Board/Minutes/2020-03-F2F/Sustaining and fortifying OSM
< Board | Minutes | 2020-03-F2F
Each board member was initially asked to list their two most urgent operational and infrastructure needs.
Discussion was then on the following:
What is the situation
What do we need to discuss
Disposition on paid staffing
- Paid staffing comes with risk, where does money come from?
- Companies are willing to invest substantial amounts.
- Concern of big donors expecting to have substantial control.
- In terms of influence, we need to discuss and we need to tap and learn from other FLOSS communities.
- Pursue diversified strategy, pursue other sources of money.
- Concern about moving on this before talking to sysadmins.
- Need a structured sense of OSM in 2-5 years from now.
- Not just sysadmins, also seeing strain on finance side, banking, might have to move Foundation to another country, it’s a lot of work, conversation should be broader.
Action item: Scope out possible scenarios for possible paid staff, including risks.
- Structured way of working with Dorothea.
- Concern about confidentiality /HR issues.
Action item: Scoping out boundaries on committee, safety measures, how to mitigate effects on volunteers, e.g. de-motivation.
Who to take the above action items forward: Allan, Mikel (action owner), Joost, Tobias
Scope out fundraising structure
- Committee? Working Group?
- Need to figure out to manage and spend money.
- Need to do research on strategies for increasing revenue.
Action item: Guillaume and Allan to move forward on proposal.