Working Group Minutes/Licensing Working Group Minutes, 2009-03-18/19

Attendees

18th March: Mike, Steve, Grant

Apologies from Mikel Maron

Henk had trouble dialing in

19th March: Mike, Steve, Henk

Grant joined later

Agenda

* ODbL
* Recent phone in
31st March + 7 days. reduce vote period by 1 week.

meeting postponed till tomorrow…

* OSMs instance of the license
- CC0 vs FIL vs PDDL
* ODbL
* OSMs implementation
* Open Issues on Wiki
* Comments procedure ending on Friday 20th March
* OSM rep for Open Data Commons Advisory Council
* Any issues from ITO legal review

Minutes

* ODbL 0.9
- Use cases have not yet been answered by Clark. There are now more Use Cases and specific Open Issue items to send him. We’ll send those after an answer has been received so that it is not delayed.
- Discussion of Saturday’s license phone call-in feedback was discussed, points arising:

- There was a general call for the process to slow down.

- Peter Miller suggestion was agreed that specifically there should at least a week after 1.0 license release for the Board to have it reviewed by legal counsel.

Changed implementation process wording:

“OSMF Board first considers endorsing licence and asks OSMF members (as of 23rd January) to vote (2 week, after 1 week we will send out a reminder to people who haven’t yet responded) on whether ODbL 1.0 should be put to the community for adoption.”
to
“OSMF Board reviews licence and considers asking OSMF members (as of 23rd January) to vote (1 week, after 3 days we will send out a reminder to people who haven’t yet responded) on whether ODbL 1.0 should be put to the community for adoption.” (We do not want to be prescriptive on what the board is going to do.)

Minute: Remind Board about the date.
* OSMs instance of the license
Action: All: LWG members to read CC0, and PDDL (and FIL) as possible alternatives to FIL

http://creativecommons.org/license/zero/
http://www.opendatacommons.org/category/pddl/
http://www.opendatacommons.org/licenses/fil/

* Open Issues on Wiki

Action: Henk and Mike: to carefully compare current version of Open Issues page with Steve’s 10th March email to Clark Asay to make sure all issues have been handed over for formal legal review and advice.
Action: Grant to update page with LWG’s progress on answering these questions.
* Comments procedure ending on Friday 20th March
Action: Henk: Send email reminder to legal and german and dutch mailing list.
Action: Mike: Add ITO review Licensor/You issue to ODC comments page.
* OSM rep for Open Data Commons Advisory Council
[Grant joins the meeting]

ODC has invited OSMF to nominate a representative The LWG felt it should recommend a candidate to the OSM board rather than directly appointing one. As this person should be a bridge between OSM license activities and the ODC’s evolution of the ODbL, an LWG or board member would practical. Mikel or Mike were considered as good candidates.The LWG intends to put Mike or Mikel forward to the board for this role with a comment opportunity from the OSMF members-list.

Action: Mike: email Mikel if he would be interested .
* Any issues from ITO legal review
Mike has has sent a link to the document to Jordan for his meeting with ODC colleague Rufus Pollock on 19th March.
Action: Steve: hand document or link to Clark once he has responded to outstanding issues
AOB
* Lithuania situation and general copyright violationprocedure
The LWG congratulated the Data Working Group and all those involved. This provides a well documented pilot for future issues.
Action: Grant: Put up a formal “Googlisable” wiki page outlning our policy to potential copyright violation and how to report it.
Next Meeting: Wed 25th March 18:00 GMT.