Operations/Minutes/2021-05-05

From OpenStreetMap Foundation
Jump to navigation Jump to search

OpenStreetMap Foundation, Operations Meeting* - Agenda & draft minutes
Wednesday 5 May 2021 18:00 London time
Location: Video room at https://osmvideo.cloud68.co

* Please note that this was not strictly an OWG meeting.

Participants

Present:

Minutes by Dorothea Kazazi.

Apologies:

Administrative

Previous minutes

2021-04-21

Action items from this meeting

  • Grant to check/fix GroupTweet for osm_tech Twitter account.
  • OWG to email Toby and suggest chatting to MapTiler. [Topic: Wikimedia]
  • Paul to do a circular for ISP in a couple of days. [Topic: Dublin updates - Network requirements change]
  • Grant to provide switches model and vendor to Paul. [Topic: Dublin updates - Someone to handle network purchasing]

Reportage

Fastly

Communications:
They have a draft that they will run by us and will turn to a blogpost. We are now in contact with Hannah Aubry regarding communications.

Listing as top 3 donors:
Michal suggested waiting, as he wants to have a phone call with them first.

Timescale DB

  • Upgraded.
  • Crash in US. - Disk failure. See topic: "SSD Disk Failing in US"

Wikimedia

  • They have an established Content Delivery Network (CDN).
  • Rendering back-end recently failed-over (Mapnik based).
  • Traffic unknown.
  • New style.
  • Time-cost would probably be the problem.
  • What are the requirements.

Decision: park the issue.

Action: OWG to email Toby and suggest chatting to MapTiler.

Scott introduction and brief on-boarding

Interested in helping in operations/security.

  • Background:
    • supported Intel's manufacturing infrastructure and applications ~ 5 years.
    • managed Debian boxes.

Brief on-boarding

  • Communication channels: #osmf-operations and #osm-dev on irc.oftc.net
  • Suggestion to get access to one service he's interested in.
  • All config managed via Chef.
  • Some automated testing on pull requests for Chef, thanks to Michal (Some Gitlab-related failures).
  • Service classification policy.
    • New hardware for primary services
    • second-hand for secondary and tertiary services (use more resources/disk space). Redundancy by adding hardware that can have failures.
  • Amazon Web Services (AWS): use for storage and Athena for log analysis.

Grant: Prefers HP hardware, easy to get.

New data center (Dublin) updates

Network requirements change

  • Paul changed the network requirements.
  • Budget ~ 1K/month

Amsterdam ~250/month

https://www.he.net

  • Tier 1
  • Good offer 10 GB link with 10K commit
  • Peering disputes with Cogent (used at Amsterdam)
  • Would give us a small subnet /24 to /27 IPv4 (~32 IPs minus 5 for their equipment - similar to what we had in Amsterdam). Or could do BGP with them with our own subnet (would need to join RIPE registry).

https://www.zayo.com/

  • Tier 1.
  • Offering 2 ports.
  • Cheap.

https://eunetworks.com/

  • Tier 2.
  • Own fiber over Europe, including Dublin and Amsterdam.

Irish academic network

  • Reached through OpenStreetMap Ireland
  • We would qualify to peer with them but unknown if we would qualify to send all our traffic through them.

Cross-connect

  • ~ 150/month for all

Preferences Paul: Hurricane Electric. Grant: Hurricane Electric.

Decision: Will wait a couple of days.

Action: Paul to do a circular for ISP in a couple of days .

On us doing BGP

  • Quotes above do not include us doing our own BGP.
  • 2K/year not a big cost
  • We would need to manage it.
  • With 1 peer - simple, fairly static announcement (minimum: /24)
  • RIPE registry: For every member they can allocate a single /24 IPv4 subnet - request then added to waiting list (which is 0 at the moment).

Someone to handle network purchasing

  • Switches we have don't do BGP natively.
  • We don't need to do BGP on our switches, we can run it on a separate instance and do the announcements across.
  • ~2K GBP/each (500-5000 range).
  • Cisco SG550X-48 are available.
  • Need to buy genuine modules ~300 GBP/each (had problems with thermostats on other ones).
  • Hardware vendor in UK that has center in Amsterdam.

Action: Grant to provide switches model and vendor to Paul.

Hot spares in new servers

  • In the past hot spares have been put into used, instead of being kept as spares.
  • 6K GBP for hot spares in all machines (~10 machines).
  • 2 disk redundancy in a raid 6 array or hot spare.
  • Worst case scenario: data loss, which also results in loss of time.

Alternative: on-site spare.

Decision: hot spares.

Lead times on hardware purchases

>6 weeks, due to RAM shortages.

Discourse

No updates.

Fastly

In contact with them.

Paul will do a presentation on Mapping US and State of the Map conferences about tile usage.

Some points related to logging not minuted after request.

Next meeting

Wednesday 26 May 2021 18:00 London time