Local Chapters and Communities Working Group/Meeting minutes/2020-04-20
Meeting started at 17:04 UTC.
- Ben - BE
- Clifford - US
- Eugene - PH
- Joost - BE
- Maggie - US (joined at around 17:10)
- Rob - UK
- Patrick - CH
- Stefano - IT
Approval of the 2020-03-23 meeting minutes
- Unanimously approved
Previous action items
- Items in bold and highlighted are updates in status or new action items.
|Clifford||Run a survey with existing chapters and chapters-to-be to get their views why they applied/will apply to become a chapter||Ongoing: Survey is closed. Review of responses is not yet started
|Maggie, Rob||Plan for an online/virtual series of Local Chapters Congress events||Ongoing
|Joost||Do a comparison of features of various OSM websites||Ongoing
|All||Work with OSM India to become a Local Chapter||Not yet
|Eugene||Request OSMF Board for funding for 1 or 2 LCCWG members to attend SotM 2020||Not done: Moot due to cancelation of in-person SotM
|Maggie, Clifford||Support the development of microcosm||Ongoing
|All||Sign NDA with the OSMF||Ongoing||Internal OSMF communication related to Local Chapters Survey|
Per the Terms of Reference, WG members should work on the focus items.
Building local community cohesion
- Maggie hasn't heard back from Brian. We need Brian's lead in order to push forward.
Welcoming new mappers
Background: Joost opened GitLab issue #8 with the title "Welcoming new mappers" and the description "It's something we would like to see happen all over the world. It is not currently an action item though. Some history at https://github.com/osmlab/osm-planning/issues/13"
- Action item: The WG agreed to tackle this as two sub-tasks:
- Sub-task 1: Allow recognized groups and organizations (for now, Local Chapters, as an incentive to becoming a LC) to send messages to OSM users
- Sub-task 1: Set up one of the functioning tools for welcoming new mappers to be used by as many groups as possible.
- One tool that can be adopted is OSMBE's welcoming tool (or OSM IT's fork), but only as a first step, we want to integrate in OSM.org in future, maybe as part of microcosm.
- Maggie and Joost will set up an open call for collaborations on the topic.
Facilitating a global exchange of ideas
Comparison of OSM websites
- Ongoing; comparison doesn't yet include UK, BE, and CZ.
SotM 2020/Online Local Chapters and Communities Congress (LCCC)
Background: SotMWG has announced that SotM 2020 will switch to an online/virtual conference instead due to the pandemic.
- As agreed before, WG will analyse the survey results and this will inform the agenda of the LCCC.
- No progress yet on the approved SotM session. (The WG could simply just present the results of the survey and introduce the work done by the WG).
Improving the Local Chapters affiliation scheme
Local Chapters survey
- Clifford has closed the survey form and will provide the responses to the WG this week (and provide the raw data to Joost who can possibly transform the responses into a more digestible form)
- Sub-action item: WG's assignment will be to read and analyse the responses picking up any insights and actionable items.
Working with OSM India
- Clifford stated that OSM India did not respond to the survey. Clifford will try contacting the community again.
- Eugene will also try helping by contacting people he knows from the Indian community.
- Has everybody signed the NDA and submitted it back to Dorothea?
- Done: Joost, Clifford, ...
- Not done: others
Continue using BigBlueButton?
Background: The Board has decided to try switching from Mumble to BigBlueButton (BBB) for their monthly meetings. They had a BBB server set up for the OSMF at https://osmvideo.cloud68.co/. The WG had decided to try using the system for this present meeting.
- The WG agreed to continue using BBB instead of Mumble.
- OSMF Microgrants has been launched: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Microgrants/Microgrants_2020
- OSM US has released the first part of their community survey results: https://www.openstreetmap.us/2020-community-survey/part1
- OSM US is moving forward with their drafting of a community Code of Conduct: https://www.openstreetmap.us/2020/04/cocdraft/
Next meeting will be on May 18 (third Monday), 17:00 UTC. Eugene will send a calendar invite.
Meeting ended at 18:00 UTC.