Local Chapters and Communities Working Group/Meeting minutes/2021-10-25
LCCWG 2021-10-25 meeting
Meeting started at 14:08 UTC.
0. Potential Attendance
- Patrick - CH
- Charles - ZM
- Rob - UK
- Naveen - IN
- Besfort - XK
- Naveen - IN
- Jonathan - BE
- Adam - UK (joined 14:30)
- Anisa - IT
- Joost - BE
- Jorge - PT
- Eugene - PH
- Maggie - US
- Geoffrey - UG
- Arnalie - HOT
BBB is having server errors, so the meeting was conducted using Jitsi.
1.1. Meeting chair
Anisa will chair the meeting.
1.2. Approval of the Sept 2021 meeting minutes
* https://hackmd.io/@lccwg/rJ-ZYEcbt - approved
1.3. Arnalie Vicario to join LCCWG
- Arnalie is a member of HOT and also from the OSM Philippines community.
- Arnalie accepted as a new member, replacing Sophie
2. Main agenda
2.1. Support the development of Microcosms (GL#7)
- No real updates.
2.2. Provide a tool for communities to welcome new mappers (GL#8)
- new Welcome Tool has launched!
- Belgium from the start, 3 new regions have already joined since the release : Luxembourg, New York state, Massachusetts
- Joost: tool is well-made
2.3. Develop/design local community website template/tool (GL#13)
- Maggie: Work is ongoing to develop an OSMUS map style. The idea is that work on the new website will proceed after the map style.
- Belgian site is being used by the Netherlands, it seems. Follow up with Jonathan?
- Italy will be developing a new website and will publish the source code
2.4. Update the OSM website to highlight Local Chapters (GL#14)
- Andy already provided feedback and asked other website maintainers. Slowly moving forward, not guaranteed to be finished before Christmas.
- Adam will email CWG at email@example.com
2.5. Moderation subcommittee updates
- Still looking for moderators, especially more geographically diverse people. The hope is that the moderator team is in place before the OSMF election season is in full swing.
- Moderation subcommittee may have to step in temporarily if needed
- OSM Blog post: https://blog.openstreetmap.org/2021/10/17/looking-for-moderators-for-osm-lists/
- Please ask people in your networks, especially if outside Western Europe
- Question: Should OSMF Board members be part of the moderation team? Consensus is that it's best if Board members refrain from moderating the lists.
- Used a Plain English service to help make the document more understandable for non-native speakers of English.
2.6. Best practices around doing paid work for local chapters
- Maggie sent feedback from OSM US' perspective.
- Joost and Eugene to have a meeting to finalize a proposal to present to the Board.
- Where do we (the OSMF) draw the line? Do we need to draw the line at all?
- This can be a possible table topics for the LCCC.
2.7. Local Chapters and Communities Congress 2021 (GL#10)
- Promotion suggestion (Joost): communicate about the individual topics
- Question: relation to HOT community building event?
- Maggie to set up a test instance of Airmeet so that people who need to present can get familiar with the platform
- Date: Nov. 1st same time as the monthly meetings.
- Planning doc to finalize: https://hackmd.io/6Pf5g0A1QXaYxsJthKQafg
- Arnalie: HOT will keep working on community building information, called the Community Building Playbook
- See also https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Humanitarian_OSM_Team/Working_groups/Community/Webinars#Local_OSM_community_building:_Tips.2C_tricks_and_challenges
- Eugene proposes to have a Table on this topic in the Open Conversation session. Arnalie will find someone to lead the topic.
3. Other business
3.1. Coordination with CWG
- Maggie has already coordinated for the promotion of the Congress and the call for moderators.
4. Next meeting
Next meeting is on November 29 starting at 14:00 UTC.
Meeting ended at 15:22 UTC.