OSMF updates - Spring 2018
- Content: Highlighting updates related to the Foundation - mostly news from the volunteer Working Groups, the Board of Directors, the Local Chapters, the Advisory Board members and some project news.
- Details: For more details you are invited to read the minutes or reports of the Board and the Working Groups (links on each section).
- Accuracy: These reports do not go through a formal acceptance process, like the Board minutes are. This might change. The March 2018 OSMF report, and probably the following ones, will be made known to the Working Groups first, before being sent to the membership.
- Previous reports: here
- 1 Communication Working Group
- 2 Data Working Group
- 3 Engineering Working Group
- 4 Licensing Working Group
- 5 Membership Working Group
- 6 Operations Working Group
- 7 State of the Map Organising Committee
- 8 Local Chapters
- 9 Advisory Board
- 10 Board of Directors
- 11 Project news
Communication Working Group
|General info||Communication Working Group, Join|
|Regularity||Monthly, on the 2nd Thursday of the month at 19:00 London Time on IRC server oftc.net channel #osm-cwg|
|Next meeting||May 10th, 19:00 London Time|
RSS button added to blog.openstreetmap.org: Subscribe with your favourite RSS reader.
Sending e-mail validation notice to newly created OSMF wiki accounts: Discussed, as the first edit on the OSMF wiki fails if the new user has not validated her/his email addres.
Translation of OSMF webpages by volunteers: Suggestion by two members of the French OSM community - for both "stable" pages, as well as for board minutes. The problem of mistranslation was also discussed and it was decided to contact the board (background and board discussion).
Press releases related to blog posts: A CWG member offered to help with writing but someone else has to send the releases. Suggestion to add quotes from board members.
Data Working Group
|General info||Data Working Group, Join|
|Previous minutes||Minutes of the March meeting to be uploaded, January|
- Published the DWG 2017 Q4 Case Report.
- Ongoing: Resolving issues in copyright violation, disputes, vandalism and detecting and stopping vandalism and imports that do not comply with guidelines
- Ongoing: Directed Editing Policy
|Directed Editing Policy - Background|
|Organised mapping efforts are an integral part of today's OSM contribution landscape and, when done well, help make OSM better and more widely known. In order to maintain good communications between, and a level playing field for, individual community members and organised editing groups, the board had asked the Data Working Group (DWG) to work on a directed editing policy, in a manner that it has sufficient community input, and before anything is decided to come back to the board. |
The Data Working Group:
Engineering Working Group
|General info||Engineering Working Group, Join|
|Regularity||Monthly or more frequent|
|Next meeting||April 19th, 19:00 UTC|
Google Summer of Code:
- Less applications than last year. Might distribute a press release.
- A blog post has been published by Paul, targeted at students interested in API-related GSoC projects.
- Decision not to make the provision of challenges to students a requirement.
- GSoC project ideas that need work have been moved to an incubator subpage.
- Requests from potential mentors to be added to the mentors' mailing list should be addressed to Peter.
Licensing Working Group
|General info||Licensing Working Group, Join|
|Regularity||Monthly on the 2nd Thursday of the month, at 20:00 UTC, on Mumble, unless rescheduled.|
|Next meeting||May 10th, 2018 at 20:00 UTC on Mumble|
Updated OSMF Trademark Policy: Announcement
OpenIPMap: Trademark related issue.
GDPR Document: The document has been reworked to rely on “legitimate interests” as the base for “lawful processing” and assumes third parties processing the full data will operate as independent controllers. Discussion about minors who map, as well as Working Groups. The document will be forwarded to the board and to a larger audience.
GDPR Document - Background
|The General Data Protection Regulation will come into effect May 25, 2018. The Licensing Working Group (LWG) is working on a document with a set of recommendations.|
Membership Working Group
|General info||Membership Working Group, Join|
|Regularity||As the needs arises|
New MWG member: Heather Leson.
Missing membership reminder emails
Social Survey Engine: The MWG will work on this (Related background and Board discussion)
OSMF membership badge on osm.org: The MWG is working on showing that someone is an OSMF member on their osm.org profile, upon request.
Membership growth plan: No document exists.
Best channel for restarting osmf-announcements: CiviCRM, as it is synced with our Membership database.
Membership fee waiver program: The document has not been finalised. Issues with the current draft will be listed and a draft documenting the procedures will be written.
Membership Fee Waiver Program - Background
|The MWG is working on the implementation of a membership fee waiver program. It is based on the board resolution from Oct. 14th 2014 and the subsequent vote at the Annual General Meeting. People will be able to apply through the fee waiver program for an associate membership, if paying the fee would constitute an unreasonable burden to the member because of lack of a suitable money transfer facility. The person applying would have have contributed something else of value to be deemed eligible. The MWG is working on finalising the form. The program has already been accepted by the Board, provided that the text modifications are minor.|
Operations Working Group
|General info||Operations Working Group, Join|
|Previous minutes||December 2017|
- Ongoing: Data centre arrangements (The request for proposals has closed).
- Ongoing: Ensuring the operation and smooth running of the XML editing API and data distribution services.
State of the Map Organising Committee
|General info||State of the Map Working Group Join|
|Previous minutes||No minutes are published as the WG has limited resources. Feel free to join. Issues tracked internally.|
State of the Map 2018:
- The community survey for the program has closed.
- SotM 2018 "Early Bird" discounted tickets now on sale (Feb).
State of the Map 2019:
- Call of venues open. Assemble your team and propose your city as host for the next international OpenStreetmap conference. Deadline: 6th May 2018.
- Supported a regionally organised SotM team with advice on their budget.
SlovakiaGroups: Comm | Data | Eng | Legal | Memb | Ops | SotM | Chapters | AB | Board || Project
- The Licensing Working Group (LWG) has reached the Advisory Board (AB) members to get feedback on the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). (More about GDPR on the Licensing Working Group section).
- The State of the Map Working Group has contacted the AB members for help with the scoring of the SotM 2018 scholarships.
Board of Directors
|General info||OSM Foundation, Join the Foundation|
|Regularity||Monthly on the 3rd Thursday of the month, at 21:00 London time, unless rescheduled|
|Next meeting||April 19th, 2018 at 21:00 London time on Mumble|
OSMF-owned engine for social surveys: Topic was added before we got the limesurvey account for the SotM-WG survey. Discussion deferred.
SotMs as an opportunity to increase membership: Decision to offer the SotM ticket discount this year. People who have already purchased SotM 2018 tickets will be offered partial refunds or a donation will be suggested.
Board reminder/communications about etiquette guidelines: Paul and Mikel to look at the ten most active mailing lists and see if people listed as admins are active in the moderator role, what is in place, and how they manage the lists. Decision to send a reminder about etiquette soon.
GDPR preparation update: Brussels privacy lab has volunteer to review the draft. The frequency of the updates on the board agenda was also discussed.
Translations of OSMF webpages by volunteers: There are currently some "stable" pages that have *official* translations on the OSMF wiki, one that has an unofficial translation on the OSMF website and some more unofficial translations (hosted elsewhere) are linked from the site. Issues mentioned: maintenance, quality, endorsement and accessibility. Discussion will continue offline.
Advisory Board internal processes: Discussed during the AB monthly update. Wish to see more voices active and more discussion. Suggestions: to make it clear that we want to keep the current status and to explicitly ask the opinion of AB members who may have not answered to a query.
Diversity in OSM: Suggestion for the topic to be added on the agenda of the Face-to-Face board meeting in April.