StateoftheMap Organizing Committee/Minutes/2019/2019-02-12 Meeting
Meeting of the scholarship subgroup
Date and time: 2019-02-12 at 15:00 UTC on Mumble
- Mikel Maron (board)
- Melanie Eckle (Heidelberg Uni./HOT)
- Rachel VanNice (HOT)
- Sven Lautenbach (Heidelberg Uni.)
Minutes by Dorothea
- #42 Scholarship Master ticket
- #41 Feedback on scholarship process
Action item updates
- @slautenb _Regarding contact person at Foreign Office:_ His contact at the University is ill.
New action items
- [x] @mikelmaron @MelEckle @slautenb @ChristineKarch to provide feedback in next 1-2 days about [submission form](LINK)
- [x] @slautenb and @dorotheakazazi to move their comments from the Gdoc to #42
- [x] @dorotheakazazi to write a [draft email](https://github.com/osmfoundation/sotm2019/issues/42#issuecomment-463343425) to 2018 scholars and ask if interested to be in the scholars' selection team.
- [ ] @dorotheakazazi to share a modified version of last year's scholars' acceptance letter.
- [x] @MelEckle to draft announcement blog post. To be published: 15th of February.
- [ ] @mikelmaron to ask for quick feedback by wider WG on scholarships' announcement blog post.
- [ ] @vannicer to check YouthMappers' timeline regarding their own HOT scholarships.
- Selection team: Start with 2018 scholars. Get replies in about one week. Aim for geographic spread and see if more outreach is necessary.
- Scholars' acceptance letter to be written by OSMF and potentially be co-signed by the University/Institute of Geography and City of Heidelberg
- 14 Feb: Send post to SotM 2018 scholars, gauging interest about being on the selection team.
- 15 Feb: Submission form finalised.
- 15 Feb: Announcement post.
- 21 Feb: Finalise list of SotM 2018 scholars who expressed interest to be on the selection team.
- [Submission form](LINK) created by Rachel, based on last year's form._
- "Other sources of funding" - potentially rephrase
- "Underrepresented group" - specify intention. Maybe mention ethnicity, socioeconomic, etc
- "Scholarship in previous years" - ok to ask for our information (even if just the SotM 2018 scholars are not eligible).
- Spreadsheet with ~ 43 candidates: includes details of:
- three persons that already volunteered to be on the team (Sven, Rebecca, Laura - SotM2018 scholar from Kenya)
- scholars from SotM 2016, 2017 and 2018
- a few persons added by scholarship team.
- Info: Name, country, reason for inclusion on the spreadsheet, sex, affiliation (either self-disclosed or found-out), email address
- To be based on last year's post and also including this year´s motto and additional possibility to extend stay for the HOT Summit.
- To be published on 15th of Feb.
- HOT has already some sponsorship for YouthMappers to attend the HOT summit. Covers full travel and could also cover SotM.
- YouthMapper HOT summit scholarships will be decided by competition and process is sorted out now.
- We have a checkbox on the submission form about whether someone is a YouthMapper.
- Exclusionary or exceptional circumstances?
- Suggestion to co-ordinate with YouthMappers regarding communication. Explain the primary mechanism of attending SotM with a scholarship. They could communicate the different options to their community. Perhaps mention applying for SotM scholarship only in exceptional circumstances.
- YouthMappers will be working on their procedure even after our announcement.
- For our selection committee it would be ideal to not have as many submissions.
=== Next meeting: Tuesday 26th of February, 15:00 UTC