Local Chapters and Communities Working Group/Meeting minutes/2020-08-17
Meeting started at 15:04 UTC.
- Charles - ZM
- Clifford - US
- Eugene - PH
- Geoffrey - UG (joined 40')
- Joost - BE
- Maggie - US
- Patrick - CH
- Ben - BE (with apologies)
- Rob - UK (with apologies)
- Stefano - IT
Approval of the 2020-07-20 meeting minutes
Previous action items
- Items in bold and highlighted are updates in status or new action items.
|Joost||Do a comparison of features of various OSM websites||Diary entry posted
|Clifford||Run a survey with existing chapters and chapters-to-be to get their views why they applied/will apply to become a chapter||Summarisation is ongoing
|Maggie||Create SotM 2020 video presentation||Mostly done
|Maggie, Rob||Organise Local Chapters and Communities Congress 2020||Actual planning not yet started
|Eugene||Work with OSM India to become an OSMF affiliate||Pended for now
|Maggie, Clifford||Support the development of microcosm||Ongoing
|Maggie||Provide easy-to-use welcoming tool||Ongoing
|Ben||Update OSM website to allow messaging from groups to OSM users||Ongoing
|All||OSMF + LC membership scheme||Not yet started
|Eugene||User group affiliation model||Not yet started
Per the Terms of Reference, WG members should work on the focus items.
Building local community cohesion
- Maggie pinged Brian on OSM US Slack.
Welcoming new mappers (GL#8)
- Meeting invitation to be sent out.
OSM website feature to allow messaging from groups to OSM users (GL#9)
- No updates.
Facilitating a global exchange of ideas
Comparison of OSM websites (GL#1)
- Joost posted a diary entry on behalf of the LCCWG.
- Next step: Patrick to ask Simon about OSMF paying for domain names, while Joost will look for additional info.
- Next step: Clifford and Eugene to Create OSM Wiki page for LCCWG where WG can post info.
- Recommendation for the OSM website itself:
- Put map to a subpage
- More info on the landing page
- Provide data to CWG instead of LCCWG taking the task of updating the OSM website itself.
SotM 2020 (GL#3)
- Next step: Maggie to start a draft diary entry talking about the SotM presentation with a look at behind the scenes.
Local Chapters and Communities Congress (LCCC) (GL#10)
- Updates: Even more responses to the LCCC form have been received:
- 45 responses to date.
- Preferred date is November 21 at 53% of the responses.
- 80% can provide a recorded intro.
- 70% have attended SotM before.
- Most responses came from Africa thanks to Geoffrey.
- WG agreed to set the date to November 21.
- Next steps:
- Create registration form.
- Create OSM Wiki page to describe the event and provide details.
- Create a diary post announcing the event.
- Agenda: Input can be some of LCCWG's work. A suggestion is to invite Brian to do a demo of microcosm.
- WG agreed to use OSMF's BBB server.
- Next steps: Joost to ask if this is okay.
Improving the Local Chapters affiliation scheme
Local Chapters survey (GL#2)
- Clifford started creating a draft of summary of results to HackMD.
- Next steps:
- Clifford to draft a blog post as well.
- Clifford to email to Board for recommendations.
- Clifford: Some recommendations LCCWG can take on:
- Create a checklist for LC application process.
- Think of ways how to help communities become more sustainable.
- Allow recognition of thematic orgs such as HOT and GeoChicas.
- Clifford wants to finish this task by the end of August.
OSMF membership + LC membership (GL#11)
- Eugene sent an email to MWG.
User group affiliation model (GL#12)
- Clifford has already talked with the chair of Wikimedia Foundations's (WMF) Affiliations Committee (AffCom) to see how WMF's handles its affiliates. Also, AffCom created a subcommittee to handle inter-user group conflicts.
- Next steps: Eugene to draft thoughts for this and share with WG.
- Joost: Active Contributor Membership scheme is now fully operational. LCCWG should help spread the word.
Next meeting will be on September 21 (third Monday) at 15:00 UTC using Mumble. Eugene will send a calendar invite.
Meeting ended at 16:07 UTC.