StateoftheMap Organizing Committee/Minutes/2018/2018-08-13 Meeting

From OpenStreetMap Foundation

Most discussions of the SotM Working Group happen on GitHub issues (private repository). The meetings take place every second Monday on the Mumble server of HOT project. The frequency of the meetings might increase in the last weeks before the conference.

These minutes are no formal minutes but serve to inform the membership about the activity of the working group. There is no guarantee that all meetings are minuted. See also our entries on

GitHub issue numbers are given in braces.

Time and location: 2018-08-13 19:00 UTC, HOT Mumble server

Present: Rob, Christine, Gregory, Marco, Michael

Lead: Rob

Minutes by: Michael, Alessandro


Congratulations from Rob, with run down of statistics and general positive points from the "hugely successful State of the Map, Milan 2018"

Exact number of attendees?

  • 420 total (418 registered online, 1 via invoice and 1 cash sale). We also had 4 cash sales for social event only.


Lightning talks

  • Those that signed up on the day, we should add details to the website so we can add slides and video.


  • Videos are here: (temporary link not included in public minutes)
  • Gregory will upload videos to YouTube with descriptions. Global setting done so all videos allow community translations/captions(subtitles).


  • Only the venue invoice is missing, the others have been paid/reimbursed to Wikimedia Italia.

Missing OsmAnd advertisement in the guidebook

  • Rob sent an email a few days ago but have not received a response. He will send a reminder.

Feedback survey

  • No response or results from Benoît about the feedback survey.

A few other Github tasks

  • 2019 feedback to bids, anyone give comment but Rob will try to put a message together for each of them.
  • A few things "not-2018" still open.
  • We could try to work on them in next month and close if no action needed, or do what's needed.


  • Rob:
    • First time we've got more than 12 months to plan next year.
    • If you're wanting to continue on, as many helpers & volunteers will be welcome.
    • Timeline can be taken and adapted. If doing a logo competition, then over December might be good for when people are less stressed.
  • End of September, start of October would be good for first kick-off meeting with Heidelberg. How to find a logo will be one of the first tasks.
  • Christine to set up a Doodle poll (later?) to decide when meetings will take place.
  • On the "wiki" section of Github, there's quite a few ideas for future years.
  • Clash of date with FOSS4G: It won't be an issue in 2019 because they picked 26–30 August 2019, Bucarest, see
  • Suggestion on investigating other tools to use. This should be investigated/setup soon, as switching short-notice can be troublesome.
  • Feedback on social event. Security checks (unexpected) and volume went loud towards the end of our private booking.
    • All bags search, big bags(not handbags) and bottles had to be put in a cloakroom.
    • Metal detector searches, and required to empty pockets for that.
    • Space was generally good, lots of places to sit or stand with people.
  • Lots of rubbish(paper bags) from the catering company
    • Cheap catering is a bit of the result of that, we could pay more to be more environment concious.
    • Also dependent on country/services availability, Germany will hopefully be better.
    • The local team did arrange for the left over food to be collected and reused.
  • Birds of a feather, really popular. Sometimes had 2 rooms, sessions always full.
    • Suggested we repeat having multiple rooms.
  • Booklet
    • Could consider rearranging and having some abstracts.
    • Might need to ask submitters to provide shorter text/subtitle that can go in the booklet.
    • Could try something online that helps.
  • Social Event Feedback
    • Music was too loud at the end but good (not too loud) for a long time. Security checks were annoying but in general, the venue was good, had a lot of space and the food was good.
    • Some (typical) confusion of drink 2 token system. Every drink after that was EUR 10 each? Marco reports that he asked for a bottle of water and got one for free.

Meeting ended at 19:53 UTC.