Local Chapters and Communities Working Group/Meeting minutes/2020-09-21
Meeting started at 15:05 UTC.
- Charles - ZM
- Clifford - US
- Eugene - PH
- Joost - BE
- Maggie - US
- Ben - BE
- Geoffrey - UG
- Patrick - CH (with apologies)
- Rob - UK (with apologies)
- Stefano - IT
Approval of the 2020-08-17 meeting minutes
Previous action items
- Items in bold and highlighted are updates in status or new action items.
|Joost||Do a comparison of features of various OSM websites||Mostly done
|Clifford||Run a survey with existing chapters and chapters-to-be to get their views why they applied/will apply to become a chapter||Summary is mostly final
|Maggie||Create SotM 2020 video presentation||Mostly done
|Maggie, Rob||Organise Local Chapters and Communities Congress 2020||Planning is ongoing
|Eugene||Work with OSM India to become an OSMF affiliate||Pended
|Maggie, Clifford||Support the development of microcosm||Ongoing
|Maggie||Provide easy-to-use welcoming tool||Ongoing
|Ben||Update OSM website to allow messaging from groups to OSM users||Ongoing
|All||OSMF + LC membership scheme||Ongoing
|Eugene||User group affiliation model||Not yet started
Per the Terms of Reference, WG members should work on the focus items.
Building local community cohesion
- Clifford reached out to Brian.
- Clifford invited Brian to present at LCCC and Brian agreed to present.
Welcoming new mappers (GL#8)
- Planned meeting was deferred as a topic at LCCC. Possibly invite Stefano and Midgard to lead or present at this session.
OSM website feature to allow messaging from groups to OSM users (GL#9)
- No updates.
Facilitating a global exchange of ideas
Comparison of OSM websites (GL#1)
- OSM Wiki page for collecting results not yet created.
- Next step: Clifford + Eugene to tackle this.
- Dutch OSM community is planning to create a website for their community. Maybe contact Anisa from Italy.
- OSM Seattle community uses GitHub Pages. This solution may be can be used as simple template for other groups.
- Maggie: OSM US is planning to update their website too.
- Joost wants to talk with technical+non-technical people.
- Wikimedia Foundation's Affiliations Committee encourages WMF's affiliates to use the [meta.wikimedia.org/ Meta Wiki].
- Patrick confirmed with Simon that OSMF is willing to pay for domain names on behalf of affiliates and local communities.
- Next step: Create a new GitLab ticket to tackle the task of provided communities with easy ways of creating or maintaining their websites.
SotM 2020 (GL#3)
- Maggie created a draft diary entry.
- Can be published as soon as details are added.
Local Chapters and Communities Congress (LCCC) (GL#10)
- Maggie created an OSM Wiki event page.
- Maggie created the registration form. There are already 63 signups.
- Next steps:
- Start at 12:00 UTC.
- Create program then decide how long event will be. Possible topics/sessions:
- Keynote talk from Allan Mustard
- OSM new user welcoming tool
- Website creation package/tool
- Brian's demo of microcosm
- LC Agreement signing ceremony for Argentina and Oceania
- Ask attendees to submit writeup and representative photo instead of recording a short speech. Collect these and post it on the Wiki.
- Create diary post announcement
- Use OSMF’s BBB
Improving the Local Chapters affiliation scheme
Local Chapters survey (GL#2)
- Clifford updated the latest version of the survey results report with help from Joost and Maggie.
- Next steps:
- Create blog post
- Email recommendations to Board
- Maybe: LCCWG to create checklist for LC application process
- Maybe: LCCWG seek ways how to help communities become more sustainable
- Maybe: LCCWG seek ways for OSMF to recognise thematic orgs such as HOT and GeoChicas (update GitLab ticket #12 to incorporate this idea)
OSMF membership + LC membership (GL#11)
- Michael Spreng of MWG (but not speaking on behalf of MWG) responded with his thoughts on the ticket.
User group affiliation model (GL#12)
- No updates.
- Action item: Eugene invite more people, especially those who have recently joined because of the Active Contributor Membership scheme, to join WGs.
- Maggie: invitation to attend OSM US’ Connect 2020.
Next meeting will be on October 19 (third Monday) at 15:00 UTC using Mumble. Eugene will send a calendar invite.
Meeting ended at 16:06 UTC.