Licensing Working Group/Minutes/2019-11-14

From OpenStreetMap Foundation

OpenStreetMap Foundation, Licensing Working Group - Agenda & Minutes
Thursday November 14th 2019, 20:00 - 21:00 UTC

Draft minutes.

Participants

Present:

  • Nuno Caldeira
  • Kathleen Lu
  • Jim Vidano
  • Simon Poole

Apologies:

Guests:

  • Michael Cheng (became LWG member in this meeting)

Minutes by: Dorothea

Administrative

Adoption of past Minutes

Previous Action Items

  • 2017-03-02 Simon to determine existing obligations towards sources listed on the copyright page.
  • 2017-05-04 All/Simon to review import guidelines wrt licence “approval”.
  • 2017-09-05 Simon to ask Lawdit for quotes for registering for the additional class suggested.
  • 2018-03-08 All to look at the Working Groups collecting personal information.
  • 2018-04-12 LWG to follow-up on the iD editor, as the number of changesets is now included on the changeset comments thread.
  • 2018-04-12 Simon to contact openstreetmap.cymru. The LWG will allow use of domain name on the condition that if there's local group in the future, they will have to concede control to them and get agreement in writing, so that if domain expires it doesn't get squatted on.
  • 2018-05-10 Jim to sign the LWG NDA.
  • 2018-10-11 Simon to ask the board to contact the Working Groups about the NDA and ask people to sign up.
  • 2018-11-08 Simon to ask William to provide information about the Canadian OGL variants he is interested in, in a systematic format.
  • 2019-01-10 Simon to draft text to developers of apps related to geo/mapping, having OSM in their names or using variations of our logo.
  • 2019-02-14 Simon to summarise the advice regarding information requests from law enforcement and send it around.
  • 2019-04-11 Simon to add LWG past guidance which has not gone into the attribution page.
  • 2019-06-13 LWG members to look at mobile app attribution of other map providers.
  • 2019-07-11 Kathleen to draft one-line attribution statement for the Tile Licence and get feedback from the LWG.
  • 2019-07-11 Jim and Lucas to provide feedback on the Attribution Guidance.
  • 2019-08-08 Simon to talk to Christine about having a Birds of a Feather session at State of the Map.
  • 2019-08-08 Simon to seek legal advice on potential GDPR/privacy issues with a no-deal Brexit.
  • 2019-09-12 Simon to update the date on the Attribution Guidance draft.
  • 2019-09-12 Kathleen to talk to iD developers and see what they can implement as an iD internal based solution.
  • 2019-10-10 Simon draft letter to board wrt PD checkbox

Reportage

iD privacy policy

New LWG member

Chairperson suggests welcoming Michael Cheng as a new member of the LWG.

Attribution Guidance

We should have enough material now to select text variants for the critical sections and finalize if for a final round of public review and then submission to the board for adoptions (if this actually necessary?).

Recent changes include

  • Rewritten section on attribution mentioning "OSM" instead of "OSM contributors".
  • Rewritten section on ML to make it more specific to the one example that was discussed on the list.
  • Added section about routing engines (similar to geocoding).
  • Rewritten standard map tiles licence.
  • Added section on document goal and community ethos (might be shortened).
  • Our requested attribution is "© OpenStreetMap contributors" changed to: Attribution should be to "OpenStreetMap".
  • Added "small maps" section.

Review of current document sections

Underlying Principles

  • OK.

Attribution should be to "OpenStreetMap"

  • Last paragraph approved.

Pannable and zoomable maps on websites

  • Example map has to be updated.

Static images

  • Small thumbnail icons do not require attribution.
  • Discussion on missing attribution on images containing OSM data, sent from Strava to their users via email. Images sent directly by Strava via email to users do not qualify as small thumbnails and do require attribution.

Small maps

  • Suggestion to change "25% of the screen" to "25% of the displayed window" (updated)

Mobile devices

  • OK.

Geocoding - Search

  • OK.

Routing engines

  • OK.

Machine learning models

  • Placeholder with most common scenario added.
  • Future separate guideline.
  • Draft text to be copied to a wikipage for comments.

Books, magazines and printed maps

  • OK.

Artwork, household goods and clothing

  • OK.

TV, film or video productions

  • OK.

Tile licence

Background by S.P: Proposal to use CC BY with waivers has resulted in an impasse, mainly due to the concern that this could be seen as signalling that the OSMF allows reverse engineering via the OSMF provided tile layer.

Downstream attribution requirements from the ODbL?

Deferred to email.

Inquiry from Uni Heidelberg

Background by S.P:We’ve received an inquiry from Heidelberg university wrt a project in which they would like to use (I’m assuming for routing) data on forest tracks from a third party together with OSM for the normal public road network.

This would seem to stretch our current guidance, opinions?

Deferred to email.

Any Other Business

OTRS in use for legal-questions mailbox, others to follow.

Next Meeting

December 12th 2019 20:00 UTC on Mumble