Board/Minutes/2021-02-S2S/Encouraging more volunteers to join other working groups
Encouraging more volunteers to join other working groups
Notes by participants. Might be enriched.
This session took place in parallel with "Reality-based assessment of risks and opportunities of collaboration of work with other OSM actors". A summary was provided to the other group.
- Allan Mustard
- Eugene Alvin Villar
- Guillaume Rischard
- Jean-Marc Liotier (facilitator for this session)
The rest of the board members participated in the parallel session.
Also present: Dorothea Kazazi (administrative assistant)
Not an unusual problem in non-profits - maybe no magic solution.
Lack of actual participation compounds the low membership numbers.
Reasons for lack of volunteers in Working Groups (WGs):
- Lack of interest, actually a good thing when people do things without bothering with Working Group bureaucracy.
- Lack of knowledge of working group.
- Lack of awareness that the working group even exists.
- Ignorance of the fun problems.
- Fear of workload.
- Join working groups but leave demotivated or disgusted.
- Lack of appreciation - invisible work.
- Frustration with Board over veto, though actual veto is rare.
Recruiting and retention are distinct problems.
HOT ran a campaign promoting HOT working groups - we should look into that.
- Periodical Working Group showcase making work visible and recognized.
- Working group active member roster.
- Token of appreciation (beers, chocolate, desk trophies etc.)
- How to prevent burnout?
- Look at where engagement and retention succeeded - State of the Map organising committee (SotM WG) for example.
Working group awareness campaign
- Interviews with Working Groups.
- Promote interview & article (WeeklyOSM etc.).
- Show how working groups take initiative independent from the board.
- Each working group keep a list of specific tasks that need help. First concrete task can act as the onboarding scaffold.
Have interested Working Groups prepare for arrival of new members
- Express needs.
- Detail concrete tasks.
- Ready for multilingualism. Linguistic subgroups could liberate energies - needs an English-speaking liaison.
- On-boarding - make it obvious.
- Data Working Group (DWG) has a new member primer, but such documentation gets obsolete fast.
- Blog article.
- (Use the same promotion steps that was done with the survey).
- State of the Map organising committee (SotM WG) had a membership drive (and blog post) as part of the preparation for the State of the Map conference.
- Create a volunteer appreciation program (buy and send tokens to valued community and Working Group volunteers).
- Start using Microsoft Translator + DeepL.
- Eugene to ask HOT how their Working Group drive went.
- Guillaume to collect list of volunteers to send beers and chocolate and hats to.