StateoftheMap Organizing Committee/Minutes/2019/2019-01-30 Meeting
Meeting of the scholarship subgroup
Time and location: 2019-01-30 at 15:00 UTC on Mumble, HOT Mumble server
- Mikel Maron (board)
- Rachel VanNice (HOT)
- Melanie Eckle (Heidelberg Uni./HOT)
- Sven Lautenbach (Heidelberg Uni.)
- Christine Karch (WG lead)
Minutes by: Dorothea
- SotM Scholarships Master Ticket
- HOT Summit Scholarship idea
- to define how we will form the selection team and begin recruiting # Plan to begin recruiting # Messages
- begin developing submission form, based on last year's.
- begin drafting blog post.
Some points have been reordered.
- Communication: Make clear that these are SotM/OSMF scholarships which can be extended to cover HOT summit (financially covered by HOT)
- Framing/Labeling: OSMF scholarship with provisional HOT summit supplement
- Financial: HOT will be covering hotel, registration and daily stipend during HOT summit
- (done) @dorotheakazazi to start list of potential selection team members to be contacted, including names mentioned during the meeting and past scholars
- (done) @slautenb to check if the University of Heidelberg has contact person at Foreign Ministry of Germany.
- (done) @dorotheakazazi to check if last year invitation letters were also sent from Wikimedia Italia.
- (done) @mikelmaron to suggest some people for the scholars' selection team.
- Rachel volunteered to help (submissions open on Feb 15th).
- Potential additions to existing notes:
- Ask if they are applying for a grant for another event taking place about the same time as SotM.
- Ask -if they will apply for a Visa- if they will be available for gathering their documents in their previous months or if they have any plans to be away for long during that period.
- Ask if their passport needs renewal.
- Can mention minimum list of required documents.
Scholars' selection team
- Goal: 7-10 persons
- Christine described the process to select the program committee.
- 3 persons (Martin, Gregory, Christine) compiled the initial list of people to approach.
- Would have asked the Local Chapters, but there was no time.
- Decided to ask people from various communities/countries/thematical areas.
- Team: 10-15 persons
- Will also involve everyone in the call for papers and will ask if they want to introduce speakers.
Selection team: people that are/might be interested
- Sven _(confirmed)_
- Rebecca from HOT _(confirmed)_
- Laura Mugeha _(SotM 2018 scholar - expressed interest)_
- Past scholars _(have understanding of process and geographic diversity)_
- [Visa requiring countries](https://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/en/einreiseundaufenthalt/visabestimmungen-node/staatenlistevisumpflicht-node) _(link by @slautenb, also matches list by Heidelberg Uni.)_
- Heidelberg Uni. processes a lot of long-term Visas.
- 80 beds booked by local team in various hostels from 27 Eur/night, in different categories.
- Rooms are shared
- Duration of reservation: from day before SotM and duration of HOT summit.
- Distance from venue: can be walked.
- Cancellation: up to 8 weeks in advance of SotM
- Need some places for team.
- Might need some reservations to start 2 days before SotM, for scholars in cases where flying two days before is cheaper than staying an extra day at Heidelberg.
- Easier to get them signed by Institute of Geography, rather than Heidelberg University.
12th of February, 15:00 UTC