Board/Minutes/2017-07-18

Location: Mumble, Tuesday 2017-07-18, 20:00 London time

Participants

Board members

  • Peter Barth
  • Kate Chapman
  • Mikel Maron
  • Frederik Ramm
  • Martijn van Exel

Guests

Open to all members

Guests are welcome to speak at the end of the meeting on the topics that have been discussed. Please note that text messages sent on Mumble chat may not be seen by people who join using mobile apps.

Not Present

  • Paul Norman
  • Ilya Zverev

Administrative

Previous minutes

Circular Resolutions

None

Previous action items

2016-05-28: Martijn to find someone to work with to distill action items and next steps for diversity objectives
2016-05-28: Martijn/Kate to draft diversity policy
2016-05-28: Ilya to compile a draft of an OSMF monthly newsletter from Working Group (WG) & board minutes
2016-05-28: Frederik/Paul to prepare transparency doc from transparency session
2016-08-19: Mikel to send round bullet points on diversity policy proposal
2016-08-19: Ilya to look at implementing means for members to view the membership register
2016-09-25: Martijn to notify board when US has done policy on smaller grants
2016-10-28: Peter to create a page on the wiki, listing software products which are used by OSMF and aren't open-source
2017-02-21: Paul to separate the State of the Map (SotM) net profit discussion items and start the follow-up discussions
2017-04-18: Peter to make a list of requirements for self-hosting and discuss them with the OWG
2017-04-18: Peter to create page on OSM wiki regarding board meeting - which can be linked from the calendar (done)
2017-06-20: Frederik to talk to Peter about writing a blog post for the F2F meeting (done, post)
2017-06-20: Martijn to check with OSM-US if he can share the OSM-US draft policy for small grants (done)
2017-06-20: Martijn to draft message to HOT board about having a seat on the AB upfront & ask if the current Corporate Membership levels are ok or if they want a discount

Topics: Microgrants | Welcome Mat | Corp. Edit. | FR LC vote | Geocod. Guide. | Keynote | Admin. | AOB: | Votes | SotM2016 venue | 2016 financials | LC reports | German LC appl. | Bios | Monthly meeting

Microgrant Fundraising

Discussion about raising funds for a microgrants program. Providing microgrants was a topic discussed extensively during the Face-to-Face board meeting in May. A dedicated blog post with more details about the program will come out in August.

There will be a blog post in August presenting the plan of the Microgrants' program, which we could launch if we get financial backers.

Action item: Kate and Martijn to draft blog post presenting plan of Microgrants' program.

Topics: Microgrants | Welcome Mat | Corp. Edit. | FR LC vote | Geocod. Guide. | Keynote | Admin. | AOB: | Votes | SotM2016 venue | 2016 financials | LC reports | German LC appl. | Bios | Monthly meeting

Welcome Mat

Another topic discussed extensively during the Face-to-Face board meeting in May. The Welcome Mat will be a guide to organisations and corporations that want to be involved with OSM. It will have information to familiarise themselves with the project, the community and especially to learn our expectations and their responsibilities. Please note that the name may change.

Action item: Mikel to write up a concept note based on conversations during the previous Face-to-Face meeting (May 2017, Amsterdam).

Plan afterwards: Short informal questionnaire to be sent to members of the Advisory Board and maybe other groups in order to see:

  • where they've had challenges and blockers before and
  • what resources they would be looking for in a Welcome Mat website.
Topics: Microgrants | Welcome Mat | Corp. Edit. | FR LC vote | Geocod. Guide. | Keynote | Admin. | AOB: | Votes | SotM2016 venue | 2016 financials | LC reports | German LC appl. | Bios | Monthly meeting

Corporate editing policy - seek public input

There is an increased interest on OSM from corporations who have employees that edit in their daytime. This might create communication problems between paid and volunteer mappers, or even an imbalance of power. Out of this situation the question arises on how to regulate this to ensure fair play. The board had asked the Data Working Group to work on a corporate editing policy, in a manner that it has sufficient community input, and before anything is decided to come back to the board. The views of the community members will be collected through a survey. Related discussions: June 2017, April 2017

The draft questionnaire has been sent to the board by Paul.

  • The Data Working Group has tried to use wording that doesn't influence the outcome.
  • The DWG has considered to provide a draft of the survey but decided against it, fearing that people will start to discuss small details of the draft which was meant to be just a sketch and not production ready.
  • Organised editing considered to be a superclass and paid editing a subclass.
  • The DWG wants to put out the survey as soon as possible.

Plan:

  • Run survey for about two weeks.
  • The input from the discussions that will be initiated will be used to produce the policy.

Comment during discussion:
Providing context about timeline and setting the expectations of how survey results will be utilised, might be useful.

Topics: Microgrants | Welcome Mat | Corp. Edit. | FR LC vote | Geocod. Guide. | Keynote | Admin. | AOB: | Votes | SotM2016 venue | 2016 financials | LC reports | German LC appl. | Bios | Monthly meeting

Vote on FR Local Chapter

OpenStreetMap France (OSM-FR) has applied to become the OSMF Local Chapter (LC) for France. Please note that for consultation and as part of due diligence, the OSM community has been asked (on osmf-talk and talk-fr) to provide comments on the application till the 30th of June. Related update: June 2017
Lead: Martijn

Review: The community consultation ended without any substantive comments that would have us review the application more.

FR Local Chapter vote
Accept OpenStreetMap France (OSM-FR) as the OSMF Local Chapter for France.
Accepted with ultimately 5 votes in favour: Frederik, Kate, Martijn, Mikel, Peter

Action items:

  • Martijn to follow up with formal signing of documents.(done)
  • Peter to follow up with CWG about the blog post.
  • Martijn to ask board members of the FR local chapter to provide comments for the blog post.
Topics: Microgrants | Welcome Mat | Corp. Edit. | FR LC vote | Geocod. Guide. | Keynote | Admin. | AOB: | Votes | SotM2016 venue | 2016 financials | LC reports | German LC appl. | Bios | Monthly meeting

Geocoding guideline

The Licensing Working Group has produced a draft Geocoding Guideline and FAQ that was open for comments (1, 2). The consultation phase has ended. Related update: June 2017

Update

  • The LWG sent the document for final review to the board about one week ago and asked the board to put this forward for a vote.
  • The board got a request from an Advisory Board member (Bing) to have some time to review it.

Comment from Imagico (Guest)

  • Imagico has asked a related question on the talk mailing list but didn't get a reply from the LWG.
  • He would like to get an answer before the final version is decided.

The board could grant a few more weeks for the LWG to answer.

Request from Advisory Board member to allow more time to comment

The Advisory Board has been sent the draft Geocoding Guideline. Bing has asked if the Geocoding Guideline can be finalised after the 7th of August, in order to have some more time to comment.
Topics: Microgrants | Welcome Mat | Corp. Edit. | FR LC vote | Geocod. Guide. | Keynote | Admin. | AOB: | Votes | SotM2016 venue | 2016 financials | LC reports | German LC appl. | Bios | Monthly meeting

State of the Map 2017 Keynote

Kate was invited to give the SotM 2017 Keynote speech and had accepted, but unfortunately she won't be able to do it. Discussion about who else could be the Keynote speaker. The deadline for the decision is the 23rd of July.
Lead: Kate

Kate has contacted Rob, suggesting her replacement by one of the board members who will attend.

Other options:

  • No keynote.
  • Welcome message from one of the board members already attending.

Action item: Kate to follow up with Rob suggesting a welcome message from a board member.

Topics: Microgrants | Welcome Mat | Corp. Edit. | FR LC vote | Geocod. Guide. | Keynote | Admin. | AOB: | Votes | SotM2016 venue | 2016 financials | LC reports | German LC appl. | Bios | Monthly meeting

Administrative Assistant

The board has previously agreed that it has not yet been explained to the membership what the work of the Administrative Assistant is and the ways in which it is beneficial to the board. This topic was raised again during the Face-to-Face board meeting in May. Related discussion: April 2017
Lead: Peter

Action item: Peter to draft a post about the work of the Administrative Assistant.

Topics: Microgrants | Welcome Mat | Corp. Edit. | FR LC vote | Geocod. Guide. | Keynote | Admin. | AOB: | Votes | SotM2016 venue | 2016 financials | LC reports | German LC appl. | Bios | Monthly meeting

Any other business

Recording individual votes and changing the rules of order

This relates to the message by Christoph Hormann on osmf -talk, where he comments that since individual votes are now recorded, this should be reflected in the rules of order.

The Board has previously agreed to publish the individual votes. That decision has been taken at one of the previous Face-to-Face discussions regarding transparency. Recording the individual votes hasn't been regularly done because:

  • Board members usually had the same opinion.
  • There were a couple of discussions where the board said that it wouldn't publish the individual votes for specific reasons.

To do:

  • Frederik and Paul to complete the action item which required to look our new transparency rules and determine what changes we need to make to the rules of order to properly reflect that.
  • Voting is required to make that change in the rules of order (but should be a technicality, since people have previously agreed about it).

Action item: Peter to respond to Christoff on osmf-talk about recording individual votes and changing the rules of order. (done)

Topics: Microgrants | Welcome Mat | Corp. Edit. | FR LC vote | Geocod. Guide. | Keynote | Admin. | AOB: | Votes | SotM2016 venue | 2016 financials | LC reports | German LC appl. | Bios | Monthly meeting

Invoice for venue in Brussels (State of the Map 2016)

As the wifi didn't work properly during State of the Map 2016, this should be reflected on the invoice of the venue. An updated invoice has not been sent yet.
Lead: Mikel

Action item: Mikel to send email about updating the invoice of the SotM2016 venue.

Topics: Microgrants | Welcome Mat | Corp. Edit. | FR LC vote | Geocod. Guide. | Keynote | Admin. | AOB: | Votes | SotM2016 venue | 2016 financials | LC reports | German LC appl. | Bios | Monthly meeting

Final draft of 2016 financial statement

Board members are invited to have a look and provide comments.

Topics: Microgrants | Welcome Mat | Corp. Edit. | FR LC vote | Geocod. Guide. | Keynote | Admin. | AOB: | Votes | SotM2016 venue | 2016 financials | LC reports | German LC appl. | Bios | Monthly meeting

Local Chapter reporting

The Local Chapter agreement has some reporting requirements. The LCs need to make regular reporting to board about e.g. membership and an annual report. The board also needs to make regular reporting to LCs.

The Secretary will ensure that reporting is done by both sides.

Action item: Martijn to look at the process of regular reporting by the LCs to the board and vice versa.

Topics: Microgrants | Welcome Mat | Corp. Edit. | FR LC vote | Geocod. Guide. | Keynote | Admin. | AOB: | Votes | SotM2016 venue | 2016 financials | LC reports | German LC appl. | Bios | Monthly meeting

German Local Chapter application

The Germans have some minor issues with the Local Chapter agreement. One of them is that both OSMF and the LC have to report in a yearly fashion, but the wording of the LC agreement regarding the deadline of the report after the end of the business year is slightly different, yielding slightly different rules for both parties.

The Board can be flexible and is prepared to process the application, if the requested change of the LC agreement is minor, as in this case.

Topics: Microgrants | Welcome Mat | Corp. Edit. | FR LC vote | Geocod. Guide. | Keynote | Admin. | AOB: | Votes | SotM2016 venue | 2016 financials | LC reports | German LC appl. | Bios | Monthly meeting

Updating Board members' biographies

Reminder: All board member have to check their biographies on the OSMF wiki and keep them updated.

Topics: Microgrants | Welcome Mat | Corp. Edit. | FR LC vote | Geocod. Guide. | Keynote | Admin. | AOB: | Votes | SotM2016 venue | 2016 financials | LC reports | German LC appl. | Bios | Monthly meeting

Rescheduling the recurring board meeting

The meetings can no longer be done at this time slot (Tuesday at 20:00 London time) due to a recurring event that conflicts.

Action item: Martijn to organise rescheduling of the recurring board meeting.

Topics: Microgrants | Welcome Mat | Corp. Edit. | FR LC vote | Geocod. Guide. | Keynote | Admin. | AOB: | Votes | SotM2016 venue | 2016 financials | LC reports | German LC appl. | Bios | Monthly meeting

Next meeting

The recurring date and time of the monthly board meetings will change. Stay tuned!

Meeting end