OSMF updates - January 2018
Communication Working Group
- New CWG members & introductions: Andrew and Michael (nebulon42) have joined the CWG. Welcome!
- New wikimedia skin - update: New wikimedia skin created by Michael for the OSMF website. The skin is currently active as an alternative skin, which people who have OSMF wiki accounts can choose as their default one. The CWG is looking for people to test the new skin! If you have an osmf-wiki account please go here and select the "OSMFoundation" skin. We welcome suggestions on the github issue tracker. (one suggestion = one issue please).
- Post to apply for State of the Map scholarships: live
- Other posts in the queue: SotM Call for academic abstracts, "1 million" contributors post, Ideas for additional posts on the CWG pad.
- CWG structure
- Harry has been involved the longest and is our unofficial leader
- unofficial specialisation, based on the access each member has to the OSM social accounts and to other platforms
- Reaching out ideas
- getting more people outside the OSM community aware of our various communication feeds
- inviting tech writers to follow our communication feeds
- sending out press releases
- noting journalists who have written about OSM before
Data Working Group
||Data Working Group, Join
||Tue March 13th, at 20:00 UTC (subject to availability)
|Previous month minutes
- Digital Millennium Copyright Act Notice (and non-DMCA) takedown policy: Paul Norman (who is also on the LWG) will provide input to the LWG. # The Licensing Working Group has decided to undertake revisions to OSMF's DMCA policy and has asked whether someone from DWG can volunteer to give some initial feedback and provide some insight on how changes might affect DWG implementation.
- New DWG member onboarding, and general ticket work
- Election of Andy Townsend as Chairperson
- Directed Editing Policy: compiling the feedback and will develop a new version of the policy. # There is an increased interest on OSM from corporations who have employees that edit in their daytime. This might create communication problems between paid and volunteer mappers, or even an imbalance of power. Out of this situation the question arises on how to regulate this to ensure fair play. The board had asked the Data Working Group to work on a corporate editing policy, in a manner that it has sufficient community input, and before anything is decided to come back to the board. The views of the community members were collected through a survey, from mailing list discussions and from the Advisory Board.
- Policy on DWG signup - discussion will continue via email
Engineering Working Group
- Google Summer of Code (GSoC) 2018: Application has been submitted (and accepted)
- Collection of Ideas: People can propose their own projects and proposals can also be submitted via email. EWG can help potential mentors with preparing ideas for the wiki page.
- Top Ten Tasks: Ilya with Peter will expand the draft page
- GSoC Project History: Peter to tidy the wiki
Licensing Working Group
||Licensing Working Group, Join
||Monthly on the 2nd Thursday of the month, at 20:00 UTC, on Mumble, unless rescheduled.
||March 8th, 2018
|Previous month minutes
Membership Working Group
- Ongoing: Membership fee waiver program
- Ongoing: Member self service area
Operations Working Group
- Drafted a Request for Proposals to provision space in a data centre to continue to run the OpenStreetMap project's infrastructure will be circulated soon. # The proposed Request for Proposals sets out the requirements for a new data centre, and should ensure that we have the space, power, cooling and access we need to keep the site running. It also makes sure we have a well-documented, fair process which will result in a formal relationship with the new provider. If finding a new provider turns unsuccessful, alternatives have been proposed.
State of the Map Organising Committee
- New mailing list: OSM Science (subscribe or view archive). Focus:
- talk about recent scientific research on OSM
- develop the OSM research agenda
- get feedback and support on your planned OSM surveys (BEFORE they are undertaken)
- get feedback on your scientific plans and preliminary results from an interested subset of OSM community members
- look to develop collaborations, meetings etc (such as SotM 2018),
Ongoing: OSM-Belgium LC application
- OpenStreetMap Belgium has applied to become the OSMF Local Chapter for Belgium. All necessary documents and translations have been received. Pending: Community and Membership consultations.
The OSMF Board of Directors invited the Advisory Board to contribute to the draft of the Welcome Mat to Organisations.
Board of Directors