Operations/Minutes/2021-08-25

From OpenStreetMap Foundation
Jump to navigation Jump to search

OpenStreetMap Foundation, Operations Meeting* - Agenda & draft minutes
Wednesday 25 August 2021 18:00 London time
Location: Video room at https://osmvideo.cloud68.co

* Please note that this was not strictly an Operations Working Group (OWG) meeting.

Participants

Present:

Minutes by Dorothea Kazazi.

Apologies:

Topics

Tilemaker

Would it make sense for the OSMF to host a set of vector tile generated by tilemaker?

https://github.com/openstreetmap/operations/issues/565 (created after the meeting)

On one of the donated server, probably after we got Sweden and Dublin running.

Requirements for planet generation

  • 128-160 GB RAM
  • SSD for workspace
  • time: in a couple of days on 16 cores (on 5650 Intel Xeon)

Generation of vector-tiles up to zoom level 14, in open maptiles schema.

Generation in standard Mapbox vector tiles format MVT -> SQlite container, can be rendered by any MVT-rendering library (Mapbox GL JS, maplibre-gl-js, Mapzen's Tangram).

  • new ordered machines: 256 G (probably won't use those)
  • necrosan: 196 GB, 12 cores
  • scorch: 128 GB, 8 cores
  • rhaegal in Croatia: 256 GB, 24 cores

use HPDL3.60 GEN8?

Vector tiles is a massive project.

Aims

  • Encouraging dev of osm.org
  • Fun thing to get started with.
  • Proof of concept.
  • Not a production service or a long-term solution.

Do a rendering example straight out of the box? > Yes, simple and will get people thinking.

Storage capacity for mbtiles
~100s GB

Can it be done similar with cycle travel, in parallel by continent?
> Yes - use of osmium to split the planet.

Suggestions

  • Initial weekly interval for updates of vector tiles.
  • Try to get an example web stack up before announcement.
  • Put the tiles through Fastly with current rate limiting.
  • Start with a single backend.

On making mbtiles available
Single file/container/SQL database that contains binary blobs.
Suggestions:
- Put container on planet server? > Depends on storage space.
- Explode the web-request URL path, it gets written in Ruby script that fetches individual tiles.

RichardF: https://github.com/systemed/tilemaker/blob/master/server/server.rb

On potential legal issues
> No.
> Default style: if using openmaptiles style - attribution.
Tilemaker has compatible version of schema.

Action item: Paul to make a tracking issue.

Mastodon

Amanda has been hosting Mastodon.

Board vote: 2021/Res29 OSMF takes over funding for the en.osm.town Mastodon instance/server

  • Could fit with OWG budget.
  • Aligns with free software goals.
  • Disadvantage: Another thing to run.

https://github.com/mastodon/mastodon
https://joinmastodon.org/

Decision
Keep it as it is for now. Finish current community website and then decide. Could then put it on OWG budget and enable OAuth 2.0 to it.

Discourse

  • We know what plugins we want to use.
  • No simple way to roll it progressively.
  • mmd and Andy tested Discourse.

Suggestion: In future look at ways for progressive roll outs.

Tom to merge the open ticket.

Usernames:

  • can be checked to not match osm.org. Can be changed back when relog in osm.org?
  • Username and email can be automatically forced.

IP addresses appearing in admin panel of Discourse are wrong - possibly due to Shorewall.

  • Private messages on osm.org, Discourse and forum.

On migration
Migrating forums, mailing lists, OSQA, possibly content from French community. They don't necessarily have the same usernames.

  • Some forum users want the forum content to be migrated.
  • It has been successfully done by others.
    • Fedora decided not to migrate, when switched to Discourse.
  • Migration of mailing lists' content probably a no.
  • Forum migration possible. Do we want to? > Not yet. Let the community decide.
    • Can keep forum on read-only status.

Timeline: probably mid-September will go live.

How will categories will look - non-EN communities? (Question by Tobias)
> Suggestion to talk to Rubén Martín on Slack.
> Decisions about categories will be left to other people.

Communication about the launch

Action items

  • 2021-08-11 Grant to look at the DAC cables to order from German supplier. [Topic: New render servers]
  • 2021-08-11 Guillaume to redirect parked/broken domains to openstreetmap.org [Topic: Redirect parked/broken domains to openstreetmap.org]
  • 2021-08-11 Grant and Paul to sync and one of them to be present during the August 27 public board meeting to give an update about Dublin data center. [Topic: Update about Dublin data center during the public board meeting]
  • 2021-07-28 OWG to email Fastly that we would like to tweet about them. [Topic: Fastly PR] # 2021-08-25 Guillaume emailed Mikel instead of Michal.
  • 2021-07-28 OWG to list Fastly on the website. [Topic: Fastly PR]
  • 2021-05-05 Grant to email Toby from WMF and suggest chatting to MapTiler. [Topic: Wikimedia] # 2021-06-02, 2021-06-16, 2021-06-30, 2021-07-14, 2021-08-11, 2021-08-25 Status: Pending. Low priority.
  • 2021-03-24 Tom to report back on TimescaleDB again at next meeting. [Topic: Reportage] [was: 2021-01-13 Tom to evaluate TimescaleDB] [Topic: Longer term metric retention] # 2021-04-21 SSD Disk Failing in US # 2021-05-19 decision to leave on the agenda. # 2021-06-02, 2021-06-16, 2021-06-30 nothing new #2021-07-14 deployed yesterday # 2021-08-11 Failing over again after a week. Hypothesis: issue with Postgres and number of tables.Some of the autovacuum jobs stuck in loops reading the statistics. # 2021-08-25 No update.
  • 2021-01-13 OWG to send message to the servers we want to keep. [Reportage. Existing CDN servers] # 2021-03-24 Three servers stopped talking to us (shenron, naga and one more) # 2021-05-19, 2021-06-02 & 2021-06-16 pending #2021-07-14 in progress, half-done. 2021-08-11, 2021-08-25 Pending.
  • 2021-01-13 Grant to wipe thorns and the 3 other machines [AMS] [Topic: Longer term metric retention] # 2021-05-19 pending # 2021-06-02 Ramoth data drives wiped - decision: Grant to do final wipe of Ramoth and leave it until next site visit. Discussion about 16GB DDR3. #2021-07-14 Paul to update ticket with the decision.
  • 2020-12-02 Grant to develop some thoughts on what is next for us using AWS. [Topic: AWS] # 2021-05-19 & 2021-06-02 pending, 2021-06-16 postponed for a few weeks.
  • 2020-11-04 OWG to work out tile log archival and deletion policy at later stage. [Topic: Commercial CDN] # 2021-03-24 & 2021-05-19 deferred to future point.
  • 2020-10-21 Paul to write to Discourse ticket and email the board [Topic: Discourse] # 2021-06-16 pending.
  • 2020-09-09 Grant [Topic: AWS] Speak to AWS person about going ahead with open data program with official OSM S3 bucket. # 2021-05-19 & 2021-06-02 pending.
  • 2020-09-09 Grant [Topic: AWS] Talk to OpenAerial Map/HOT. # 2021-05-19 & 2021-06-02 pending. # 2021-06-16 Paul talked to HOT about OpenAerial Map. We can give them geotiff and can produce tiles from it.
  • 2020-08-12 Michal to try to rekindle excitement about people helping with imagery (on dev channel/imagery channel or Slack). # 2020-08-26 No progress.
  • 2020-07-29 Grant to enable background sync to AWS S3. [Topic: Ironbelly] # 2020-08-12, 2020-08-26 & 2021-06-02 Manually run, automated scripting to be added. # 2021-05-19 Grant to run the script again.
  • 2020-07-29 Grant to check with Wiki Admins on hCaptcha (reCaptcha replacement). [Topic: Wiki reCaptcha issue] https://github.com/openstreetmap/operations/issues/454 # 2020-08-12 hCaptcha people reached out and happy to help. Blocker on Mediawiki 1.35 being released in August. # 2021-05-19 blocker removed. # 2021-06-02 pending.
  • 2020-07-01 Paul to create a ticket about solutions to reduce incoming comms. [Topic:Revision of acceptable use policy to reduce incoming comms] # 2021-05-19 decision to leave the action item open. # 2021-06-02 discussion about priority for account deletion.
  • 2020-07-01 Grant to work out some of the questions for an online form as a solution to reduce incoming comms. [Topic: Revision of acceptable use policy to reduce incoming comms] 2020-08-12 need to think about the reply # 2021-05-19 decision to leave the action item open.
  • 2020-06-04 Paul to update the Github ticket "Adding API key support for tile.osm.org" https://github.com/openstreetmap/operations/issues/342
  • 2020-04-10 Grant to work out a table of different data bits, work out how they are backed up and what can be potentially improved. [Topic: High Availability / Redundancy of OpenStreetMap.org (and primary services)] # 2021-05-19 decision to leave the action item open. # 2021-06-02 pending.

Next meeting

Wednesday 8 September 2021 18:00 London time

Operations meetings are currently being held every 2 Wednesdays, at 18:00 London time.
Online calendar showing the OPS meetings.