Board/Minutes/2021-12

From OpenStreetMap Foundation
< Board‎ | Minutes

Participants

Board members

  • Amanda McCann (chaired the meeting till the election of the Chairperson)
  • Eugene Alvin Villar
  • Guillaume Rischard
  • Jean-Marc Liotier (technical issues, was able to participate properly from 30' after the start of the meeting)
  • Mikel Maron
  • Tobias Knerr

Officers and board
Biographies

Absent

  • Roland Olbricht (Apologies)

Guests

Open to all OSMF members.

You are welcome to ask questions or to comment (via voice or on the chat) at the end of the meeting.

  • Please mute your microphone when you join, and to preserve bandwidth, refrain from turning on your webcam.
  • If you are in a low-bandwidth environment, you may benefit from using BigBlueButton's low-bandwidth settings. To assess them, click on the 3 dots on the top right of the black video-window.

Election of officers

Voting for Chairperson

Nominee for Chairperson: Guillaume Rischard

Guillaume Rischard was elected as the Chairperson with 5 votes in favour: Amanda McCann, Eugene Alvin Villar, Guillaume Rischard, Mikel Maron, Tobias Knerr.
2 not voted: Roland Olbricht (absent), Jean-Marc Liotier (technical issues)

Other points mentioned during discussion

  • It had been suggested (on the board chat channel) to split the role of the Chairperson, with one board member doing the public communication and the other chairing the meetings.
  • Guillaume is ok with doing both the Chairpersons main and public communication roles and the Treasurer transition.
  • Roland had mentioned via email that he support's Guillaume's candidacy as a Chairperson.

Guillaume chaired the rest of the meeting.

Voting for Treasurer

Nominee for Treasurer: Roland Olbricht (expressed candidacy via email)

Roland Olbricht was elected as the Treasurer with 5 votes in favour: Amanda McCann, Eugene Alvin Villar, Guillaume Rischard, Mikel Maron, Tobias Knerr.
2 not voted: Roland Olbricht (absent), Jean-Marc Liotier (technical issues)

  • Comment that if due to formality this vote is considered to not be valid, the board can confirm the election of the Treasurer at the next meeting.

Voting for Secretary

Nominee for Secretary: Amanda McCann

Amanda McCann was elected as the Secretary with 5 votes in favour: Amanda McCann, Eugene Alvin Villar, Guillaume Rischard, Mikel Maron, Tobias Knerr.
2 not voted: Roland Olbricht (absent), Jean-Marc Liotier (technical issues)

Administrative

Previous minutes

Circular Resolutions

2021/Res45 Approve active contributor membership application 2021120610000079

The Board currently decides on active contributor membership applications based on non-mapping contributions on a case-by-case basis.

Not passed on 2021-12-22 with
2 votes against:
Amanda McCann (This current application is incomplete, and does not provide any details on their recent contributions. I am voting “no, not yet”, and recommend they reapply with more details)
Tobias Knerr (Needs more detail on non-mapping activities if they are to be the basis of the Active Contributor Membership).
3 abstained:
Mikel Maron (Needs more specifics on activities over past year)
Roland Olbricht (Too few information to make a substantiated decision)
Eugene Alvin Villar (Seems to be a trusted member of a local chapter, but with barely any mapping activity, the submitted info is not enough to properly gauge the applicant's contributions to OSM. Recommend that the applicant re-apply with more details).
2 not voted: Guillaume Rischard, Jean-Marc Liotier,

Application initially processed by the Membership Working Group.

2021/Res46 Approve active contributor membership application 2021120510000197

The Board currently decides on active contributor membership applications based on non-mapping contributions on a case-by-case basis.

Accepted on 2021-12-22 with 6 votes in favour:
Roland Olbricht (Looks like OSM [country] has indeed the size where a treasurer has substantial work to do).
Mikel Maron
Amanda McCann (I didn't if “does paperwork” counts as “contributing to OSM”, however, I also know that it's a type of thankless boring work that keeps the groups functioning).
Eugene Alvin Villar
Jean-Marc Liotier (Good [person] all around, comes recommended by Openstreetmap [other country])
Tobias Knerr (A treasurer role in a national community seems sufficient for Active Contributor Membership).
1 not voted: Guillaume Rischard

Application initially processed by the Membership Working Group.

Words in brackets have been changed, to avoid identification of the applicant.

Action item updates

See Board/Action_Items.

Reportage

On hiring the Senior Site Reliability Engineer

Guillaume and Mikel edited the contract and the employee's handbook for the selected, future Senior Site Reliability Engineer (SSRE). Will get back to TimelessTime (company that is helping with drafting the contract).

Bitcoin donation

On 2021-12-09 OSMF received 1 bitcoin as a donation. OSMF has also received an email claiming that the 1 bitcoin was sent by mistake, as the specific transaction was supposed to be for 0.01 btc and a request to send "back" the amount to a different bitcoin address.

Etiquette Guidelines

Rejected: removal of edit-shaming

Points mentioned during discussion

  • Concern on editing the text that the moderation subcommittee proposed. Suggestion: Offer a recommendation to the moderation team on how to interpret the edit-shaming language. (Suggested by Tobias and agreed by Eugene).
    • Might make guidelines less readable.
  • We can remove edit-shaming today and add it later if needed or the other way round (Amanda).
  • Edit-shaming was added late in the process of the community consultation.
  • Living guidance document should be created/modified by the moderators.

Comments by members of the Local Chapters and Communities Working Group (LCCWG) moderation subcommittee

  • Maggie Cawley: It was recommended to add by a community member and we did our best to honor those suggestions but agree with Tobias - all of the examples are there as examples to be interpreted in good faith by the moderators
  • Steve Frield: We've also been through multiple public rounds of community input.
  • Heather Leson: We have a living guidance document started. [note: for the moderators]
  • Rob Nickerson: Always option to make changes after some period of time. Feels like it is best to approve the working group led draft and monitor it. Make changes later if needed.

Rejected: removal of language "for example", "such as"

Decision

Points mentioned during discussion

On moderation team

  • The board never empowered the LCCWG moderation subcommittee to appoint the moderation team, only to make a proposal.

Screen-to-screen/face-to-face board meeting in 2022

Decisions

Action item: Amanda to find suitable dates in the first quarter of 2022 for the screen-to-screen board meeting and reach out to Gunner.

Holiday circular blackout

Decision

The board to impose a blackout period on voting on circular resolutions from 22 December 2021 to 9 January 2022.

Approved with 5 votes in favour: Amanda McCann, Eugene Alvin Villar, Jean-Marc Liotier, Mikel Maron, Tobias Knerr

  • 1 abstained: Guillaume Rischard
  • 1 not voted: Roland Olbricht (absent)

Any other business

None.

Guest comments or questions

No comments or questions during this section.

Next meeting

Action item: Amanda to find suitable recurring dates and times for board meetings and mid-month board chats before the 22nd of December 2021.


Open board meetings take place online once a month. This was the first meeting of the board after the board election on 2021-12-11 so the recurring meeting day and time has not been set yet.

See the Monthly Board meetings page to find out where board meetings are announced and for a subscription link to have future board meetings automatically added to your calendar.


Meeting adjourned ~43' after start.

Acronyms