CWG meeting 2012-01-02

Meeting of the Communication Working Group on 03 January 2012

Attendance

  • Henk Hoff
  • Richard Weait
  • Harry Wood

Apologies

  • Jonathan Bennett
  • Richard Fairhurst

Old Business

  • CWG rep on MT required (on going)
  • Server fund (complete)
  • translations (on going)
  • New post notification to be improved (on going)
  • CWG 2012 budget statement (on going)

Topics

  • Fundraiser plans for "target reached" message (complete)
  • 2012 plan needed from all working groups
  • CWG representation at Management Team
  • Short tweet message targeting CT undecided editors

Actions

  • blog at completion of fund-raiser. Needs a volunteer. (Done. Thanks Harry)
  • Firefishy to photo new server on arrival. (Pending)
  • Henk to ping potential translators for NL, ES, IT. (Done, thanks Henk, Simone, Ivan)
  • RichardF looking into streamlined journey into accepting CTs.
  • All to draft CWG 2012 plan w.r.t. Board-assigned goals.
  • All (ongoing) finding translators
  • All (ongoing) list press contacts
  • Harry to find others interested in regular documentation activities.
  • Richard W to follow-up on notification issues wrt translations.

note: poor connectivity this meeting

In an entertaining bit of irony, the Communication Working Group was suffering from difficult communications during this meeting. Messages back and forth were delayed several times and attendees were dropped at times.


IRC log

(04:01:47 PM) rweait1: Ready to go? 
(04:02:12 PM) toffehoff: I am, but am on a flacky internet connection.
(04:02:53 PM) rweait1: I think we'll be shorthanded.  Meaning that you get to go to MT meeting this week. 
(04:03:14 PM) harry-wood [~Adium@125.60.113.87.dyn.plus.net] entered the room.
(04:03:20 PM) harry-wood: hello
(04:03:22 PM) rweait1: Ah ha!
(04:03:28 PM) harry-wood: Thanks for the reminder
(04:03:30 PM) toffehoff: That doesn't come as a surprise.
(04:03:34 PM) toffehoff: Hi Harry
(04:03:34 PM) rweait1: np
(04:03:56 PM) toffehoff: happy 2012 all!
(04:04:03 PM) harry-wood: yeah happy new year
(04:04:10 PM) rweait1: indeed.  Mappy New Year. 
(04:04:17 PM) rweait1: I hope that all is well. 
(04:04:37 PM) toffehoff: harry-wood: the surprise was not related to you, but to a statement of Richard that I have to go to MT this week.
(04:04:47 PM) rweait1: :-)
(04:05:00 PM) rweait1: Harry was after you, so Harry is "It" now
(04:05:36 PM) harry-wood: we're taking turns now are we? ok
(04:05:56 PM) rweait1: I hear RichardF and JonathanB are not going to Join us.  I guess RichardF will read this later. 
(04:06:26 PM) rweait1: Previous minutes http://www.osmfoundation.org/wiki/CWG_meeting_2011-12-19
(04:07:23 PM) harry-wood: I did the "target reached" message
(04:07:25 PM) rweait1: for previous tasks, we need a rep on MT and clearly nobody considers that a "prize" given our current levels of involvement.
(04:08:00 PM) toffehoff: Should we try to expand our WG?
(04:08:18 PM) harry-wood: I think so yes
(04:08:21 PM) rweait1: harry-wood, yes, excellent.  And good job on the fund-raising.  Right on target.
(04:08:29 PM) rweait1: +1 on exapnsion
(04:08:56 PM) fake_mackerski [~fake_mack@ip-109-47-246-73.web.vodafone.de] entered the room.
(04:09:12 PM) toffehoff: Yup, thanks Harry for handling the fund-raising.
(04:09:52 PM) rweait1: translations, we have more languages now.  Looks like we'll need backups for some of those languages.  
(04:10:10 PM) harry-wood: just looking at blog translations. Currently our French translator wins the prompt translating race: http://blog.osmfoundation.org/?lang=fr
(04:10:16 PM) rweait1: I had an offer of a second Russian contributor and I think we should accept that offer.
(04:11:14 PM) harry-wood: yep
(04:11:24 PM) harry-wood: There's no harm in taking on loads of translators I guess
(04:11:31 PM) rweait1: And Daniel is our longest serving translator as well, I think.  
(04:12:16 PM) rweait1: How are we on notifications?  Is it quickest to just set up a mailing list for communication + translators?
(04:12:52 PM) toffehoff: Setting up a mailing list for translators is probably best.
(04:13:02 PM) harry-wood: only danger would be if we grant access to somebody who abuses those privileges, or if they allowed their password to fall into the wrong hands
(04:13:11 PM) harry-wood: not sure how much we need to worry about those kinds of things
(04:13:39 PM) rweait1: Ah, right for number of translators, not for the mailing list.  
(04:13:58 PM) rweait1: Sure.  Something to keep an eye on, but no special worry, I think. 
(04:14:21 PM) rweait1: harry-wood, did the tranlation plugin-folks have any news on notification?
(04:14:43 PM) harry-wood: No I never did anything about that
(04:14:55 PM) rweait1: okay, I'll take that.  
(04:15:57 PM) harry-wood: there may some "management" features   or "job queue"  or something which we don't have installed now
(04:16:05 PM) rweait1: can we accept previous minutes?  http://www.osmfoundation.org/wiki/CWG_meeting_2011-12-19
(04:16:18 PM) harry-wood: hopefully we can get access to all available features for free as a not-for-profit
(04:16:24 PM) rweait1: harry-wood: no.  I'll ask them.
(04:16:37 PM) rweait1: er, no --> No problem.  :-)
(04:16:56 PM) toffehoff: I'll propose minutes
(04:17:15 PM) rweait1: Harry was absent, so I guess I'll second them :-)
(04:17:21 PM) rweait1: No objections?
(04:17:26 PM) harry-wood: I wasn't attending, but I read them
(04:18:38 PM) rweait1: We (CWG) owe a response to MT on budget and on plans re: board goals  
(04:19:29 PM) toffehoff: Ping
(04:19:36 PM) rweait1: I've only looked at two, "1M twitter followers"  and " active facebook page"  Do we recall the others?
(04:19:45 PM) rweait1: toffehoff : ack
(04:20:16 PM) rweait1: and what plans do we have relating to those goals?
(04:21:30 PM) toffehoff: Talking about fundraisers: http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Press_releases/Wikimedia_Foundation_Rings_In_New_Year_With_Record-breaking_Fundraiser
(04:21:35 PM) harry-wood left the room (quit: Remote host closed the connection).
(04:22:52 PM) harry-wood [~Adium@125.60.113.87.dyn.plus.net] entered the room.
(04:22:54 PM) rweait1: there is also the "front page of a big newspaper" or equivalent, and the "OSM for your boss" document
(04:23:03 PM) harry-wood: sorry. flakey connection
(04:23:07 PM) rweait1: np.
(04:23:18 PM) toffehoff: Is it my internet-connection, or are you all quiet for 8 minutes.
(04:23:23 PM) toffehoff: ?
(04:23:37 PM) harry-wood: not 8 minutes no
(04:23:37 PM) rweait1: it's you toffehoff. 
(04:23:42 PM) rweait1: and harrywood too.
(04:24:05 PM) rweait1: toffehoff what did you see last?
(04:24:31 PM) toffehoff: It went quiet after I mentioned I proposed the minutes.
(04:24:46 PM) rweait1: I'll repeat the lines you missed.   
(04:25:01 PM) rweait1: (04:17:15 PM) rweait1: Harry was absent, so I guess I'll second them :-)
(04:25:01 PM) rweait1: (04:17:21 PM) rweait1: No objections?
(04:25:01 PM) rweait1: (04:17:26 PM) harry-wood: I wasn't attending, but I read them
(04:25:01 PM) rweait1: (04:18:38 PM) rweait1: We (CWG) owe a response to MT on budget and on plans re: board goals  
(04:25:01 PM) rweait1: (04:19:29 PM) toffehoff: Ping
(04:25:01 PM) rweait1: (04:19:36 PM) rweait1: I've only looked at two, "1M twitter followers"  and " active facebook page"  Do we recall the others?
(04:25:01 PM) rweait1: (04:19:45 PM) rweait1: toffehoff : ack
(04:25:01 PM) rweait1: (04:20:16 PM) rweait1: and what plans do we have relating to those goals?
(04:25:01 PM) rweait1: (04:21:30 PM) toffehoff: Talking about fundraisers: http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Press_releases/Wikimedia_Foundation_Rings_In_New_Year_With_Record-breaking_Fundraiser
(04:25:01 PM) rweait1: (04:21:35 PM) harry-wood left the room (quit: Remote host closed the connection).
(04:25:01 PM) rweait1: (04:22:52 PM) harry-wood [~Adium@125.60.113.87.dyn.plus.net] entered the room.
(04:25:01 PM) rweait1: (04:22:54 PM) rweait1: there is also the "front page of a big newspaper" or equivalent, and the "OSM for your boss" document
(04:25:01 PM) rweait1: (04:23:03 PM) harry-wood: sorry. flakey connection
(04:25:01 PM) rweait1: (04:23:07 PM) rweait1: np.
(04:25:01 PM) rweait1: (04:23:18 PM) toffehoff: Is it my internet-connection, or are you all quiet for 8 minutes.
(04:25:01 PM) rweait1: (04:23:23 PM) toffehoff: ?
(04:25:44 PM) rweait1: see that?
(04:25:48 PM) toffehoff: thanks.
(04:26:04 PM) rweait1: So thoughts on Front page? 
(04:26:25 PM) harry-wood: To get on the front page...
(04:27:00 PM) harry-wood: we need to stir up some controversy and/or get some dancing ladies
(04:27:11 PM) rweait1: I think front page is a nice goal, but hard to target without getting "artificial". 
(04:27:16 PM) harry-wood: or maybe get better at contacting the press and feeding them info
(04:27:30 PM) rweait1: I wonder which other F/LOSS or open data projects have been there?
(04:27:31 PM) toffehoff: We've already gotten some interesting attention in some media lateley.
(04:27:58 PM) harry-wood: yeah the Nestoria story was quite big
(04:28:19 PM) rweait1: I think we don't target this goal, specifically, with any strategy or tactics, but just get better at everything else that we are supposed to be doing. 
(04:28:48 PM) rweait1: "Spray paint SteveC's face on the NYT building" is not the way to go.  
(04:29:13 PM) toffehoff: *the* item that might be interesting in the news is our license chagen.
(04:29:15 PM) toffehoff: change.
(04:29:31 PM) toffehoff: When we actually hit of with a ODbL database.
(04:29:37 PM) rweait1: I doubt it.  The license change is not a big deal.  
(04:29:52 PM) rweait1: it's a minor, arcane point that means nothing to most people. 
(04:30:04 PM) harry-wood: Well some tech journalists seem to pick up on stories like this, where there's something quirky going on
(04:30:29 PM) toffehoff: Hmmmm, it is my internet connection I think….
(04:30:36 PM) rweait1: So do we need to take any action on that matter then ?
(04:31:09 PM) toffehoff: Since the Spray paint it's pretty quiet again....
(04:31:12 PM) rweait1: What about "1M twitter followers"?   
(04:31:19 PM) harry-wood: Action?. …we want communication around license change to be uber-positive
(04:31:19 PM) rweait1: Sorry Henk you're missing us. 
(04:31:32 PM) harry-wood: to counter-act some potentially negative press it might get
(04:31:48 PM) rweait1: ... repeat here for henk ...
(04:31:50 PM) rweait1: (04:29:13 PM) toffehoff: *the* item that might be interesting in the news is our license chagen.
(04:31:50 PM) rweait1: (04:29:15 PM) toffehoff: change.
(04:31:50 PM) rweait1: (04:29:31 PM) toffehoff: When we actually hit of with a ODbL database.
(04:31:50 PM) rweait1: (04:29:37 PM) rweait1: I doubt it.  The license change is not a big deal.  
(04:31:50 PM) rweait1: (04:29:52 PM) rweait1: it's a minor, arcane point that means nothing to most people. 
(04:31:50 PM) rweait1: (04:30:04 PM) harry-wood: Well some tech journalists seem to pick up on stories like this, where there's something quirky going on
(04:31:50 PM) rweait1: (04:30:29 PM) toffehoff: Hmmmm, it is my internet connection I think….
(04:31:54 PM) harry-wood: As ever, good blog posts explaining it in a positive tone will be useful
(04:31:57 PM) toffehoff: Will notify you all when the backlog of the chat has reached me....
(04:32:19 PM) toffehoff: Ah there it is!
(04:32:38 PM) harry-wood: We've been leaving that to license working group to steer the comms related license change.  I think that's the best way
(04:32:58 PM) harry-wood: but we should maybe try to help in some way
(04:33:01 PM) rweait1: +1 on LWG
(04:33:05 PM) toffehoff: Current comms about license is up to CWG. 
(04:33:26 PM) rweait1: toffehoff, explain?
(04:33:56 PM) toffehoff: But if we are going public with a ODbL, that might be interesting for the technical press to pick up. This might change the position of OSM in the data-supplier world.
(04:33:58 PM) rweait1: should Mike Collinson be running things past CWG before posting? 
(04:34:26 PM) harry-wood: LWG have in the past done a lots of comms (discussions/announcements) themselves
(04:34:36 PM) harry-wood: I dont think they should be "running thinkgs past" no
(04:34:56 PM) toffehoff: Sorry, it seems that this internet-connection I'm on is flacky and updates my chat window every so many minutes :-(
(04:35:02 PM) rweait1: I'm not sure how much of this toffehoff is getting. 
(04:35:29 PM) rweait1: Okay.  Let's drop LWG for now, esp. as it relates to NYT. 
(04:35:46 PM) rweait1: How about 1M tiwtter follows?  I think this one is loopy. 
(04:36:18 PM) rweait1: We have 7400 twitter followers now.  I think 15000 is a good goal for next year.
(04:36:27 PM) rweait1: 20000 as a stretch. 
(04:37:02 PM) harry-wood: You're not being audacious enough :-)
(04:37:04 PM) rweait1: by comparison, I wonder which F/LOSS project has the most twitter followers?
(04:37:30 PM) rweait1: ubuntu has 9400 ...
(04:37:31 PM) toffehoff: This is probably not going to work....
(04:38:03 PM) rweait1: toffehoff, tell us what you think of the other audacious goals.  We'll catch up with each other later.
(04:38:35 PM) rweait1: The "OSM for your Boss" document is a great idea, but it needs a wrangler / maintainer. 
(04:38:45 PM) ***harry-wood wonders if he should be following ubuntu
(04:38:54 PM) Toffehoff_ [~5bb30c82@shenron.openstreetmap.org] entered the room.
(04:39:13 PM) rweait1: hello again toffehoff
(04:39:16 PM) harry-wood: I'd quite like to organise an offshoot of CWG related to documentation
(04:39:26 PM) Toffehoff_: Hello, Logged in via irc.openstreetmap.org 
(04:39:32 PM) Toffehoff_: Hope that is working better....
(04:39:33 PM) rweait1: harry-wood, how so?
(04:39:57 PM) rweait1: linux has 66000 twitter followers....
(04:40:42 PM) rweait1: more and better documentation is always a good idea.  
(04:41:03 PM) harry-wood: Well.. maybe try to assemble a team who are particularly interested in documentation
(04:41:14 PM) Toffehoff_: O joy .....  Not working either. .....
(04:41:26 PM) harry-wood: this idea requires more man-power
(04:41:47 PM) toffehoff: The irc.openstreetmap.org is also not really working for me.
(04:41:48 PM) rweait1: Are you thinking about a larger WG, an extra WG, or something else?
(04:42:01 PM) rweait1: And why not "just community on talk@"  
(04:42:07 PM) rweait1: or similar?
(04:42:37 PM) toffehoff: This internet-connection at this holiday-resort does not like things like IRC ….. 
(04:42:55 PM) harry-wood: new WG or a spin-off sub-group
(04:42:56 PM) Toffehoff_ left the room (quit: ).
(04:43:07 PM) rweait1: toffehoff, well I hope the weather makes up for the irc...
(04:43:10 PM) harry-wood: like strategic have their "articles of association" spin-off group
(04:43:59 PM) rweait1: harry-wood, I like the idea of more docs, and a team committed to that.  Is some official OSMF involvement required?
(04:44:27 PM) harry-wood: not really. just some coordination
(04:44:29 PM) toffehoff: I'm going to drop off…. This is not working for me.....
(04:44:37 PM) rweait1: ttfn toffehoff.
(04:45:10 PM) rweait1: is it something that you want to do harry-wood, or something that "somebody" should do? :-)
(04:45:25 PM) toffehoff: Sorry it has to go this way. Bad start of the new year. Talk to you all next week!
(04:45:33 PM) toffehoff left the room (quit: Quit: toffehoff).
(04:45:34 PM) harry-wood: I guess it's something I want to do
(04:45:35 PM) rweait1: np henk.
(04:45:52 PM) rweait1: I'm in favour.  
(04:46:06 PM) rweait1: can you get the folks from the recent doc-sprint involved? 
(04:46:25 PM) rweait1: or follow up on that work, those people in the thread on talk@ (I think)
(04:47:12 PM) harry-wood: yes. That's what I'm thinking. Draw together some of the resources we already have, and decide on what the strategy is there
(04:47:33 PM) harry-wood: and what documentation we should be pointing different audiences at
(04:47:57 PM) rweait1: excellent.  different audiences -> tailored messages.
(04:48:26 PM) rweait1: Do you have any thoughts on the budget? or specific requests for a 2012 budget?
(04:49:06 PM) rweait1: (I don't) 
(04:49:55 PM) rweait1: and are we meeting again same/same next week ?
(04:50:06 PM) harry-wood: can do
(04:50:29 PM) rweait1: Okay.  
(04:50:50 PM) rweait1: What do you think, should we end early today given our connectivity issues?
(04:51:15 PM) harry-wood: urgent comms matters likely to crop up soon?
(04:51:15 PM) harry-wood: The arrival of the new server
(04:51:36 PM) rweait1: Yes, we hope to get nice photos from Grant when it arrives. :-)
(04:52:32 PM) rweait1: e agreed to that last meeting.  So I'm looking forward to it. 
(04:52:43 PM) rweait1: s/e/he/
(04:53:01 PM) rweait1: should be this or next week I think
(04:53:03 PM) harry-wood: oh ok
(04:53:24 PM) harry-wood: yes think so
(04:53:35 PM) rweait1: okay, see you next week then? 
(04:53:50 PM) rweait1: (or in 30 second on #osm,  :-)
(04:53:57 PM) harry-wood: grant has the postal addresses of all donors
(04:53:57 PM) harry-wood: we discussed the idea of posting them a thankyou postcard
(04:54:04 PM) rweait1: ah, right. 
(04:54:13 PM) rweait1: How do you feel about that?
(04:54:55 PM) rweait1: we could do all, or we could do all >X-amount
(04:55:52 PM) harry-wood: lets discuss that next week
(04:55:52 PM) harry-wood: I like the idea. Need to think of a design for such a postcard
(04:55:52 PM) harry-wood: We can think of it as a practice / experiment for other kinds of printed comms  we might do.
(04:55:52 PM) harry-wood: we a relatively small number of recipients
(04:55:52 PM) harry-wood: How many donors were there?
(04:55:53 PM) harry-wood: not many 
(04:56:17 PM) rweait1: dozens, perhaps a hundred?  
(04:56:57 PM) harry-wood: yeah that's true
(04:56:57 PM) rweait1: wow.  a couple of new ones yesterday. 
(04:57:41 PM) rweait1: http://www.osmfoundation.org/wiki/CWG_meeting_2011-12-19
(04:57:46 PM) rweait1: perhaps 200.  :-)
(04:59:30 PM) rweait1: or 600 at a quick count.
(04:59:53 PM) harry-wood: wooh. lost my connection for  minute there
(05:00:01 PM) rweait1: yeah.  
(05:00:06 PM) rweait1: See you next week?
(05:00:14 PM) harry-wood: ok yes
(05:00:18 PM) rweait1: ttfn.