Difference between revisions of "Local Chapters and Communities Working Group/Meeting minutes/2020-08-17"

From OpenStreetMap Foundation
Jump to navigation Jump to search
(→‎Present: Clarify)
(Minutes approved during the September 2020 meeting)
 
(One intermediate revision by the same user not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
<div style="margin:2em 0;border:1px solid #9B9;background:#EFE;padding:0.5em;text-align:center">
 
<font color="red">Draft Minutes</font>
 
</div>
 
 
 
''Meeting started at 15:04 UTC.''
 
''Meeting started at 15:04 UTC.''
 
-----
 
-----
Line 149: Line 145:
 
* Clifford has already talked with the chair of Wikimedia Foundations's (WMF) Affiliations Committee (AffCom) to see how WMF's handles its affiliates. Also, AffCom created a subcommittee to handle inter-user group conflicts.
 
* Clifford has already talked with the chair of Wikimedia Foundations's (WMF) Affiliations Committee (AffCom) to see how WMF's handles its affiliates. Also, AffCom created a subcommittee to handle inter-user group conflicts.
 
* <span style="background:#FFC">'''Next steps:''' Eugene to draft thoughts for this and share with WG.</span>
 
* <span style="background:#FFC">'''Next steps:''' Eugene to draft thoughts for this and share with WG.</span>
  +
  +
== Other business ==
  +
* Joost: Active Contributor Membership scheme is now fully operational. LCCWG should help spread the word.
   
 
== Next meeting ==
 
== Next meeting ==

Latest revision as of 11:36, 19 October 2020

Meeting started at 15:04 UTC.


Attendance

Present

  • Charles - ZM
  • Clifford - US
  • Eugene - PH
  • Geoffrey - UG (joined 40')
  • Joost - BE
  • Maggie - US
  • Patrick - CH

Not present

  • Ben - BE (with apologies)
  • Rob - UK (with apologies)
  • Stefano - IT

Administrative

Approval of the 2020-07-20 meeting minutes

Previous action items

Items in bold and highlighted are updates in status or new action items.
Assigned Item Status Source
Joost Do a comparison of features of various OSM websites Diary entry posted
(GL#1)
2020-01 meeting
Clifford Run a survey with existing chapters and chapters-to-be to get their views why they applied/will apply to become a chapter Summarisation is ongoing
(GL#2)
2019-11 meeting
Maggie Create SotM 2020 video presentation Mostly done
(GL#3)
2020-01 meeting
Maggie, Rob Organise Local Chapters and Communities Congress 2020 Actual planning not yet started
(GL#10)
2020-01 meeting
Eugene Work with OSM India to become an OSMF affiliate Pended for now
(GL#5)
2020-02 meeting
Maggie, Clifford Support the development of microcosm Ongoing
(GL#7)
2020-02 meeting
Maggie Provide easy-to-use welcoming tool Ongoing
(GL#8)
2020-04 meeting
Ben Update OSM website to allow messaging from groups to OSM users Ongoing
(GL#9)
2020-04 meeting
All OSMF + LC membership scheme Not yet started
(GL#11)
2020-06 meeting
Eugene User group affiliation model Not yet started
(GL#11)
GL#5

Focus items

Per the Terms of Reference, WG members should work on the focus items.

Building local community cohesion

microcosm (GL#7)

  • Maggie pinged Brian on OSM US Slack.

Welcoming new mappers (GL#8)

  • Meeting invitation to be sent out.

OSM website feature to allow messaging from groups to OSM users (GL#9)

  • No updates.

Facilitating a global exchange of ideas

Comparison of OSM websites (GL#1)

  • Joost posted a diary entry on behalf of the LCCWG.
  • Next step: Patrick to ask Simon about OSMF paying for domain names, while Joost will look for additional info.
  • Next step: Clifford and Eugene to Create OSM Wiki page for LCCWG where WG can post info.
  • Recommendation for the OSM website itself:
    • Put map to a subpage
    • More info on the landing page
    • Provide data to CWG instead of LCCWG taking the task of updating the OSM website itself.

SotM 2020 (GL#3)

  • Next step: Maggie to start a draft diary entry talking about the SotM presentation with a look at behind the scenes.

Local Chapters and Communities Congress (LCCC) (GL#10)

  • Updates: Even more responses to the LCCC form have been received:
    • 45 responses to date.
    • Preferred date is November 21 at 53% of the responses.
    • 80% can provide a recorded intro.
    • 70% have attended SotM before.
    • Most responses came from Africa thanks to Geoffrey.
  • WG agreed to set the date to November 21.
  • Next steps:
    • Create registration form.
    • Create OSM Wiki page to describe the event and provide details.
    • Create a diary post announcing the event.
  • Agenda: Input can be some of LCCWG's work. A suggestion is to invite Brian to do a demo of microcosm.
  • WG agreed to use OSMF's BBB server.
    • Next steps: Joost to ask if this is okay.

Improving the Local Chapters affiliation scheme

Local Chapters survey (GL#2)

  • Clifford started creating a draft of summary of results to HackMD.
  • Next steps:
    • Clifford to draft a blog post as well.
    • Clifford to email to Board for recommendations.
  • Clifford: Some recommendations LCCWG can take on:
    • Create a checklist for LC application process.
    • Think of ways how to help communities become more sustainable.
    • Allow recognition of thematic orgs such as HOT and GeoChicas.
  • Clifford wants to finish this task by the end of August.

OSMF membership + LC membership (GL#11)

  • Eugene sent an email to MWG.

User group affiliation model (GL#12)

  • Clifford has already talked with the chair of Wikimedia Foundations's (WMF) Affiliations Committee (AffCom) to see how WMF's handles its affiliates. Also, AffCom created a subcommittee to handle inter-user group conflicts.
  • Next steps: Eugene to draft thoughts for this and share with WG.

Other business

  • Joost: Active Contributor Membership scheme is now fully operational. LCCWG should help spread the word.

Next meeting

Next meeting will be on September 21 (third Monday) at 15:00 UTC using Mumble. Eugene will send a calendar invite.


Meeting ended at 16:07 UTC.