Location: Mumble, 2016-08-14, 1800 London time
- 1 Participants
- 2 Administrative
- 3 Previous action items
- 4 Corporate membership
- 5 OSMF web site
- 6 OSM Awards
- 7 Next steps for a Diversity Policy
- 8 2016 donation drive/2017 budget
- 9 F2F meeting
- 10 Auditor
- 11 NDAs
- 12 Banking
- 13 Opening membership register
- 14 Next meeting
- 15 Meeting End
- Peter Barth
- Martijn van Exel
- Paul Norman
- Frederik Ramm (chairing)
- Ilya Zverev
- Mikel Maron
Open to all members
- Kate Chapman
2016/10: Approve 2015 financials
Approve 2015 financials as sent round by Vivien on 19 July 2016.
Accepted 2016-07-20 with ultimately 6 votes in favour.
Previous action items
Paul to resend public vote research he had done last year (Done)
Paul to review notes for unclaimed action items (Done)
2016-05-28: Paul to put out call for EWG volunteers
Paul talk to Kate about thematic LCs (Done)
2016-05-28: Martijn to investigate best practices for Advisory Boards & make a proposal
2016-05-28: Martijn to find someone to work with to distill action items and next steps for diversity objectives
2016-05-28: Mikel to support revitilization of CWG
2016-05-28: Mikel to share notes on LC discussion
2016-05-28: Martijn/Kate to draft diversity policy
2016-05-28: Martijn/Kate to revise reframe/finalize corporate membership policy
Kate to lead hiring process (Done)
2016-05-28: Ilya to compile a draft of an OSMF monthly newsletter from WG & board minutes
Ilya to present an Engineering Committee draft to the Board (Done)
Ilya to ask LWG for up-to-date list of trademarks (Done)
Ilya to present proposal to open the membership register (Done)
2016-05-28: Ilya to elaborate on and possibly find local OSMF ambassadors
2016-05-28: Frederik/Paul to prepare rules of order change + transparency doc from transparency session
Martijn to create tickets to track work for funding drive (Done)
Help needed minuting the face to face meeting. There is no list of topics or agenda since we did it on the fly. Mikel might have something. Everyone to review the minutes for missing topics.
Mikel to put LC discussion notes on board Wiki.
rules of order change + transparency doc
Rules of order change sent, transparency doc not started
- Offer early SOTM sponsorship, even if it's not worth very much to companies. May give SOTM WG a chance to contact all corporate members. Only offer one level of early access, not three.
- Firm up what one joint press release annually means
- Adjust wording for platinum to make clear that the board member is going there and giving and a presentation and not going there to discuss your business strategy
Martijn to incorporate most recent comments, post to board@ and osmf-talk@, then start circular.
We need a strategy for finding corporate members and signing them up once we have released the new corporate membership tiers.
OSMF web site
I think the OSMF web site could be improved significantly to be more effective. I see a few objectives I would like to reach with a rework. To my mind the OSMF web site should:
- Be a significant driver for donations and new memberships
- Provide clear calls to action for contributing to OSM in other ways
- Be an authoritative destination for a clear explanation of the ODbL
To my mind we do not currently achieve these. Some of the reasons why include:
- It is not quite clear who the intended audience is, which can make specific information hard to find.
- The 'wiki-like' design is uninviting and does not signal authoritativeness on important topics like the license.
- Redesign is possible with a MediaWiki backend
- We need separation between OSMF site and OSM site
- First stage is to agree on scope on site
- Ideally would be CWG's responsibility, but they probably don't have the capacity. We still need to involve them
- Not much success for reaching out to community for graphics design, and companies aren't interested in helping that way
- Shouldn't tie donation drive and corporate membership to any website changes to avoid holding them up
Focus on donation site, not OSMF website.
- Martijn to take lead on getting donation website in good shape for launch of drive
Martijn had to leave at the end of this item.
And I'd like to discuss OSM Awards, specifically how and if the Board will endorse them, what should and can we award (diplomas, medals, cups), and if we are going to grant a monetary award for the Ulf's category.
Is it possible for OSMF board to endorse awards? Okay with this.
Consider a physical award.
Approx 220 euros of donations mentioning Ulf.
Next steps for a Diversity Policy
Mikel has bulleted out some items for the policy to cover.
Looking at a diversity policy, not a code of conduct
F2F had thematic local chapters and grooming WG/board members as other items for improving diversity, we need to make sure we have a focus on those too.
Mikel to send round bullet points.
2016 donation drive/2017 budget
Frederik has sent around a very draft 2017 budget for basing our fundraising drive on.
Frederik's draft was a very rough ballpark order to estimate donation drive needs, based on previous years, not input from WGs. The breakdown of expenses by WG is not meaningful.
Frederik to take PDF and send to WGs for overview of glaring problems
Further discussion deferred.
F2F meeting is Sunday afternoon at SOTM.
NDA agreed to but not signed.
Will have NDAs from both LWG and MWG which need signing by someone not in the WGs.
Paul to send blank agreement to board.
Frederik to ask osmf-talk@ for help finding a bank that better suits our needs.
Opening membership register
Proposed to publish a csv file of osm names, real names, and dates. Need to make a conscious decision before handing out something part of legally required register.
Review what we said previously about what would disclosed associate members.
When supplying associate member register we need to satisfied that it won't be published to third parties who aren't members as per AoA.
For immediate request, send Heather list of regular members (name, address, when they became a member) and associate members.
Ilya to look at implementing means for members to view the list.
Meetings are now recurring, 3rd friday of each month, 1800 London time