Local Chapters and Communities Working Group/Meeting minutes/2020-10-19

From OpenStreetMap Foundation
< Local Chapters and Communities Working Group
Revision as of 08:19, 23 November 2020 by Eugene (talk | contribs) (Create draft 2020 October minutes)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)

Draft Minutes

Meeting started at 15:18 UTC.


Attendance

Present

  • Ben - BE
  • Charles - ZM (joined at 15:42 UTC)
  • Eugene - PH
  • Maggie - US
  • Rob - UK

Not present

  • Clifford - US
  • Joost - BE
  • Geoffrey - UG
  • Patrick - CH
  • Stefano - IT

Administrative

Approval of the 2020-09-21 meeting minutes

Previous action items

Items in bold and highlighted are updates in status or new action items.
Assigned Item Status Source
Joost Do a comparison of features of various OSM websites Mostly done
(GL#1)
2020-01 meeting
Clifford Run a survey with existing chapters and chapters-to-be to get their views why they applied/will apply to become a chapter Summary is mostly final
(GL#2)
2019-11 meeting
Maggie Create SotM 2020 video presentation Mostly done
(GL#3)
2020-01 meeting
Maggie, Rob Organise Local Chapters and Communities Congress 2020 Planning is ongoing
(GL#10)
2020-01 meeting
Eugene Work with OSM India to become an OSMF affiliate Pended
(GL#5)
2020-02 meeting
Maggie, Clifford Support the development of microcosm Ongoing
(GL#7)
2020-02 meeting
Maggie Provide easy-to-use welcoming tool Ongoing
(GL#8)
2020-04 meeting
Ben Update OSM website to allow messaging from groups to OSM users Ongoing
(GL#9)
2020-04 meeting
All OSMF + LC membership scheme Ongoing
(GL#11)
2020-06 meeting
Eugene User group affiliation model Not yet started
(GL#11)
GL#5
All Website creation tool Not yet started
(GL#13)
2020-09 meeting

Focus items

Per the Terms of Reference, WG members should work on the focus items.

Building local community cohesion

microcosm (GL#7)

  • Brian will present/demo Microcosms at LCCC.

Welcoming new mappers (GL#8)

  • This will be one of the topics/sessions at LCCC.

OSM website feature to allow messaging from groups to OSM users (GL#9)

  • No updates.

Facilitating a global exchange of ideas

Comparison of OSM websites (GL#1)

  • OSM Wiki page for collecting results still not yet created.
  • This will be one of the topics/sessions at LCCC.
  • GitLab ticket #13 was created as a follow-up action item.

SotM 2020 (GL#3)

Local Chapters and Communities Congress (LCCC) (GL#10)

  • Next steps from previous meeting:
    • Create program then decide how long event will be. Proposed topics/sessions:
      • Allan's keynote
      • OSM welcome tool
      • Website creation tool
      • Brian's demo of Microcosms
      • Local Chapter Agreement signing ceremony for at least Geolibres (Argentina) and OSGeo Oceania
  • Next tasks:
    • Maggie to ask people to submit writeup + representative photo.
    • Eugene to create diary post announcement
    • Eugene to confirm with Joost if Local Chapter Agreement signing ceremony would still push through.
    • All: Promote the event
    • WG agreed to have a pre-event meeting scheduled on November 16, Monday, at 12:00 UTC. Eugene to create calendar invitation.

Improving the Local Chapters affiliation scheme

Local Chapters survey (GL#2)

  • Next steps from previous meeting:
    • Create blog post
    • Email recommendations to Board
    • LCCWG should create checklist for LC application process
    • LCCWG should seek ways how to help communities become more sustainable (financial + membership)
  • New idea: Highlight Local Chapters on the OSM website. This also creates an incentive for groups to become Local Chapters/affiliates.
    • Next task: Create GitLab ticket

OSMF membership + LC membership (GL#11)

  • Next step: Eugene to follow-up again with MWG.

User group affiliation model (GL#12)

  • No updates.

Other business

LCCWG budget

  • Propose a budget for 2021. Possible budget items:
    • OSM website development - €5000
    • Funding for 1 or 2 WG members to attend SotM 2021 (if ever it would push through) to convene/facilitate LCCC 2021

Next meeting

Next meeting will be on November 23 (fourth Monday, and after the LCCC) at 15:00 UTC using Mumble. Eugene will send a calendar invite.


Meeting ended at 16:06 UTC.