CWG meeting 2012-08-13

Meeting of Communication Working Group on Monday 13th August 2012

Topics

  • SOTM
  • AGM announcement
  • License change comms

IRC log:

21:04 toffehoff: Hi
21:04 harry-wood: Hi Henk!
21:04 toffehoff: so how was you b'day?
21:04 harry-wood: oh yeah. It was good
21:05 harry-wood: had some reasonable weather
21:05 harry-wood: good BBQ bash
21:05 toffehoff: It didn't rain for a change :-)
21:05 harry-wood: well no it did rain. just not too much
21:05 harry-wood: "reasonable" :-)
21:06 toffehoff: :-)
21:06 harry-wood: I'm planning a trip to Amsterdam in September
21:06 toffehoff: I'm working on the AGM announcement and the election pages.
21:06 toffehoff: Great!
21:06 harry-wood: going to be giving a talk about HOT there
21:06 toffehoff: When?
21:07 harry-wood: 17th Sept is the talk
21:07 harry-wood: at the PICNIK conference
21:07 toffehoff: Ah, that one.
21:07 harry-wood: but I'll be arriving Saturday 15th
21:07 toffehoff: Will be back in NL by then (from SotM).
21:08 harry-wood: ah yeah SotM
21:08 harry-wood: How's all the SOTM chaos going?
21:08 toffehoff: Might be good to meet somewhere in A'dam on Sunday?
21:08 harry-wood: yeah 16th. could meet definately
21:08 toffehoff: It's getting hectic. But the Japanese team are doing a great job.
21:09 toffehoff: Had some worries in the beginnning.
21:09 harry-wood: Saw quite a lot of Facebook activity about SOTM

Link to private preview of SOTM video redacted

21:10 toffehoff: If not, it will be released soon.
21:10 harry-wood: ooh looks cool
21:10 toffehoff: :-)
21:11 harry-wood: very nice
21:11 toffehoff: It's something different then a video of Ivan :-)
21:12 harry-wood: hehe
21:12 toffehoff: We've past the 100 sign-ups.
21:12 toffehoff: I'm estimating we will hit the 150 this year.
21:13 harry-wood: Not bad
21:13 toffehoff: The usual complaints about it being to far away from the community.
21:13 toffehoff: Not realizing there is also a community in Asia ....
21:14 harry-wood: Any help needed with SOTM related comms?
21:14 toffehoff: We need to beef up the comms the coming weeks.
21:15 toffehoff: I'm totally swamped with work.
21:15 toffehoff: Have some other people as well, but comms is not our best this year.
21:15 harry-wood: We could post to the foundation blog with something again
21:16 toffehoff: So, if you have time to help out, would be great.
21:16 harry-wood: ok
21:16 harry-wood: we need to blog about remapping too
21:16 toffehoff: Ah yes.
21:17 harry-wood: I can do. I guess I'll have a chat with simonpoole about it. I think he's paying more attention
21:17 toffehoff: BTW: need to go into another call soon. Just so you know
21:18 toffehoff: I'm feeling a bit guilty letting you do most (if not all) of the work.
21:18 harry-wood: There's some negative posts to rebuild and osmf about instances of copy&paste remapping
21:18 harry-wood: hopefully DWG can get on top of those things
21:18 toffehoff: We need to have a procedure in place for that. LWG is also working on that I believe.
21:19 toffehoff: A page where to report license issues.
21:19 harry-wood: some more negative comments on here http://blog.osmfoundation.org/2012/07/26/automated-redactions-complete/#comments
21:20 toffehoff: Hmmm
21:20 harry-wood: These generally go unnoticed (which is good in that few visitors will read them, but bad in that they don't get replied to)
21:21 harry-wood: So anyway. You have to go
21:22 harry-wood: I'm going to try to get on top of a few of these things. Been a bit busy lately myself, but hopefully will have more time this week
21:22 toffehoff: Not yet. Will notify when I'm pinged.
21:23 toffehoff: Will be working on the AGM announcement and the election-page this week.
21:23 toffehoff: Have already done some work this weekend.
21:23 toffehoff: What do you think of this: http://www.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Membership/Statistics
21:24 toffehoff: Plan is to update this every month.
21:24 toffehoff: Is it clear to you?
21:24 harry-wood: yeah. looks good
21:25 harry-wood: Guess that's on your plate as the membership man!?
21:25 toffehoff: Yup :-)
21:25 toffehoff: Lot's of people renewing this month.
21:25 toffehoff: Wonder why ....
21:25 toffehoff: :-)
21:26 harry-wood: Oh yeah so the AGM announcement
21:26 harry-wood: we didn't mis the deadline on that?
21:26 toffehoff: Deadline is this weekend.
21:26 toffehoff: 21 days.
21:26 harry-wood: ah ok. Was worried we'd missed it
21:26 toffehoff: I had checked that a couple of weeks ago.
21:27 toffehoff: Where do we have to announce it?
21:27 toffehoff: http://www.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Annual_General_Meetings/12
21:28 harry-wood: we did this http://blog.osmfoundation.org/2011/08/18/openstreetmap-foundation-agm-and-board-election/ last time
21:28 harry-wood: (sent to osmf-announce mailing list too)
21:28 toffehoff: yeah, will send it to osmf-announce.
21:28 toffehoff: But also good to have a post on blog.osmf
21:29 toffehoff: Nice to have a piece of text that I can reuse :-)
21:29 harry-wood: It was also followed up with some other drumming up of interest: http://blog.osmfoundation.org/2011/08/26/board-elections-and-other-osmf-changes/
21:29 harry-wood: yeah the formal announcement can be almost the exact same text
21:30 toffehoff: have to go in a minute.
21:31 toffehoff: BTW: board is planning on deciding on the license change before SotM.
21:31 toffehoff: Let's see if we have some draft comms in place by then....
21:31 toffehoff: I know, we're saying this already several weeks ;-)
21:32 harry-wood: yeah. there's a TODO. we'd better make some progress with it
21:32 harry-wood: before SOTM makes sense, but LWG need to give the go-ahead I guess
21:33 toffehoff: Yeah, but it should not take that long anymore.... The worst part we've had.
21:34 toffehoff: Well, let's say: I won't be standing in the AGM and having to explain that we still having changed our license.
21:34 harry-wood: i dont know anything about the work DWG are doing
21:35 toffehoff: Just in: http://www.mdpi.com/2220-9964/1/2/146
21:35 toffehoff: There will be still lot's of cleaning up to do. But we need a process in place for that.
21:36 toffehoff: Just as for "regular" claims of license infrigement.
21:38 toffehoff: Well, I'm off now
21:38 harry-wood: ok
21:38 harry-wood: lots to do
21:38 toffehoff: Same here :-
21:38 toffehoff: :-)
21:38 toffehoff: Bye
21:39 harry-wood: see you next time
21:39 harry-wood: (if you're not too busy with SOTM by then)
21:39 toffehoff: :-)
21:40 harry-wood: posting the IRC log
21:40 harry-wood: redacting the secret video preview link :-)