OpenStreetMap Foundation, Operations Meeting* - Agenda & Minutes
Wednesday July 15th 2020, 18:00 London time
Location: Video room at https://osmvideo.cloud68.co
* Please note that this was not strictly an OWG meeting.
- Grant Slater (OWG)
- Tom Hughes (OWG)
- Radoje Stojisic (OWG)
- Paul Norman (OWG, board)
- Guillaume Rischard (board)
- Ian Dees
- Michal Migurski
Live notes by participants.
Action items from this meeting
- Ian to share ownership of his Fastly account [Topic: Commercial CDN for Bulk Tile Users].
- Paul and Grant to quote up a server to replace errol/kessie [Topic: Replacement of Errol/Kessie].
- Ian to try converting fluxBB DB to go into Discourse [Topic: OSM Forum (FluxBB) update].
Commercial CDN for Bulk Tile Users
Update on Fastly:
- They're still very interested in helping!
- Estimated commercial cost for OSM usage = $80k / month.
- Fastly would be interested in being able to boast about OSM to help with recruitment.
- How do we go about testing? (small scale / proportion?)
- DNS split test?
- Start with their URL, then custom domain name (e.g. test.tile.osm.org), then scale up from there.
- Test using the imagery sites first, then the embed.html template.
AWS Config Using Code (Terraform?)
- Automated (github actions?)
- Security Auditing (eg: tfsec).
- Promote to help bring in new people to help.
- Easier to get new volunteers to join.
- CWG/Migurski to write blog post there.
Replacement of Errol/Kessie
- Errol: 8 TB of disk, pretty full.
- Grant sometimes nags users who use lots of disk.
- Guillaume likes having no-setup-required lots of disk available.
Action item: Paul and Grant to quote up a server to replace errol/kessie.
Open Ops Tickets
Review open, what needs policy and what needs someone to help with.
FluxBB is old and slow
Related Github ticket: OSM Forum (FluxBB) update #439
- Alternative: Discourse?
- Fedora Discourse is hosted by discourse.com, but uses their OAuth.
Action item: Ian to try converting fluxBB DB to go into Discourse.
planet-dump caused outage
- 20.04 upgrade triggered bugs, planet dump used too many resources, pg_restore options changed.
- failure brought down www, planet and planet-dump generation.
- rails 6.1 (ETA this summer?) will allow gpx traces to be stored on object store, split off from single point of failure.
July 29 2020, 18:00 London time.
Operations meetings are currently being held every 2 Wednesdays, at 18:00 London time.
Online calendar showing the OPS meetings.