Operations Working Group/Minutes/2020-04-10
OpenStreetMap Foundation, Operations meeting
Friday 10th April 2020, 18:00 - 19:00 London time
- You can have your camera switched off.
- A brief meeting to test the videoconferencing service will take place two days before, on Wednesday, April 8th, 18:00 London time, in the same room.
- 1 Welcome
- 2 Expected participants
- 3 Draft agenda
- 4 New Data Centre Space?
Anyone who wants to help the OWG is welcome to attend. We are looking for people who can:
- Help with technical problems (please note that we are not looking for sysadmins).
- Assist in long term planning.
- Respond to emails.
- Help us build necessary tools, e.g. for automating account deletion/change of email address (making it self-service via website).
- Grant Slater (OWG)
- Tom Hughes (OWG)
- Paul Norman (OWG, board)
- Radoje Stojisic (OWG)
- Joost Schouppe (Board, MWG)
- Mikel Maron (Board, SotM-WG)
- Guillaume Rischard (Board, DWG, MWG)
- Michal Migurski
- Ian Dees
- Anyone else who wants to help the OWG (please note that we are not looking for sysadmins)
Fixing the failing CI tests
Issue: Unreliable https://github.com/openstreetmap/chef/actions
Should we make Github Primary? Should we move git.openstreetmap.org to another data centre?
Open Ops Tickets
Review open, what needs policy and what needs someone to help with...
Tile CDN usage policy (OSM, Friends, Others?)
Can we continue to be be open to the world, what policies (not yet actions) can we put in place now to encourage people to move to other providers? eg: Do we continue to allow Commercial Sites to use tile.openstreetmap.org ?
High Availability / Redundancy of OpenStreetMap.org (and primary services)
Where do we currently stand? (Hot/Cold/Redundancy etc)
What do we still need to do?
Should we get another Data Centre? (See Below)
Squid / nginx / GeoDNS? Is the software right? Issues and improvement.
What experiments should we be doing to improve the network.
Commercial CDN for Bulk Tile Users
Fastly has expressed interest in supporting OSM
Proposal: move tile.osm.org traffic to Fastly CDN with a longer cache timeout and adjust friendly clients that need more up-to-date tiles to use existing CDN
New Data Centre Space?
DE: DECIX may be able to offer us some rackspace, but we'd need our own ASN + address space allocation. br>
AMS AM6 "In this list, I would suggest approaching Core-Backbone: they already sponsor some community projects such as https://www.community-ix.de/sponsoren/ " - Baptiste Jonglez