Local Chapters and Communities Working Group/Meeting minutes/2021-05-31

From OpenStreetMap Foundation
< Local Chapters and Communities Working Group
Revision as of 22:35, 26 January 2022 by AdamHoyle (talk | contribs) (Add meeting minutes)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)

LCCWG 2021-05-31 meeting

Meeting started at 14:06 UTC.

0. Attendance

Not present

  • Patrick - CH
  • Charles - ZM
  • Jonathan - BE (with apologies)
  • Maggie - US
  • Besfort - XK
  • Rob - UK
  • Sophie - HOT
  • Naveen - IN

Present

  • Anisa - IT
  • Adam - UK (joined 14:15)
  • Jorge - PT
  • Eugene - PH
  • Joost - BE
  • Geoffrey - UG (joined 14:10)

1. Administrative

1.1. Approval of the 2021-04-26 meeting minutes

https://hackmd.io/kaoy0JTURt21yX7HjrdFNg?view accepted

1.4. Previous action items

Items in bold are updates in status or new action items.

Assigned Item Status Source
Maggie, Clifford Support the development of Microcosms Ongoing
(GL#7)
2020-02 meeting
Maggie, Joost Provide a tool for communities to welcome new mappers Ongoing
(GL#8)
2020-04 meeting
Ben Update OSM website to allow affiliated groups to message OSM users Ongoing
(GL#9)
2020-04 meeting
All Resolve overlapping OSMF and LC membership scheme Ongoing
(GL#11)
2020-06 meeting
Eugene Improve the affiliation scheme of the OSMF Not yet started
(GL#12)
GL#5
All Develop/design local community website template/tool Ongoing
(GL#13)
2020-09 meeting
Adam Update OSM website to highlight LCs Ongoing
(GL#14)
2020-10 meeting
Maggie/Anisa State of the Map presentation link ongoing 2021-4 meeting
Joost bring together points of views from Local Chapters about how they deal with paid work not started 2021-4 meeting

2. WG focus items

Per the Terms of Reference, WG members should work on the focus items.

2.1. Building local community cohesion

2.1.1. Support the development of Microcosms (GL#7)

2.1.2. Provide a tool for communities to welcome new mappers (GL#8)

  • Clifford's OSM-US version: https://welcome.snowandsnow.us
    • Main issue for the US: entire US, because built on Pascal Neis's RSS
    • Relatively easy to set up.
  • Italy's tool that's based on Belgium's tool is not updated. OSM IT wants to add more features.
  • Biggest issue for getting the tool used is finding people who will actually do the welcoming.
  • If someone is available to help people set up their insatnce on one server, that might make life much easier
  • Jorge volunteer to see the feasibility of extending the tool to accommodate multiple communities.
  • Joost to help set-up a meeting between Anisa, Stefano, Midgard and Clifford.

2.1.3. Update OSM website to allow affiliated groups to message OSM users (GL#9)

2.1.4. Develop/design local community website template/tool (GL#13)

2.1.5. Update the OSM website to highlight Local Chapters (GL#14)

  • Adam: From site admin: Give a longer term vision for how the website should look like.
  • Adam: Work with Brian of Microcosm.
  • Adam:
    1. Submit an issue for the openstreetmap-website GitHub repo
    2. Do the actual work (Adam knows a Ruby dev to help)

2.1.6 Talking with local and national governments (GL#16)

2.2. Facilitating a global exchange of ideas

2.2.1. Moderation subcommittee

  • Michal provided an update during the May OSMF Board meeting.

2.2.2. SotM 2021

  • Approved submission: https://pretalx.com/sotm2021/talk/review/NPSEZMVEANQSSXHZRHYSX3AQ8WUAHXEL
  • Accepted as a panel
  • We should pre-record short clips (about 5 minutes) about what we do. Who? By when?
  • Anisa and Adam volunteer to help out
  • Anisa will follow up with Maggie
  • SotM website: Deadline for submission is on June 6th should be entirely ready (in theory)
    • Maybe confirm with SotMWG if this is the final deadline?
  • Confirm again with WG members who can submit videos.

2.2.3. Best practices around doing paid work for local chapters

  • What question to ask? How do they deal with paid work?
  • Do you pay someone for organizational support? What kind of work do they do?
  • Is there other work you pay for yourself? How do you finance this?
  • Do you help people who need someone to do paid work for them? If so how? And what kind of work? What about paid mapping?
  • Do you this yourself or with an umbrella? (we kind of already know)
  • What do you feel is appropriate for Local Chapters to do?
  • Joost to do this mini-survey

2.3. Improving the Local Chapters affiliation scheme

2.3.1. Resolve overlapping OSMF and LC membership scheme (GL#11)

  • No updates

2.3.3. Improve the affiliation scheme of the OSMF (GL#12)

  • No updates

3. Next meeting

Next meeting is on June 28 starting at 14:00 UTC.



Meeting ended at 15:05 UTC.