Operations/Minutes/2020-08-26

From OpenStreetMap Foundation
Jump to navigation Jump to search
The printable version is no longer supported and may have rendering errors. Please update your browser bookmarks and please use the default browser print function instead.

Draft minutes

OpenStreetMap Foundation, Operations Meeting* - Agenda & Minutes
Wednesday August 26th 2020, 18:00 London time
Location: Video room at https://osmvideo.cloud68.co

* Please note that this was not strictly an OWG meeting.

Participants

Present:

Minutes by Dorothea.

Administrative

Previous minutes

2020-08-12

Action items from this meeting

  • Tom and Grant to figure out the expansion of the dataset [Topic: Fastly Evaluation]
  • Grant to have a call with AWS person about free credits and our plans. [Topic: AWS]
  • Tom to get a banner/message on Trac site before we make it read only [Topic: Deprecating Trac]
  • Tom to look at road ahead for OAuth. [Topic: Merge forums, OSQA, MLs to discourse?]
  • Grant to talk to Ian about migrating old content to Discourse. [Topic: Merge forums, OSQA, MLs to discourse?]
  • Paul to reach out to Jochan to see if there's anything we can do to support. [Topic: Diff replication]
  • [Not assigned] Create Github ticket for updated OAuth. [Topic: Merge forums, OSQA, MLs to discourse?]
  • [Not assigned] Bring up issue of logging with Fastly support to assess support responsiveness. [Topic: Updating tile logging system]

Reportage and action item updates

Enabling Bittorent planet file

(Related to past action item)

  • Christian to join topic on Github.
  • New torrent file every time.
    • RSS for planet files suggested by Grant, supported by some clients.
    • Not in favour of torrents that support updating: draft spec, not supported by most of the clients.

Some topics have been reordered.

Fastly Evaluation

  1. Is it easier to administer?
  2. Is it fast enough?
  3. Is the 80% cache hit ratio okay?

Current architecture has L1+L2 caches at edge, and large tile store on render servers. L1+L2 combined cache hit ratio is 97.5%. Discuss options.

Expanding the dataset

Suggestion to expand to regions that we cannot serve well ourselves:

  • Indian subcontinent
  • Middle East
  • Africa
  • Far East

Need visibility initially, to chek that it is actually working.

Action item: Tom and Grant to figure out the expansion of the dataset.

  • Pull request by community member for banner graphic on www.osm.org advertising Active Contributor Membership program.
  • Graph not ready yet, the one suggested does not meet technical requirements.
  • Banner policy written by OWG is only about events.
  • Banner has been added to adware blocking lists before, people don't want us to advertise things on our website. Might get us blocked on more.

Suggestion: Defer decision to CWG.

AWS

  • Ian brought Grant in contact with Open Source manager of AWS.
  • AWS account manager also wanted to chat to us at some stage.
  • Grant turned on some monitoring API and might start running monitoring tools on CloudWatch Logs Insights and 3rd party monitoring.
    • Will probably not cost above a couple of GBP/month.
    • Longer term: policies.

Action item: Grant to have a call with AWS person about free credits and our plans.

Imagery

30' Allan had to leave

Ultimate goal: make imagery available for mapping that no one else has made available yet. Low maintainance and many people involved.

  • Roadmap not defined.
  • Few interested and experienced people on OSM Slack channel.
  • Minimum viable product: smallest thing we can do with real value
    • how to get these people involved.
    • how do we host something like this and grow it.

Region/country imagery datasets that we can reasonably host in AWS

  • UK: Surrey imagery
  • NZ: complete coverage at high resolution.
  • CR: some imagery

Suggestions

  • Provide some server/account space to a few interested people.
  • Put budget we're willing to spend and monitor it.
  • Ask editors for some words on quality of imagery.
  • Contact OpenAerialMap?

Hrvoje can also ask people he knows.

Disks needed and where to go

Bytemark - at least 3 disks needed to go there.
Tickets tagged - Help to Grant appreciated.

Updating tile logging system

  • Custom tile log aggregator , written by Matt in C++, can only read Squid logs.
  • We want to replace Squid loging by Nginx loging.
  • Suggestion to hold on till we see what will happen with Fastly, as the logs won't be on our servers.

Action item: Bring up issue of logging with Fastly support to assess support responsiveness.

Open Ops Tickets

Review open, what needs policy and what needs someone to help with.
https://github.com/openstreetmap/operations/issues

Deprecating Trac

https://github.com/openstreetmap/operations/issues/416

Andy Allan is ok.
mmd linked to Github issue.

Action item: Tom to get a banner/message on Trac site before we make it read only.

Merge forums, OSQA, MLs to discourse?

https://github.com/openstreetmap/operations/issues/377

Ian's input (relayed):

  • Would like to do a bigger trial of Discourse.
  • Got import of data from forum/help working.
  • Suggestions:
    • set-up instance that can become production-ready.
    • start from a blank slate on a new instance of Discourse and make past content read-only.
    • link email to Discourse, so it can replace functionality of lists.

Other points during discussion

  • People put a lot of energy into help, to be a long-term reference.
  • Grant offered to help with Chef.
  • Goal: potentially deprecate lists and help.osm.org when Discourse start working reasonably well.

Concern: Linking with old content.

Suggestion: Migrate content, even with dummy users.

On authentication

  • Suggestion to integrate login support, so people can login with OSM account.
  • Would be perfect for MWG's active contributor membership, currently checked by hand.
  • We have built our permission system on top of OAuth 1. OAuth 2 has permission system buillt in.
  • Software were using has OAuth 2 support, but there might be better alternatives.
  • Andy Allan might be able to give guidance or share his opinions.

Action items:

  • Tom to look at road ahead for updated OAuth.
  • Grant to talk to Ian about migrating old content.
  • Create Github ticket for updated OAuth.

Diff replication

https://github.com/openstreetmap/operations/issues/154

Action item: Paul to reach out to Jochan to see if there's anything we can do to support.

Next meeting

Wednesday, 9th of September 2020, 18:00 London time