Board/Minutes/2020-10-S2S/Make progress on attribution guidelines and enforcement
< Board | Minutes | 2020-10-S2S
Notes by participants. Might be enriched.
- Allan Mustard (Chairperson)
- Guillaume Rischard (Treasurer)
- Joost Schouppe (Secretary)
- Mikel Maron
- Paul Norman
- Rory McCann
- Tobias Knerr
- Legal counsel from OSMF pro-bono lawyer.
Discussion on email from OSMF pro-bono lawyer on draft guidelines.
- Email requested by LWG. Not shared yet, waiting for signed non-disclosure agreement (NDA) (signed so far by Simon and Kathleen, waiting for Michael, Jim).
On board and LWG versions
- Collapse attribution issue is the key difference between the board and the LWG versions.
- Changes: 1 attribution shown to people who see but don't interact, 2 consequential changes and 3 wording clean-up.
- Facebook feeling that LWG has been overridden.
- Board version took LWG by surprise.
Other points mentioned
- LWG has requested a red-lined version of their draft. Diff provided by board.
- Communication issues.
- Simon Poole (LWG chair) is retiring.
- Guillaume has asked Dermot McNally (past LWG member) whether he'd be interested to rejoin.
- Board do a circular that the LWG version is not acceptable.
- LWG is aware.
- Meeting with LWG.
- Perhaps contact other lawyers in the future.
On standard tile license
- New LWG written tile license mentions copyright also to OSMF.
- Attribution more complicated and contradicts image and what existing attributors are doing.
"If you are using these tiles please use the following attribution: “Base map and data from OpenStreetMap and OpenStreetMap Foundation”. "
[With the new phrasing] people who have attributed in past are not in compliance.
Suggestion: Email LWG.
- Get back to LWG and ask for the remaining NDAs to share OSMF pro-bono lawyer's feedback.
- Communicate to LWG that the board will not provide a red-lined version.
- Allan to remind LWG about waiting for the signed NDAs to share OSMF pro-bono lawyer's feedback.
- Paul to put explanation of the board attribution changes in writing and explain that the board won't provide a red-lined version.
- Paul to collaborate with Tobias on emailing LWG regarding the tile license attribution and rewrite specific part of copyright statement.
- Rory to email OSMF pro-bono lawyer.
- Tobias to collaborate with Paul on emailing LWG regarding the tile licence attribution and rewrite specific part of copyright statement.
- Dorothea to schedule video meeting with LWG during 2nd week of October.