The OpenStreetMap Foundation is a UK-registered not-for-profit organization that supports the OpenStreetMap Project. The OpenStreetMap Project based at OpenStreetMap.org, is the worldwide mapping effort that includes more than 400,000 volunteers around the globe.
Much of the foundation’s extensive work is done in the background, yet is critical to the ongoing functioning and growth of the OpenStreetMap Project.
The foundation supports the project with several key functions:
- As a UK-registered limited company, the foundation acts as a legal entity for the OpenStreetMap Project.
- The foundation is the custodian for the computer servers and services necessary to host the OpenStreetMap project.
- Provides a vehicle for fund-raising to support the project. The foundation can accept donations for the OpenStreetMap Project and allocate those donations to OpenStreetMap Project activities.
- Organizes the annual conference, State-of-the-map.
- Supports and communicates with the working groups, such as communications, licensing, etc. The foundation board at times will delegate various tasks to working groups, such as public relations, Web site development, etc.
OpenStreetMap is an open initiative to create and provide free map data to anyone who wants them.
Name & Registered Office:
132 Maney Hill Road
A company limited by guarantee, registered in England and Wales.
Company Registration Number: 05912761