Licensing Working Group/Minutes/2022-10-13

From OpenStreetMap Foundation

OpenStreetMap Foundation, Licensing Working Group (LWG) - Agenda & Minutes
13 Octomber 2022, 17:30 UTC

Accepted on 10 November 2022.

Participants

  • Tom Hummel
  • Kathleen Lu (Chairing)
  • Guillaume Rischard (OSMF board) (joined 21’ after start)
  • Simon Hughes (joined 21’ after start)
  • Tom Lee (joined 26’ after start)

Guest

Absent

  • Dermot McNally

LWG members
Minutes by Dorothea Kazazi

Administrative

Adoption of past minutes

Previous action items

  • 2017-03-02 Simon Poole to determine existing obligations towards sources listed on the copyright page.
  • 2017-05-04 All/Simon Poole to review import guidelines with regards to licence “approval”.
  • 2018-03-08 All to look at the Working Groups collecting personal information.
  • 2018-04-12 LWG to follow-up on the iD editor, as the number of changesets is now included on the changeset comments thread.
  • 2019-01-10 Simon Poole to draft text to developers of apps related to geo/mapping, having OSM in their names or using variations of our logo.
  • 2019-02-14 Simon Poole to summarise the advice regarding information requests from law enforcement and send it around.
  • 2019-12-12 Simon Poole to discuss trademark registration strategy (more countries, additional classes, etc) with lawdit
  • 2020-01-09 Simon Poole to include text about downstream produced works to the FAQ.
  • 2020-03-12 Simon Poole to send to Mateusz the link with the research by Kathleen Lu on attribution on various apps.
  • 2020-09-10 Simon Poole to set-up call with Kathleen Lu and our UK lawyer about trademarks.
  • 2020-10-08 Jim Vidano to work on updating the privacy policy in relation to OSMF's use of a commercial CDN, and Kathleen Lu will have a look at it.
  • 2020-10-08 Simon Poole and Guillaume Rischard to look at the translation issue of the copyright policy page.
  • 2020-10-08 Simon Poole to send his Moovit contact to Guillaume Rischard.
  • 2020-10-08 Simon Poole to send a summary of which action items need to be done.
  • 2021-01-14 Guillaume Rischard to report on Board status re identification of outside counsel
  • 2021-02-11 Kathleen Lu to check LWG-specific membership requirements on the OSMF website and Conflict of Interest policy and provide to Dorothea any updates for the website.
  • 2021-03-11 Guillaume Rischard to sort out various email issues - Making sure Dermot McNally is on the main legal mailing issue, making sure everyone is getting OTRS email notifications for the legal queue.
  • 2021-07-08 Guillaume Rischard to meet with Dermot McNally about using OTRS.
  • 2021-07-08 LWG members to provide comment on the HOT draft trademark agreement on the next meeting.
  • 2021-07-08 Jim Vidano to look at next steps for Opensnowmap.org paperwork after the trademark request has been approved by the board.
  • 2021-07-08 Dermot McNally to ask Tobias for expected outcome regarding the request for change of the text of the standard tile license.
  • 2021-08-12 Tom Hummel to suggest text to be published regarding OSMF's legitimate interest in processing personal data.
  • 2021-08-12 Dermot McNally to reply to Tobias about simplifying the text of the tile licence.
  • 2021-08-12 Dermot McNally to make the pull request on Github openstreemap-website regarding attribution requirements for OSMF tiles
  • 2021-08-12 Dermot McNally to communicate back to contacts regarding Australian data attribution and suggest filling the waiver template.
  • 2021-08-12 LWG to identify OSMF legal texts that might be needed under German law to be in German.
  • 2021-09-09 Jim Vidano to ask Simon Poole whether he has previous emails contacting companies that were not displaying attribution.
  • 2021-09-09 Guillaume Rischard to check past emails (e.g. last year ones related to case in Germany where they settled in court) for any sent to companies not complying with attribution requirements and to send what he finds, including links to the Github repositories with the lists of not complying organisations, to the Signal group.
  • 2021-09-09 Jim Vidano and Dermot McNally (2021-12-09) to create a draft template email for the community to contact organisations regarding non compliance with the attribution guidelines
  • 2021-09-09 Dermot McNally to reply to Jean-Marc Liotier (board of directors) with the LWG decision to create a template email for minor cases of non-compliance with the attribution guidelines available to the community and the LWG to directly contact bigger companies.
  • 2022-01-13 Simon Hughes to download a copy of the Copyright FAQ page and mark anything that is not matching the attribution guidelines or is confusing and circulate that to the LWG.
  • 2022-04-14 Guillaume Rischard to ask Tom Hughes to see how many translations of the Copyright and Copyright FAQ page are live. Topic Needed: Update to Copyright FAQ page to match new attribution guidelines
  • 2022-04-14 Guillaume Rischard to talk to Grant Slater (Senior Site Reliability Engineer) about cutting tile access to Impresa Italia. Topic Impresa Italia - Missing attribution case of commercial site using our tiles
  • 2022-04-14 Guillaume Rischard to update agenda with Navionics (Garmin) success. Topic Fixing attribution success
  • 2022-06-09 Guillaume Rischard to check with Amanda regarding the return-to address she used to the letter about printed maps with false copyright
  • 2022-06-09 Guillaume Rischard to check with the rest of the board about the advice on CWG with LWG to rework the copyright page.
  • 2022-09-15 Dermot McNally to send an email to the companies mentioned on Ticket#2022011910000082 and Ticket#202201261000014
  • 2022-09-15 Guillaume Rischard to ask Eugene Villar (board member from Philippines) about any evidence of OSM trademark use in Philippines that can be submitted.
  • 2022-09-15 Guillaume Rischard to respond to the email Ticket#202208041000024 and redirected to right person.
  • 2022-09-15 Kathleen Lu to write to Tom Hughes and ask if the issue he was concerned with was https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/pull/989#issuecomment-110209086

Application to join LWG by Tom Lee

Vote

Accepted on 2022-10-13 with 3 votes in favour: Dermot McNally (via chat), Simon Hughes, Tom Hummel
2 abstained: Kathleen Lu, Guillaume Rischard.

Reportage and action item updates

Dermot’s Belgian love letter

Kathleen: Test sending?

Ticket#202208041000024 - licence of JOSM code

Guillaume replied via OTRS.

via listserv - Israel Hiking Map, Apple sign-on query

See https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/issues/2799#issuecomment-1274094650 please add anything relevant to this response.

Kathleen Lu replied to Github ticket. Operations Working Group (OWG) can take it further if they wish.

Response to Ticket#2022080910000043 in Dutch?

Sent. We received a response today. Offered to add link in printout.

Evidence of trademark use in Philippines

Action item: Guillaume Rischard to check that Eugene Villar has replied to him.

Any updates on reported attribution cases?

Reports in OTRS

Guillaume’s email to Goose Maps

https://apps.apple.com/app/goose-maps/id1632620335

They replied.
Guillaume Rischard and Tom Lee tried the app.

Watch

  • Map is shown on the Apple watch – no attribution to OSM currently.
  • Can install watch app directly.
  • They can add OSM attribution to onboarding screen, and everyone has to go through it in order to use it the first time.

Companion phone app

  • Companion app for the settings.
  • You don’t have to have the companion phone app to be able to use the GooseMaps app on Apple watch.

Appstore

  • The Appstore does not mention OSM either.

Appstore mentions trial period and then you have to pay a subscription.

Decision: Kathleen to reply that adding OSM to onboarding screen would be a promising solution and will ask for screenshots.

Guillaume - HOT trademark agreement update

No update.

Update to Copyright FAQ to match new attribution guidelines

Good idea to link to import guidelines.
Suggestion to link to general import page.

Live editing of the document during the meeting.

Updated FAQ ready to be published.

Action item: Tom Lee to add the FAQ to the OSMF website. Dorothea to provide access.

56’ Simon Hughes had to disconnect.

Trademark Notices

Any other business

Query to legal-questions.

Query regarding Community Data License Agreement (CDLA) version 2.0

Action item: LWG to look at answer and indicate whether they agree.

Published minutes and OTRS* tickets containing email content from emails to LWG: Dorothea to remove email addresses and names.

* OTRS is an issue/ticket tracker used by several Working Groups of the OpenStreetMap Foundation.

Ticket#2022080510000087 - Compatibility of Italian Open Data License 2.0

LWG licence compatibility page - previous evaluation of UK 2.0 and 3.0

Points mentioned during discussion

  • Translated text seems close to the UK open-data-license-v20.
  • Canada licence has some additional statements.
  • Italian licence seems a bit less restrictive.
  • There seems to be no difference between approval and endorsement in this context.

Suggestion: clean up/format LWG licence compatibility page.

Guillaume Rischard joined 21 minutes after start.

Discussion continued 59’ after start.

Ticket#2022081410000104 - Lizenzprobleme in Indien

Kathleen Lu's note: We can try to help, but this sounds hard...Can we have volunteers for a working group to correspond with this group via direct email?

Licence question for future app

Ticket#2022092110000125 - Updating link

Ticket#2022091610000028 - 1. Creative Commons Attribution for Intergovernmental Organisations 2. using data with no licence

Ticket#2022100310000013 - Ryan Crownholm's case

Looks like filed by pro-bono organisation.

Suggestion: The board could make a statement and we could also sign an aminus.

Action item: Guillaume Rischard to take the issue to the board.

Ticket#2022100810000086 - Store data request

Decision to ignore.
https://twitter.com/filecoin/status/1377467507871789061?lang=en

Ticket#2022101110000098 - Film maker email

Suggestions to point them to

Action item: Tom Hummel to point to the Corporate Membership page or the donation page.

Discussion about donation page

  • Make is easier to companies to donate.
  • Provide better instructions.
  • The payment is processed by PayPal but you don't need to have a PayPal account or sign-up for one if you are paying by credit card

Next Meetings

10 November 2022 - 1830 UTC
08 December 2022 - 1830 UTC