One of the Foundation Working Groups, the Licensing Working Group is charged with looking at
- Licensing matters relating to using our geodata, (our end user license, community guidelines, License FAQ).
- Licensing matters relating creating our geodata, (contributor terms, [imports], using aerial imagery ...)
- Legal matters relating to responsibility and risk, (trademarks, safe harbour, privacy, child protection, ...)
The promotion of open geospatial data through practical, coherent and clear licensing is our number one priority.
Moving forward from the licence change in 2012, we expect to play a license maintenance role and to be “educational” in helping people in and outside the OSM community to understand our license and working to clarify issues raised. In addition, we want to explore taking OSMF to be a more outward-looking organisation within the arena of promoting free and open geospatial data licensing.
More information about what we would like to do and what we must focus on can be found in a our 2013 action plan.
If you have noticed a potential licence violation by a consumer of OpenStreetMap data and have been unable to resolve the matter bilaterally, please feel free to contact the LWG via e-mail.
Who we are
Our core members are:
- Luis Villa
- Lily Toy
- Alyssa Wright
- Michael Steffen
- Dr. Marlena Jankowska
- Satoshi IIDA
- Paul Norman (OSMF Board)
- Dermot McNally
- Steve Coast
- Simon Poole (Chair)
We are a group with diverse views who listen to the range of views across the OpenStreetMap community and work to create a practical and clearly communicatable consensus. We are friendly and courteous. We are always open to new members, whether to take part regularly or to work on a particular issue that frustrates you.
Our core member are expected to join regularly join our voice conference meetings in English and take on an average of one action item per meeting, generally to do some kind of research. We currently use "mumble" for voice conferencing. We will typically discuss or track an issue over several months.
If you want to help from time to time or want to work on a particular issue and then stop, you are still welcome to join our meetings.
We understand that can be very difficult for non-native English speakers. So if you just want to use email, that is fine. Working with many countries is becoming increasingly important to us.
Most of us are not lawyers. All we ask is genuine concern to protect the ideals and interests of OpenStreetMap and open data and to make life easier for contributors and end users. Do contact us!
Get in touch
You can get in touch with the whole team for general discussion at: email@example.com
Please send questions with respect to licensing, business models and similar subjects that you are asking the OSMF as licensor of the OSM data to:
Please do not send or CC such requests to the regular LWG mail address.
We will try and respond to such queries as soon as possible.
You can subscribe to the OSM legal-talk mailing list at http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo
The group now meets approximately once per month.
- A conference call took place on the 14th March 2009 at 15:00UTC as announced in the 12th March. informal notes were published on legal-talk soon after.
- 6th May - Conference call with Legal Council. Discussing Open Issues and some of the items from Use Cases. - Q&A text.
- 11th May - Second conference call with Legal Council. Notes available
- 11th July - SOTM License Panel Debate