Licensing Working Group/Minutes/2020-06-11
OpenStreetMap Foundation, Licensing Working Group - Agenda & Minutes
Thursday June 11th 2020, 20:00 - 21:00 UTC
- 1 Participants
- 2 Administrative
- 3 Reportage
- 4 Tile licence change
- 5 OSMF website legal bits re-organisation
- 6 Question regarding legal compatibility of Open Data Portal Dresden and OSM
- 7 Maps related product with "OSM" variant name by company that asked to become an OSMF Corporate Member
- 8 “OSM Buildings”
- 9 Any Other Business
- 10 Next Meeting
- Simon Poole (chairing)
- Kathleen Lu
- Jim Vidano
- Michael Cheng
Apologies: Guillaume Rischard
Adoption of past Minutes
- 2020-05-14 Accepted
Previous Action Items
- 2017-03-02 Simon determine existing obligations towards sources listed on the copyright page.
- 2017-05-04 All/Simon review import guidelines wrt licence “approval”.
- 2018-03-08 All look at the Working Groups collecting personal information.
- 2018-04-12 LWG to follow-up on the iD editor, as the number of changesets is now included on the changeset comments thread.
- 2018-05-10 Jim to sign the LWG NDA.
- 2018-10-11 Simon to ask the board to contact the Working Groups about the NDA and ask people to sign up.
- 2019-01-10 Simon to draft text to developers of apps related to geo/mapping, having OSM in their names or using variations of our logo.
- 2019-02-14 Simon to summarise the advice regarding information requests from law enforcement and send it around.
- 2019-12-12 Simon to discuss trademark registration strategy (more countries, additional classes, etc) with lawdit
- 2019-12-12 Simon to get back to Uni Heidelberg wrt track issue
- 2020-01-09 Simon to include text about downstream produced works to the FAQ.
- 2020-01-09 Kathleen to produce 1-2 sentences about osm.org tile licence, to be included on copyright page.
2020-03-12 Simon to send email or fax to Moovit.
- 2020-03-12 Simon to send to Mateusz the link with the research by Kathleen on attribution on various apps.
- 2020-03-12 Guillaume to talk to the board and get back to the LWG after the board's screen to screen meeting. Suggested feedback to include if the LWG should continue with the attribution guidance in some form as it is now.
- 2020-04-09 Guillaume to contact Safer about OpenFricheMap.
- 2020-05-14 Simon to create a spreadsheet of top level country domains with info about whether registered by OSMF or not.
- 2020-06-11 Simon to send email to Moovit to follow-up.
2020-06-11 Simon to write a blogpost about the change.
- 2020-06-11 Simon to create pull request to update https://www.openstreetmap.org/copyright [Topic: Tile licence change]
- 2020-06-11 Simon to replace the following sentence on the FAQ: "Note that the map tiles we serve continue to be published under the CC-BY-SA license" with language from LWG attribution guideline draft. [Tile licence change]
- 2020-06-11 Simon to delete text on https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Category:CC_BY-SA [Topic: Tile licence change]
- 2020-06-11 Simon to add a new answer to https://help.openstreetmap.org/questions/700/publishing-an-openstreetmap pointing out that the list is outdated and of historic interest only and point to the copyright page and the blogpost for current status of the tile licence.
2020-06-11 Simon to reply to Michael Reichert regarding Open Data Portal Dresden and ask them to clarify or set up a meeting. 2020-06-11 Simon to email the board regarding the maps related product with "OSM" variant name by company that asked to become an OSMF Corporate Member. 2020-06-11 Simon to email Jan Marsch regarding his request for permission to use the term „OSM Buildings“ as brand name for the project OSM Buildings.
Tile licence change
The tile licence will change per July 1st.
Texts to change:
- We should probably also update the attribution in the corner of the openstreetmap.org homepage map. (SP: do we mention CC BY-SA there?)
The cartography in our map tiles, and our documentation, are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 license (CC BY-SA). ... We require that you use the credit “© OpenStreetMap contributors”.
You must also make it clear that the data is available under the Open Database License, and if using our map tiles, that the cartography is licensed as CC BY-SA.
|Language sent to the board
Map tiles in the "standard" style produced on and provided from OSMF infrastructure are licensed as a ODbL 1.0 Produced Work with no additional terms effective June 1st 2020.
|Language from draft Attribution Guidelines:
“Standard” style map tiles The map tiles at www.openstreetmap.org are a Produced Work by the OpenStreetMap Foundation using OpenStreetMap data under the Open Database License.
Thus, if you are using map tiles supplied by us (e.g., as a screenshot) use the following attribution:
If you are using the tiles in a format that does not support hyperlinks, you can use explanatory text, such as “see www.openstreetmap.org/copyright and www.osmfoundation.org” instead.
Note that this only applies to the map images in the “standard” style, found at www.openstreetmap.org. Other providers of maps will have other requirements.
The map tiles in the “standard style” at www.openstreetmap.org are a Produced Work by the OpenStreetMap Foundation using OpenStreetMap data under the Open Database License.
If you are using these tile please use the following attribution:
Points mentioned during discussion
- On attribution in the corner of the openstreetmap.org homepage map:
- Suggestion: Remove © and contributors, because not a copyright issue any more. # Comment: Not pre-empty the board. Current board draft of attribution guidelines drops "contributors" as well.
- German version of copyright page has wrong reference to CC BY-SA 2.0 (while style: CC0).
- Simon to write a blogpost about the change.
- Simon to create pull request to update https://www.openstreetmap.org/copyright
- Simon to replace the following sentence on the FAQ: "Note that the map tiles we serve continue to be published under the CC-BY-SA license" with language from LWG attribution guideline draft.
- Simon to delete text on https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Category:CC_BY-SA
- Simon to add a new answer to https://help.openstreetmap.org/questions/700/publishing-an-openstreetmap pointing out that the list is outdated and of historic interest only and point to the copyright page and the blogpost for current status.
OSMF website legal bits re-organisation
See mail from Kathleen:
The main page of the OSMF website lists to "Trademark Policy" under "Policies and Other Documents", not under "Legal".
More confusing is that the links to the Trademark FAQ, quick license, and grandfathering license can only be found after clicking on "Policies and other Documents."
Suggestion: move this set of links to sit under "Legal" heading on the main page.
Action item: Dorothea has been tasked to do it.
Question regarding legal compatibility of Open Data Portal Dresden and OSM
See mail from Michael Reichert on 2020-06-09: “Question regarding legal compatibility of Open Data Portal Dresden and OSM”
The open data portal of the German city of Dresden provides data sets licensed under Datenlizenz Deutschland Namensnennung 2.0 (de-dl-by/2.0). However, in their imprint the city adds a couple of additional terms. [..] Question whether the permission regarding attribution is sufficient.
Open Data Portal Dresden tried to make data ODbL compatible.
Problem: Ambiguous for downstream attribution.
On "Exclusion of certain use": We have historically taken the position that illegal use doesn't need to be covered by the license.
Action item: Simon to reply to Michael and ask them to clarify or set up a meeting.
See mail by Dorothea on 2020-06-08
We have a good example at hand that using OSM in your product name is not a good idea to start with.
Action item: Simon to email Allan and cc the board.
The LWG and the board received an email by Jan Marsch requesting permission to use the term „OSM Buildings“ as brand name for the project OSM Buildings.
Points mentioned during discussion
- OSMF is not giving any exclusive rights to combinations of names with "OSM".
- Both have equal rights to use combinations of "OSM" and "buildings".
- First 3D buildings project in OpenStreetMap.Name use covered by trademark policy, so no need to ask OSMF approval.
Action item: Simon to email Jan.
Any Other Business
July 9th 2020 20:00 UTC on Mumble