Local Chapters and Communities Working Group/Meeting minutes/2020-09-21

From OpenStreetMap Foundation
< Local Chapters and Communities Working Group
Revision as of 16:28, 19 October 2020 by Eugene (talk | contribs) (Minutes approved during the October 2020 meeting)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)

Meeting started at 15:05 UTC.


Attendance

Present

  • Charles - ZM
  • Clifford - US
  • Eugene - PH
  • Joost - BE
  • Maggie - US

Not present

  • Ben - BE
  • Geoffrey - UG
  • Patrick - CH (with apologies)
  • Rob - UK (with apologies)
  • Stefano - IT

Administrative

Approval of the 2020-08-17 meeting minutes

Previous action items

Items in bold and highlighted are updates in status or new action items.
Assigned Item Status Source
Joost Do a comparison of features of various OSM websites Mostly done
(GL#1)
2020-01 meeting
Clifford Run a survey with existing chapters and chapters-to-be to get their views why they applied/will apply to become a chapter Summary is mostly final
(GL#2)
2019-11 meeting
Maggie Create SotM 2020 video presentation Mostly done
(GL#3)
2020-01 meeting
Maggie, Rob Organise Local Chapters and Communities Congress 2020 Planning is ongoing
(GL#10)
2020-01 meeting
Eugene Work with OSM India to become an OSMF affiliate Pended
(GL#5)
2020-02 meeting
Maggie, Clifford Support the development of microcosm Ongoing
(GL#7)
2020-02 meeting
Maggie Provide easy-to-use welcoming tool Ongoing
(GL#8)
2020-04 meeting
Ben Update OSM website to allow messaging from groups to OSM users Ongoing
(GL#9)
2020-04 meeting
All OSMF + LC membership scheme Ongoing
(GL#11)
2020-06 meeting
Eugene User group affiliation model Not yet started
(GL#11)
GL#5

Focus items

Per the Terms of Reference, WG members should work on the focus items.

Building local community cohesion

microcosm (GL#7)

  • Clifford reached out to Brian.
  • Clifford invited Brian to present at LCCC and Brian agreed to present.

Welcoming new mappers (GL#8)

  • Planned meeting was deferred as a topic at LCCC. Possibly invite Stefano and Midgard to lead or present at this session.

OSM website feature to allow messaging from groups to OSM users (GL#9)

  • No updates.

Facilitating a global exchange of ideas

Comparison of OSM websites (GL#1)

  • OSM Wiki page for collecting results not yet created.
    • Next step: Clifford + Eugene to tackle this.
  • Dutch OSM community is planning to create a website for their community. Maybe contact Anisa from Italy.
  • OSM Seattle community uses GitHub Pages. This solution may be can be used as simple template for other groups.
  • Maggie: OSM US is planning to update their website too.
  • Joost wants to talk with technical+non-technical people.
  • Wikimedia Foundation's Affiliations Committee encourages WMF's affiliates to use the [meta.wikimedia.org/ Meta Wiki].
  • Patrick confirmed with Simon that OSMF is willing to pay for domain names on behalf of affiliates and local communities.
  • Next step: Create a new GitLab ticket to tackle the task of provided communities with easy ways of creating or maintaining their websites.

SotM 2020 (GL#3)

Local Chapters and Communities Congress (LCCC) (GL#10)

  • Maggie created an OSM Wiki event page.
  • Maggie created the registration form. There are already 63 signups.
  • Next steps:
    • Start at 12:00 UTC.
    • Create program then decide how long event will be. Possible topics/sessions:
      • Keynote talk from Allan Mustard
      • OSM new user welcoming tool
      • Website creation package/tool
      • Brian's demo of microcosm
      • LC Agreement signing ceremony for Argentina and Oceania
    • Ask attendees to submit writeup and representative photo instead of recording a short speech. Collect these and post it on the Wiki.
    • Create diary post announcement
    • Use OSMF’s BBB

Improving the Local Chapters affiliation scheme

Local Chapters survey (GL#2)

  • Clifford updated the latest version of the survey results report with help from Joost and Maggie.
  • Next steps:
    • Create blog post
    • Email recommendations to Board
    • Maybe: LCCWG to create checklist for LC application process
    • Maybe: LCCWG seek ways how to help communities become more sustainable
    • Maybe: LCCWG seek ways for OSMF to recognise thematic orgs such as HOT and GeoChicas (update GitLab ticket #12 to incorporate this idea)

OSMF membership + LC membership (GL#11)

User group affiliation model (GL#12)

  • No updates.

Other business

  • Action item: Eugene invite more people, especially those who have recently joined because of the Active Contributor Membership scheme, to join WGs.
  • Maggie: invitation to attend OSM US’ Connect 2020.

Next meeting

Next meeting will be on October 19 (third Monday) at 15:00 UTC using Mumble. Eugene will send a calendar invite.


Meeting ended at 16:06 UTC.