Difference between revisions of "OSMF updates/2018-03"

From OpenStreetMap Foundation
m (+ ongoing membership consultation for OSM-BE LC app, - comm. consultation, - draft status +red font highlight that the report does not go through formal acceptance process)
m (modifications suggested by WGs)
Line 144: Line 144:
 
<b>Updated OSMF Trademark Policy</b>: [https://blog.openstreetmap.org/2018/03/02/updated-osmf-trademark-policy/ Announcement]
 
<b>Updated OSMF Trademark Policy</b>: [https://blog.openstreetmap.org/2018/03/02/updated-osmf-trademark-policy/ Announcement]
 
<br><b>OpenIPMap</b>: Trademark related issue.
 
<br><b>OpenIPMap</b>: Trademark related issue.
<br><b>Mapbox “validation”</b>: It creates a derivative database.
 
 
<br><b>GDPR Document</b>: The document has been reworked to rely on “legitimate interests” as the base for “lawful processing” and assumes third parties processing the full data will operate as independent controllers. Discussion about minors who map, as well as Working Groups. The document will be forwarded to the board and to a larger audience.
 
<br><b>GDPR Document</b>: The document has been reworked to rely on “legitimate interests” as the base for “lawful processing” and assumes third parties processing the full data will operate as independent controllers. Discussion about minors who map, as well as Working Groups. The document will be forwarded to the board and to a larger audience.
   
Line 254: Line 253:
 
<b>State of the Map 2019:</b>
 
<b>State of the Map 2019:</b>
 
*<b>Call of venues [https://blog.openstreetmap.org/2018/03/27/state-of-the-map-2019-call-for-venues-open/ open]</b>. Assemble your team and propose your city as host for the next international OpenStreetmap conference. Deadline: 6th May 2018.
 
*<b>Call of venues [https://blog.openstreetmap.org/2018/03/27/state-of-the-map-2019-call-for-venues-open/ open]</b>. Assemble your team and propose your city as host for the next international OpenStreetmap conference. Deadline: 6th May 2018.
  +
  +
<b>Other:</b>
  +
* <b>Supported a regionally organised SotM team</b> with advice on their budget.
   
 
{| style="color: grey; background-color: #d3d3d3;
 
{| style="color: grey; background-color: #d3d3d3;

Revision as of 23:14, 11 April 2018

OSMF updates - March 2018

  • Content: Highlighting updates related to the Foundation - mostly news from the volunteer Working Groups, the Board of Directors, the Local Chapters, the Advisory Board members and some project news.
  • Details: For more details you are invited to read the minutes or reports of the Board and the Working Groups (links on each section).
  • Accuracy: These reports do not go through a formal acceptance process, like the Board minutes are. This might change. The March 2018 OSMF report, and probably the following ones, will be made known to the Working Groups first, before being sent to the membership.
  • Previous reports: here
Groups: Comm | Data | Eng | Legal | Memb | Ops | SotM | Chapters | AB | Board || Project

Communication Working Group

General info Communication Working Group, Join
Meetings
Regularity Monthly, on the 2nd Thursday of the month at 19:00 London Time on IRC server oftc.net channel #osm-cwg
Next meeting April 12th, 19:00 London Time
Previous minutes March

RSS button added to blog.openstreetmap.org: Subscribe with your favourite RSS reader.
Sending e-mail validation notice to newly created OSMF wiki accounts: Discussed, as the first edit on the OSMF wiki fails if the new user has not validated her/his email addres.
Translation of OSMF webpages by volunteers: Suggestion by two members of the French OSM community - for both "stable" pages, as well as for board minutes. The problem of mistranslation was also discussed and it was decided to contact the board (background and board discussion).
Press releases related to blog posts: A CWG member offered to help with writing but someone else has to send the releases. Suggestion to add quotes from board members.

Groups: Comm | Data | Eng | Legal | Memb | Ops | SotM | Chapters | AB | Board || Project

Data Working Group

General info Data Working Group, Join
Meetings
Regularity Bimonthly
Next meeting
Previous minutes January
  • Ongoing: Resolving issues in copyright violation, disputes, vandalism and detecting and stopping vandalism and imports that do not comply with guidelines
  • Ongoing: Directed Editing Policy
Groups: Comm | Data | Eng | Legal | Memb | Ops | SotM | Chapters | AB | Board || Project

Engineering Working Group

General info Engineering Working Group, Join
Meetings
Regularity Monthly or more frequent
Next meeting April 19th, 19:00 UTC
Previous minutes March

Google Summer of Code:

  • Announcement
  • Less applications than last year. Might distribute a press release.
  • A blog post has been published by Paul, targeted at students interested in API-related GSoC projects.
  • Decision not to make the provision of challenges to students a requirement.
  • GSoC project ideas that need work have been moved to an incubator subpage.
  • Requests from potential mentors to be added to the mentors' mailing list should be addressed to Peter.

The list of the Top Ten Tasks, that the Engineering Working Group would really like your development help on, has been updated. Plan to notify the dev mailing list, and possibly publish a blog post.

Groups: Comm | Data | Eng | Legal | Memb | Ops | SotM | Chapters | AB | Board || Project

Licensing Working Group

General info Licensing Working Group, Join
Meetings
Regularity Monthly on the 2nd Thursday of the month, at 20:00 UTC, on Mumble, unless rescheduled.
Next meeting April 12th, 2018 at 20:00 UTC on Mumble
Previous minutes March

Updated OSMF Trademark Policy: Announcement
OpenIPMap: Trademark related issue.
GDPR Document: The document has been reworked to rely on “legitimate interests” as the base for “lawful processing” and assumes third parties processing the full data will operate as independent controllers. Discussion about minors who map, as well as Working Groups. The document will be forwarded to the board and to a larger audience.

Groups: Comm | Data | Eng | Legal | Memb | Ops | SotM | Chapters | AB | Board || Project

Membership Working Group

General info Membership Working Group, Join
Meetings
Regularity As the needs arises
Next meeting
Previous minutes March

New MWG member: Heather Leson.
Missing membership reminder emails
Social Survey Engine: The MWG will work on this (Related background and Board discussion)
OSMF membership badge on osm.org: The MWG is working on showing that someone is an OSMF member on their osm.org profile, upon request.
Membership growth plan: No document exists.
Best channel for restarting osmf-announcements: CiviCRM, as it is synced with our Membership database.
Membership fee waiver program: The document has not been finalised. Issues with the current draft will be listed and a draft documenting the procedures will be written.

Groups: Comm | Data | Eng | Legal | Memb | Ops | SotM | Chapters | AB | Board || Project

Operations Working Group

General info Operations Working Group, Join
Meetings
Regularity Bimonthly
Next meeting
Previous minutes December 2017
  • Ongoing: Data centre arrangements (The request for proposals has closed).
  • Ongoing: Ensuring the operation and smooth running of the XML editing API and data distribution services.
Groups: Comm | Data | Eng | Legal | Memb | Ops | SotM | Chapters | AB | Board || Project

State of the Map Organising Committee

General info State of the Map Working Group Join
Meetings
Regularity Bi/weekly
Next meeting
Previous minutes No minutes are published as the WG has limited resources. Feel free to join. Issues tracked internally.

State of the Map 2018:

  • The community survey for the program has closed.
  • SotM 2018 "Early Bird" discounted tickets now on sale (Feb).

State of the Map 2019:

  • Call of venues open. Assemble your team and propose your city as host for the next international OpenStreetmap conference. Deadline: 6th May 2018.

Other:

  • Supported a regionally organised SotM team with advice on their budget.
Groups: Comm | Data | Eng | Legal | Memb | Ops | SotM | Chapters | AB | Board || Project

Local Chapters

LC applications

Belgium

OpenStreetMap Belgium has applied to become the OSMF Local Chapter for Belgium. All necessary documents and translations have been received. Ongoing: membership consultation.

Slovakia

Freemap Slovakia has applied to become the OSMF Local Chapter for the Slovak Republic. Pending: receiving translations of documents.

Groups: Comm | Data | Eng | Legal | Memb | Ops | SotM | Chapters | AB | Board || Project

Advisory Board

  • The Licensing Working Group (LWG) has reached the Advisory Board (AB) members to get feedback on the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). (More about GDPR on the Licensing Working Group section).
  • The State of the Map Working Group has contacted the AB members for help with the scoring of the SotM 2018 scholarships.
Groups: Comm | Data | Eng | Legal | Memb | Ops | SotM | Chapters | AB | Board || Project

Board of Directors

General info OSM Foundation, Join the Foundation
Meetings
Regularity Monthly on the 3rd Thursday of the month, at 21:00 London time, unless rescheduled
Next meeting April 19th, 2018 at 21:00 London time on Mumble
Previous minutes Minutes

OSMF-owned engine for social surveys: Topic was added before we got the limesurvey account for the SotM-WG survey. Discussion deferred.
SotMs as an opportunity to increase membership: Decision to offer the SotM ticket discount this year. People who have already purchased SotM 2018 tickets will be offered partial refunds or a donation will be suggested.
Board reminder/communications about etiquette guidelines: Paul and Mikel to look at the ten most active mailing lists and see if people listed as admins are active in the moderator role, what is in place, and how they manage the lists. Decision to send a reminder about etiquette soon.
GDPR preparation update: Brussels privacy lab has volunteer to review the draft. The frequency of the updates on the board agenda was also discussed.
Translations of OSMF webpages by volunteers: There are currently some "stable" pages that have *official* translations on the OSMF wiki, one that has an unofficial translation on the OSMF website and some more unofficial translations (hosted elsewhere) are linked from the site. Issues mentioned: maintenance, quality, endorsement and accessibility. Discussion will continue offline.
Advisory Board internal processes: Discussed during the AB monthly update. Wish to see more voices active and more discussion. Suggestions: to make it clear that we want to keep the current status and to explicitly ask the opinion of AB members who may have not answered to a query.
Diversity in OSM: Suggestion for the topic to be added on the agenda of the Face-to-Face board meeting in April.

Groups: Comm | Data | Eng | Legal | Memb | Ops | SotM | Chapters | AB | Board || Project

Project news

1 milllion map contributors!