Board Meeting Minutes 2013-07-09
Minutes of the
OpenStreetMap Foundation Board Meeting (Telephone Conference)
on 09 July 2013 at 21:00 BST / 22:00 CEST
- Matt Amos
- Henk Hoff
- Oliver Kühn
- Dermot McNally
- Simon Poole (chairing)
- Frederik Ramm (minutes)
1. Change to the Board Rules of Order
Board unanimously decides to amend the Rules of Order with the following:
(a) add a new point 6.2 that reads
A call for agenda items is circulated no later than 96 hours before a board meeting, and the agenda is closed 48 hours before the meeting. Any board member can suggest items for the agenda. The board member who has suggested an item is expected to prepare it in a way that it can be effectively dealt with at the meeting. At the board meeting, a simple majority poll will be used to decide whether or not an item is heard. A board meeting cannot take decisions about items that were not on the agenda.
(b) change what is then 6.4 (and was 6.3 before) to
The quorum is met if at least 50% of board members are present. Board resolutions are carried by a simple majority of the board members present. Board members who are not attending can, by email to the board list, transfer their vote to an attending board member and will then be counted as "present".
2. DMCA takedown policy
The LWG has prepared a policy document on how to deal with DMCA takedown requests.
Board unanimously decides that Management Team should review this this document and empowers Management Team to put it in force once they are happy with it. Board feels that being open about DMCA requests is preferable but this should be subject to discussion at MT level.
3. Status of the AoA revision
The draft for the new AoA is being discussed with legal counsel and will be ready in time for the AGM. The draft is largely in line with discussions on the osmf-talk list but needs to be converted to proper legal language. There are some questions about who can vote on the AoA, as well as minor details about the draft that still need to be ironed out.
4. LWG recommendation regarding “PD users”
Board accepts the recommendation of the License Working Group regarding users who have ticked the PD box, with 5 votes in favour and one abstention. The recommendation text is as follows:
(begin LWG quote) We feel that aggregated information on numbers ticking the PD box can and should be published; provided that it is clearly understood that this was and is presented as a survey to help the community discuss and plan future direction and does not have any formal legal validity.
We feel that individual data should not be released, at least now, for three reasons:
1. If a user had ticked the PD box, it does not necessarily mean that they afterwards confine themselves to data within that goal; they may import or derive from an incompatible source.
2. This is potentially personal data, there is a privacy issue. We need a more fine-grained published policy on what data a user enters during registration and later on their profile page can be used for what purpose.
3. As outlined above, it was made very clear during the license change process that that ticking the PD box was in the form of a survey. We therefore see no practical use in knowing how a particular user ticked it. (end LWG quote)
30th July, same time (21 UK, 22 CEST)