Working Groups are the main way in which the Foundation supports OSM in specific areas. Some are more active than others. Working Groups may include a member of the board.
Like everything in OpenStreetMap, we are very open and always welcome new working group members and helpers. If you support the ideals of OpenStreetMap and open data and want to help, just email the group that interests you.
Follow the links on this page to find out more about what each group does and who its members are.
- Handle issues relating the the current license for OSM data
- Migrating to a new license.
- Resolution of issues in copyright violation, disputes, vandalism, and bots, beyond the normal means of the community.
- Helping to set policy on data.
- Planning and maintenance of the OSM API and servers.
- Handling software development paid for by the OSMF
- Putting out calls for proposals on tasks of interest, and accepting proposals on other tasks
- Offering a platform for coordination of software development efforts across the OSM ecosystem
- Managing OSM’s participation in software mentorship programs
- Maintaining blog.openstreetmap.org and OpenStreetMap on twitter and facebook. Announcements and project news written with the official "voice of the foundation"
- Responding to press contacts.
- Oversight of design and content on osmfoundation.org
- Organization and execution of the annual OpenStreetMap Foundation Conference "The State of the Map"
- Administering the membership database
- Answering routine membership queries
- Increasing OSMF Membership
- Encouraging local groups to become Local Chapters
- Seeking ways to help local communities build cohesion
- Facilitating a global exchange of ideas among Local Chapters and communities
- Reviewing and improving the Local Chapters affiliation scheme