Working Group Minutes/EWG 2021-08-31
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Minutes of the 2021-08-31 Engineering Working Group meeting on BigBlueButton.
- Rob Savoye
- Tobias Knerr
- Paul Norman
- Roland Olbricht
- Adam Hoyle
- Meetings will be held every 14 days.
- The time somewhat works for all attendees, but isn't ideal if we can find something that works better.
- Action: Roland to set up a scheduling poll for a regular meeting time and share an invitation link on the EWG email list.
Decision-making and communication channels
- We will continue using the engineering@ email list. Important discussions should happen there or at meetings.
- In addition to this, Paul has set up an IRC chatroom at #osmf-engineering for more ephemeral communication. The room is accessible through Matrix as well.
- Decision-making processes weren't specifically discussed yet.
- It is customary for most OSMF working groups to have a chairperson, although the rules of order do not require it.
- Roland volunteers for the position of EWG chairperson, chairs the remainder of this meeting.
- A proper chairperson election will occur at the next meeting to allow additional candidates to step forward (should they wish to do so).
Recruiting members and advertising the group
- Decision: Publish a blog post on blog.openstreetmap.org to introduce EWG
- Deadline for the draft is a week from now. (Our goal is to have it public well before the next meeting, and CWG will need some time to get it published.)
- The post should be self-contained, readers should not need to follow links to understand what EWG is about.
- Do not focus on the history and previous incarnations of EWG.
- The blog post will be shared to relevant channels, such as mailing lists.
- The EWG page on the osmfoundation.org website is ok, no immediate need for improvements.
- Prepare long term goals
- Brainstorm ideas for initial project proposals until next meeting
- Our proposals should be sufficiently precise, depending on purpose
- A software list (like the one we used internally to come up with a classification of projects in the ecosystem) could be useful. Caveat: If it is published, it needs to be fair and balanced. Maybe cite and modify existing list.
- We've inherited the Top Ten Tasks page from our predecessors. Some initial discussion:
- List has only 9 items because of the previous group's inactivity
- Belgium Local Chapter’s “OpenStreetMap Welcome tool” (which is currently in beta) is related to Task #5 (tools for welcoming new users)
- Action: Everyone to start thinking about proposal ideas and what to do with the Top Ten Tasks page.
Conflict of interest rules
- Due to the financial interests involved with selecting grant recipients, it is especially important to handle conflicts of interest properly.
- Decision: Stick with the OSM Foundation's default CoI policy for working group until further notice
- Any member is encouraged to put this topic on the agenda again if, after some consideration, they feel that the default is insufficient.
Any other business
- There should be public meeting minutes
- Action: Tobias to write down minutes for this meeting
- After the first few meetings, it will make sense to ask for administrative assistance
- Action: Roland to share a list of tasks to be completed until the next meeting
Will happen in about two weeks, exact time and date TBD.