OpenStreetMap Foundation, Operations Meeting* - Draft minutes
Thursday 27 January 2022 at 19:00 London time - Countdown
Location: Video room at https://osmvideo.cloud68.co
* Please note that this is not strictly an Operations Working Group (OWG) meeting.
Minutes by Dorothea Kazazi.
- 2022-01-27 [New] Paul Norman to open a ticket to move the data statistics page. [Topic: Dublin]
- 2022-01-27 Tom Hughes to ask Christopher Meng, who offered a server in the US, what he thinks in terms of connectivity. [Topic: Server offer in US]
- 2022-01-13 Paul Norman to look at page thanking people hosting cache-nodes [Low priority]. [From reportage]
- 2021-10-20 OWG to get back to Fastly about their blogpost draft.
- 2021-10-20 [High Priority]
OWGGrant to work out potential monthly cost for moving traces to S3. [Topic: Traces to S3]
- 2021-10-20 Grant Slater to fix certificates, fix backups to shared OSM backups. [Topic:Discourse live this week?]
- 2021-10-20 Grant Slater to move Dublin, HP ProLiant DL360e Gen8 [Topic: Discourse live this week?]
- 2021-10-20 Grant Slater to chat to AWS again [Topic: Planet on S3]
- 2021-10-20 Grant Slater to followup with Guillaume Rischard [Topic: Planet on S3]
- 2021-09-08 Grant Slater and Guillaume Rischard to capture the emails of suspended users and transfer them to an archive account before deleting them and start paying [Topic: OSMF email provider] #2021-09-22 Pending. Guillaume Rischard may have cleared some.
- 2021-09-08 Paul Norman to do the PR to add Fastly to the "supported-by" list. [Topic: Fastly] #2021-09-22 Added in one place. Probably still needs to be added to hardware.openstreetmap.org.
- 2021-05-05 Grant Slater to email Toby from WikiMedia Foundation and suggest chating to MapTiler. [Topic: WIkimedia] #2021-06-02, 2021-06-16, 2021-06-30,2021-07-14, 2021-08-11, 2021-08-25 Status: Pending. Low priority.
- 2021-02-24 Tom Hughes to report back on TimescaleDB again at next meeting. [Topic: Reportage] [was: 2021-01-13 Tom Hughes to evaluate TimescaleDB] [Topic: Longer term metric retention] #2021-04-21 SSD Disk Failing in US #2021-05-19 decision to leave on the agenda. #2021-06-02, 2021-06-16, 2021-06-30 nothing new #2021-07-14 deployed yesterday #2021-08-11 Failing over again after a week. Hypothesis: issue with Postgres and number of tables.Some of the autovacuum jobs stuck in loops reading the statistics. #2021-08-25 No update.
- 2021-01-13 OWG to send message to the servers we want to keep. [Reportage. Existing CDN servers] #2021-03-24 Three servers stopped talking to us (shenron, naga and one more) #2021-05-19, 2021-06-02
- 2021-01-13 Grant Slater to wipe thorn servers and the 3 other machines [AMS] [Topic: Longer term metric retention] #2021-05-19 pending #2021-06-02 Ramoth data drives wiped - decision: Grant Slater to do final wipe of Ramoth and leave it until next site visit. Discussion about 16G DDR3. #2021-07-14 Paul Norman to update ticket with the decision.
- 2020-12-02 Grant Slater to develop some thoughts on what is next for us using AWS. [Topic: AWS] #2021-05-19
- 2020-11-04 OWG to work out tile log archival and deletion policy at later stage. [Topic: Commercial CDN] #2021-03-24
- 2020-10-21 Paul Norman to write to Discourse ticket and email the board [Topic: Discourse] #2021-06-16 pending.
- 2020-09-09 Grant Slater [Topic: Amazon Web Services (AWS)] Speak to AWS person about going ahead with open data program with official OSM S3 bucket. #2021-05-19
- 2020-09-09 Grant Slater [Topic: Amazon Web Services (AWS)] Talk to OpenAerial Map/HOT. #2021-05-19
- 2020-08-12 Michal Migurski to try to rekindle excitement about people helping with imagery (on dev channel/imagery channel or Slack). #2020-08-26 No progress.
- 2020-07-29 Grant Slater to enable background sync to AWS S3. [Topic: Ironbelly] #2020-08-12
- 2020-07-29 Grant Slater to check with Wiki Admins on hCaptcha (reCaptcha replacement). [Topic: Wiki reCaptcha issue] https://github.com/openstreetmap/operations/issues/454 #2020-08-12 hCaptcha people reached out and happy to help. Blocker on Mediawiki 1.35 being released in August. #2021-05-19 blocker removed. #2021-06-02 pending.
- 2020-07-01 Paul Norman to create a ticket about solutions to reduce incoming comms. [Topic:Revision of acceptable use policy to reduce incoming comms] #2021-05-19 decision to leave the action item open. #2021-06-02 discussion about priority for account deletion.
- 2020-07-01 Grant Slater to work out some of the questions for an online form as a solution to reduce incoming communications. [Topic: Revision of acceptable use policy to reduce incoming comms] 2020-08-12 need to think about the reply #2021-05-19 decision to leave the action item open.
- 2020-06-04 Paul Norman to update the Github ticket Adding API key support for tile.osm.org
- 2020-06-04 Grant Slater to work out a table of different data bits, work out how they are backed up and what can be potentially improved. [Topic: High Availability / Redundancy of OpenStreetMap.org (and primary services)] #2021-05-19 decision to leave the action item open. #2021-06-02 pending.
Google Account transition
Guillaume did some work on that today.
Waiting on Grant.
Any other business
- Database is now in sync.
- Paul will get usage information from the #572 ticket.
Action item: Paul to open a ticket to move the data statistics page.
Server offer in US
- 19 January email by Christopher Meng.
- Paul might modify requirements on the CDN page.
- We don't see traffic going directly to render servers.
Action item: Tom to ask Christopher Meng, who offered a server in the US, what he thinks in terms of connectivity.
Suggestion: If this fells through we should look at getting another US server. West coast?
Thursday 10 February 2022, 19:00 London time, unless rescheduled. Cancelled
Operations meetings are currently being held every two Thursdays, at 19:00 London time.
Online calendar showing the OPS meetings.