Local Chapters and Communities Working Group/Meeting minutes/2020-07-20
Meeting started at 15:02 UTC.
- Charles - ZM
- Clifford - US
- Eugene - PH
- Geoffrey - UG
- Maggie - US
- Rob - UK
- Ben - BE (with apologies)
- Joost - BE (with apologies)
- Patrick - CH
- Stefano - IT
Approval of the 2020-06-15 meeting minutes
- Local Chapters and Communities Working Group/Meeting minutes/2020-06-15
- Approved unanimously
- Eugene created a HackMD team for the LCCWG. All WG members are encouraged to put LCCWG-related notes here. Note that notes in this team is public and shouldn't be used for sensitive/private information.
Conflict of interest policy for working groups
- Tobias, on behalf of the Board, previously contacted LCCWG to ask if there should be a CoI policy for working groups, and if so, what changes would have to be made compared to the board's CoI policy to make it suitable for that purpose?
- Some WG members did not see any real need to adopt such a policy given the work being done by the WG, but they are not opposed to adopting one if the Board requires it.
Conflict of interest disclosure
- Starting June 23, Eugene has a potential conflict of interest since he entered into a contract with Kaart and joined their data team. Kaart is currently a Bronze Corporate Member of the OSMF. This disclosure is provided for transparency to the rest of the LCCWG members.
- Has everybody signed the NDA and submitted it back to Dorothea?
- Action item: Eugene to ask Dorothea for Charles to sign.
Previous action items
- Items in bold and highlighted are updates in status or new action items.
|Joost||Do a comparison of features of various OSM websites||Summarisation is ongoing
|Clifford||Run a survey with existing chapters and chapters-to-be to get their views why they applied/will apply to become a chapter||Summarisation is ongoing
|Maggie||Create SotM 2020 video presentation||SotM done
|Maggie, Rob||Organise Local Chapters and Communities Congress 2020||Form to schedule LCCC created
|Eugene||Work with OSM India to become a Local Chapter||Some feedback received
|Maggie, Clifford||Support the development of microcosm||Ongoing
|Maggie||Provide easy-to-use welcoming tool||Ongoing
|Ben||Update OSM website to allow messaging from groups to OSM users||Ongoing
|All||OSMF + LC membership scheme||Not yet started
|Eugene||User group affiliation model||Not yet started
|All||Sign NDA with the OSMF||Ongoing||Internal OSMF communication related to Local Chapters Survey|
Per the Terms of Reference, WG members should work on the focus items.
Building local community cohesion
- Updates: Brian working on it but development is slow.
- Next step: Maggie to check in with Brian.
Welcoming new mappers (GL#8)
- Maggie and Joost still trying to set up a meeting.
OSM website feature to allow messaging from groups to OSM users (GL#9)
- No updates.
Facilitating a global exchange of ideas
Comparison of OSM websites (GL#1)
- Next step: Eugene to follow-up with Joost.
SotM 2020 (GL#3)
- Recording of the talk is now available.
- Next step: Maggie to start a draft diary entry talking about the SotM presentation with a look at behind the scenes.
Local Chapters and Communities Congress (LCCC) (GL#10)
- Maggie had previously informed the WG that several responses have been received so far on the LCCC form.
- Next step: WG to decide on the final date soon.
- Next step: Put up sign-up/registration form.
- For further discussion: Accommodating various time zones. Topics to be discussed. Homework to be done.
Improving the Local Chapters affiliation scheme
Local Chapters survey (GL#2)
- Next step: Clifford to send the link to the summarised results again to the LCCWG mailing list while WG members review the results.
- Next step: Clifford to draft two set of recommendations: for WG and for OSMF.
- Deadline to finish this in September.
Working with OSM India (GL#5)
- Eugene has chatted with Naveen, Jinal, and Arun. One of the suggestions received was for OSMF to offer a user group model of affiliation.
- Eugene created GitLab ticket #12; see agenda item below.
OSMF membership + LC membership (GL#11)
- Maggie created this ticket with the following description: "Discussion about membership of OSMF and LCs. Asking community members to be members of both may not be the most sustainable path. Is there a different way to approach this? Why do we have members? Initial thoughts include changing the requirements to vote, improving coordination with the OSMF - maybe through joint membership or some kind of fee structure."
- Eugene: OSMF's Active Contributor Membership scheme should alleviate the double payment problem in case people want to join both OSMF and the Local Chapter.
- Maggie and Rob: Having a combined payment scheme might be an avenue to consider.
- Eugene: OSMF and LC are independent orgs so having tied membership might pose a problem. This may be solved by having really clear messaging.
- Rob: OSMF can possibly provide Local Chapters with a hosted CiviCRM service.
- Next step: Eugene to start conversation with MWG.
User group affiliation model (GL#12)
- Eugene created this ticket to talk about setting up a user group affiliation model for the OSMF as a lighter alternative to the current Local Chapter affiliation scheme.
- Clifford is planning to talk with the Wikimedia Foundation's Affiliations Committee (AffCom).
- Eugene explained WMF's user group scheme. (Relevant info page)
- Geoffrey shared OSM Uganda's experience in applying to become an OSMF Local Chapter.
- Rob shared OSM UK's experience in applying to become an OSMF Local Chapter.
- WG agrees in principle to pursue developing this affiliation model. No next steps yet.
Next meeting will be on August 17 (third Monday) at 15:00 UTC using Mumble. Eugene will send a calendar invite.
Meeting ended at 16:09 UTC.