CWG meeting 2011-12-19

Meeting of the Communication Working Group on 19th December 2011

Attendance

  • Henk Hoff
  • Richard Fairhurst
  • Jonathan Bennett
  • Richard Weait

Absent

  • Harry Wood

Also attending

  • Mikel Maron
  • Grant Slater

Old Business

  • CWG rep on MT required
  • Server fund
  • translations
  • New post notification to be improved
  • CWG 2012 budget statement

Topics

  • Fundraiser plans for "target reached" message
  • 2012 plan needed from all working groups
  • CWG representation at Management Team
  • Short tweet message targeting CT undecided editors

Actions

  • blog at completion of fund-raiser. Needs a volunteer.
  • Firefishy to photo new server on arrival.
  • Henk to ping potential translators for NL, ES, IT.
  • RichardF looking into streamlined journey into accepting CTs.
  • All to draft CWG 2012 plan w.r.t. Board-assigned goals.
  • All (ongoing) finding translators
  • All (ongoing) list press contacts

note: IRC log partially redacted due to publication embargo

IRC log

04:00:01 PM toffehoff [~toffehoff@82.74.71.93] entered the room.
04:00:33 PM rweait1: hello toffehoff
04:00:39 PM toffehoff: Hello Richard
04:00:44 PM rweait1: just wainting on harry-wood1, I think.
04:00:48 PM rweait1: waiting.
04:00:53 PM toffehoff: okidokie
04:01:04 PM rweait1: http://www.osmfoundation.org/wiki/CWG_meeting_2011-12-12 to review.
04:01:09 PM mkl [~mikel@c-98-204-81-32.hsd1.dc.comcast.net] entered the room.
04:01:36 PM toffehoff: Already two items from the Management Team for us today:
04:02:01 PM toffehoff: - Could CWG help with outreach to community for undecided users
04:02:24 PM toffehoff: - [redacted]
04:03:10 PM rweait1: toffehoff: context?
04:04:06 PM rweait1: Shall we start without harry-wood1 then?
04:04:21 PM rweait1: Anybody care to propose / second the previous minutes?
04:04:23 PM toffehoff: On the question of "how can CWG help other WG's in spreading the word"
04:04:23 PM rweait1: http://www.osmfoundation.org/wiki/CWG_meeting_2011-12-12
04:04:52 PM toffehoff: Since it's only the chat-log....
04:05:10 PM rweait1: Hard to disagree with it then.
04:05:13 PM rweait1: :-)
04:05:15 PM toffehoff: :-)
04:05:30 PM toffehoff: Do we want an action summary at the beginning?
04:06:01 PM rweait1: Okay topics for today:
04:06:10 PM rweait1: 1) CWG rep on MT required.
04:06:20 PM rweait1: 2) update on fundraiser.
04:06:29 PM rweait1: 3) update on translations.
04:06:39 PM rweait1: 4) whaddaya got?
04:07:02 PM rweait1: 5) outreach to non-respondents
04:07:19 PM rweait1: 6) [redacted]
04:07:23 PM rweait1: anything else?
04:07:38 PM toffehoff: I haven't had much time to do much on CWG stuff this week.
04:07:44 PM rweait1: Anybody have a report on previous tasks?
04:08:16 PM toffehoff: - Finding translators: same as last week.
04:08:16 PM rweait1: Any new press contacts?
04:08:33 PM toffehoff: Not from me.
04:08:43 PM rweait1: hey, mkl, did you want to raise anything for CWG today?
04:09:20 PM rweait1: I have still failed to get my two "new" press contacts into the gdoc.
04:09:31 PM toffehoff: Do we want to do a holiday greeting?
04:10:14 PM mkl: i'm just observing
04:10:33 PM rweait1: Holiday greeting? Can we be topical and inclusive?
04:10:33 PM toffehoff: Looks like it's up to you and me, Richard?
04:10:43 PM Firefishy [~osm@94-194-60-19.zone8.bethere.co.uk] entered the room.
04:10:55 PM mkl: the only thing, for all working groups, the management team needs a 2012 plan
04:11:07 PM rweait1: JonathanB and RichardF are here, just idling at the moment, I think
04:11:23 PM JonathanB: Yes, sorry.
04:11:41 PM rweait1: okay 7) 2012 plan
04:11:51 PM RichardF: definitely here and will say things when I have anything useful to say (first time for everything)
04:12:02 PM toffehoff: Let's start with 1
04:12:04 PM toffehoff: ?
04:12:06 PM rweait1: Who will volunteer to rep CWG on MT this week (WEdnesady I think)
04:12:17 PM toffehoff: Next MT will be Jan 4th.
04:12:25 PM rweait1: ah, a reprieve.
04:12:35 PM rweait1: same question though.
04:12:40 PM rweait1: "Not it."
04:12:40 PM toffehoff: And it's now scheduled for once a month
04:13:04 PM rweait1: I say we vote, and note that harry-wood is not in the room.
04:13:15 PM rweait1: I nominate harry-wood
04:13:34 PM rweait1: Right.
04:13:36 PM rweait1: :-(
04:13:38 PM toffehoff: who was excusing himself....
04:13:54 PM rweait1: on to 2) then?
04:14:00 PM toffehoff: please do.
04:14:04 PM rweait1: I see from http://donate.osm.org/server2011/
04:14:16 PM rweait1: that we are at 89%-ish
04:14:31 PM toffehoff: 1 week to go.
04:14:48 PM rweait1: Nice. Keep hitting our socials to spread the word.
04:15:31 PM rweait1: Anybody have any actions we need to take on the fund raiser?
04:15:55 PM toffehoff: What are we doing when we hit 100%
04:16:15 PM toffehoff: Blog and that sort of things?
04:16:47 PM rweait1: A thank you post on the blog? I'd think so.
04:16:58 PM RichardF: yep. tell people about the server which we've already ordered, but don't phrase it that way.
04:17:06 PM rweait1: Maybe leave it up and watch it go to 110% or so?
04:17:07 PM JonathanB: Fairly standard spread of blogs and social networks.
04:17:09 PM RichardF: "Thanks to your donations, we've just been able to order..." etc. etc.
04:17:39 PM rweait1: Voluteer for that? Needs to keep an eye on the total and post a thank you...
04:17:49 PM toffehoff: … and ask Firefishy to take a picture of it when it arrives
04:17:56 PM rweait1: +1 !
04:18:04 PM JonathanB: Server porn...
04:18:07 PM ***Firefishy can do.
04:18:08 PM toffehoff: :-)
04:18:19 PM rweait1: 3) translations.
04:18:19 PM JonathanB: Unboxing video?
04:18:22 PM toffehoff: Thanks Firefishy
04:18:51 PM rweait1: four translators in place now, German, French, Russian and Japanese.
04:18:58 PM rweait1: Thank you to all of them!
04:19:03 PM toffehoff: +1
04:19:24 PM toffehoff: Haven't done much last week :-(
04:19:27 PM rweait1: So far we have one post in all four translations. The new post had two of four earlier today.
04:19:51 PM rweait1: What should we set as our goal for languages for now?
04:19:58 PM toffehoff: How can we keep the translators informed of new posts?
04:20:03 PM rweait1: Do we take every translation offered?
04:20:17 PM rweait1: So far, I'm emailing them when I add a new post.
04:20:25 PM rweait1: harry-wood is working on something better.
04:20:30 PM toffehoff: ok
04:20:43 PM toffehoff: Will ping Ivan about spanish translations.
04:20:46 PM JonathanB: Asking them to keep an eye on the RSS feed shouldn't be too onerous, surely?
04:21:05 PM rweait1: It would be awesome to get say the top 5-6 OSM languages up there.
04:21:23 PM rweait1: So ES, IT, NL would be great.
04:21:23 PM toffehoff: Will check with Simone about the Italian versions.
04:22:06 PM toffehoff: NL: do we know anyone from nl? :-)
04:22:09 PM rweait1: Thank you toffehoff.
04:22:26 PM rweait1: It would have to be somebody from NL who is busy.
04:22:29 PM rweait1: :-)
04:22:42 PM toffehoff: OK: 4?
04:22:54 PM rweait1: Okay, new topics. 2012 plan, outreach and [redacted]

[redacted. Held substantial discussion of topic, then realized that we weren't supposed to scoop the announcement of somebody else.]

04:28:23 PM rweait1: So no action yet?
04:28:38 PM toffehoff: Keep it on the radar.
04:29:05 PM rweait1: Next?
04:29:14 PM rweait1: outreach to non-respondents.
04:29:19 PM toffehoff: Ah...
04:29:23 PM rweait1: toffehoff, is this from Mike as well?
04:29:28 PM toffehoff: yes
04:29:52 PM rweait1: anything specific?
04:30:07 PM RichardF: it was something I suggested at the most recent MT.
04:30:07 PM toffehoff: Trying to reach as much people as possible.
04:30:18 PM toffehoff: Not everyone is reading mailing list or our blog.
04:30:32 PM toffehoff: Sorry RichardF
04:31:03 PM RichardF: the idea is to have a Twitter post (or similar) saying: "If you've ever edited OpenStreetMap, we urgently need you to sign up to our terms. Go here: .... Please RT."
04:31:03 PM toffehoff: Didn't really remembered who brought it up ....
04:31:05 PM RichardF: or somesuch.
04:31:45 PM RichardF: the only thing I'm not sure about is whether we have a site 'journey' that goes "enter password/ID -> get taken straight to 'click agree please' screen -> click 'agree' -> thank you".
04:31:53 PM RichardF: so it might need some site work.
04:32:02 PM RichardF: after all, we want to make it as immediate as possible.
04:32:28 PM rweait1: pervisou messages have said go to osm.org/user/terms
04:32:39 PM rweait1: and that seems to be working fsvo working.
04:33:02 PM rweait1: Any suggestions that we should NOT do this?
04:33:29 PM toffehoff: not from me.
04:33:40 PM rweait1: Volunteer to send the first tweet?
04:33:59 PM toffehoff: @openstreetmap
04:34:01 PM JonathanB: From @openstreetmap, or personal account?
04:34:01 PM RichardF: I'll send it, but I think we need to check the journey first.
04:34:17 PM toffehoff: osm.org/user/terms works.
04:34:25 PM RichardF: does osm.org/user/terms take you to a page explaining what's happening and why we need you to do it?
04:34:29 PM toffehoff: brings you to the login-screen
04:34:59 PM rweait1: then login to terms page. with accept decline at bottom
04:35:04 PM RichardF: ah, ok.
04:35:20 PM RichardF: ideally we would have something in plain English there.
04:35:27 PM RichardF: (for this exercise, that is)
04:35:30 PM toffehoff: It has the link "Why are we doing this" on top.
04:35:46 PM rweait1: Anybody have an account that has not agreed yet, so they can check this?  :-)
04:35:48 PM toffehoff: Which is translated into several languages.
04:35:58 PM RichardF: yeah, we need to present, in one or two sentences, "CLICK AGREE OR THE KITTEN GETS IT, sorry, OR YOUR DATA WILL BE DELETED"
04:36:07 PM rweait1: okay.
04:36:14 PM JonathanB: rweait1: I do, actually
04:36:15 PM RichardF: shall I talk to Tom about this?
04:36:21 PM rweait1: The terms page was kept short and terms only on purpose.
04:36:23 PM RichardF: burn the heretic!
04:36:28 PM rweait1: not to confuse what was being agreed.
04:36:32 PM RichardF: rweait1: yes, this is a different exercise.
04:36:35 PM JonathanB: Never made any edits!
04:36:39 PM rweait1: There are links to informal translation s of the terms
04:36:56 PM rweait1: Perhaps the tweet needs two links.
04:37:05 PM rweait1: terms, and reason.
04:37:05 PM RichardF: that's not the issue. we don't need to explain what the terms are, we need to explain _why_ it is important that you, the undecided user, signs up to them.
04:37:06 PM RichardF: people won't click two links.
04:37:23 PM RichardF: can I just take this forward with Tom and stop having to explain things to you lot please? :)
04:37:26 PM JonathanB: Can we avoid "deleted"?
04:37:43 PM JonathanB: Maybe say "won't be able to use your contributions in future versions of OPenStreetmap"?
04:37:53 PM JonathanB: (with proper capitalisation, obviously)
04:38:01 PM rweait1: +1 RichardF to proceed.
04:38:05 PM RichardF: why use one word when 12 will do ;)
04:38:23 PM toffehoff: Go with it RichardF!
04:38:27 PM RichardF: yay, thank you :)
04:38:45 PM rweait1: 2012 plan and MT represnetative remain.
04:38:55 PM rweait1: 2012 plan ...
04:39:23 PM RichardF: mkl: you raised this, can you expand?
04:39:30 PM rweait1: What does MT need from us?
04:39:51 PM rweait1: We've previously discussed 2012 budget, but not finalized it.
04:39:56 PM rweait1: Is this different?
04:40:24 PM toffehoff: I don't think that's different.
04:41:05 PM toffehoff: We haven't finalized our plan yet.
04:41:37 PM rweait1: Are we happy to say "We have no expectation to exceed 1k€ in 2012" ?
04:42:02 PM toffehoff: Ah, I don't think is only a budget issue.
04:43:10 PM RichardF: if it's different from the budget, does anyone have a link to the minutes where this was requested?
04:43:11 PM toffehoff: What are the things we want to achieve next year (in line with the goals/actions set by the board)
04:44:23 PM rweait1: We have a choice?
04:44:34 PM fake_mackerski left the room (quit: Quit: fake_mackerski).
04:44:36 PM rweait1: I mean, the goals were set, right?
04:45:02 PM toffehoff: Let me rephrase: what are we going to do to make them happen?
04:46:27 PM rweait1: Okay. So this can't be done top of the head in IRC.
04:46:57 PM rweait1: Task for this week then? Plan exactly how OSM will get on the front page of a major newspaper in 2012
04:47:00 PM JonathanB: "More of what we're already doing"
04:47:36 PM rweait1: we already have toffehoff's presentaiton to start from
04:47:58 PM fake_mackerski [~fake_mack@dslb-084-056-012-073.pools.arcor-ip.net] entered the room.
04:48:04 PM toffehoff: Will try to work on it a bit more this week.
04:48:25 PM rweait1: Okay, we still need a volunteer to rep CWG on MT.
04:48:36 PM rweait1: And we need to set next CWG meeting.
04:48:43 PM rweait1: I suggest that 26 Dec will not work
04:48:56 PM toffehoff: Jan 2nd will?
04:49:01 PM rweait1: Is 02 Jan okay with everybody?
04:49:09 PM rweait1: I'm okay for 02 Jan.
04:49:20 PM toffehoff: I think I can do as well.
04:49:49 PM rweait1: Let's presume harry can make it. I'll email him
04:50:03 PM toffehoff: I will be at a place where they've promised to have internet access…..
04:50:06 PM rweait1: JonathanB, RichardF?
04:50:21 PM JonathanB: 80%
04:50:24 PM RichardF: I can't necessarily promise I'll be here but I'll try :)
04:50:30 PM rweait1: Good enough for me.
04:50:40 PM rweait1: timely regrets appreciated.
04:50:49 PM RichardF nods.
04:50:56 PM rweait1: Somebody has to go to MT on Jan 04(?)
04:51:26 PM toffehoff: let's have that on the agenda first thing Jan 2nd.
04:51:56 PM rweait1: last one into the chat on 02 jan has to attend MT on 04 unles a volunteer lets them off the hook.
04:51:57 PM toffehoff: No meeting (even on alternative day) next week?
04:52:17 PM toffehoff: rweait1: sounds good to me :-)
04:52:45 PM rweait1: Is MT meetin on an alternative day next week? :-)
04:53:07 PM toffehoff: No, the first one is Jan 4th.
04:53:19 PM toffehoff: It's now set for every 1st wednesday of the month.
04:53:29 PM rweait1: Cool.
04:53:45 PM rweait1: anything else for CWG before we ring-off early?
04:53:53 PM toffehoff: With e-mail discussion between them if needed.
04:53:59 PM rweait1: of course.
04:54:28 PM rweait1: I'm going to pull the [redacted] stuff out of the minutes. <--- *****
04:54:51 PM rweait1: log / minutes
04:54:57 PM rweait1: objections?
04:55:17 PM rweait1: Any last minute items?
04:55:19 PM toffehoff: Maybe just note that [redacted]
04:55:31 PM rweait1: Not our business at CWG.
04:56:15 PM rweait1: Nothing else?
04:56:26 PM rweait1: Best of the Season to all then!