FOSS Policy Special Committee
We promote the use of Free and Open Source Software (FOSS) within OpenStreetMap.
Get in touch
- per Email: foss [at] osmfoundation.org
- on IRC: #email@example.com
- in the Fediverse: @firstname.lastname@example.org
What we do
The committee is tasked with implementing the FOSS Policy.
The specific tasks of the committee are:
- Conduct an inventory of free and non-free tools (report to the board of directors)
- Propose concrete alternative solutions for non-free software
- Raise awareness around the topic of Software Freedom and Open culture
- Report and recommendations (OSM diary/PDF)
- Raw data (spreadsheet)
Everybody is welcome to join and support the initiative! Contact us over email or IRC, please introduce yourself and share your motivation to take part in promoting FOSS in OSM.
Who we are
About special committees
6. Special committees are formed to deal with backlog and future Board action items in an expeditious manner, by studying and recommending actions on issues, or to handle a time delimited set of topics. They are not standing Committees, but deal with a delimited set of tasks.
7. A special committee is proposed and approved or rejected by the Board. A proposal includes a list of the specific tasks the special committee will undertake, and when it will report back to the Board.
8. The work of a special committee is initiated by a board member. Other board members, members of the Foundation and community may be invited to the special committee if deemed helpful and appropriate. The chair may be anyone sitting on the special committee.