Board/Minutes/2018-07-19

From OpenStreetMap Foundation

Location: Mumble, Thursday 19th of July, at 21:00 London time

Participants

Board members

  • Peter Barth
  • Kate Chapman
  • Mikel Maron
  • Paul Norman
  • Heather Leson
  • Frederik Ramm

Biographies

Guests

  • 2 guests

Open to all OSMF members.

Guests are welcome to speak at the end of the meeting on the topics that have been discussed. Please note that text messages sent on Mumble chat may not be seen by people who join using mobile apps.

Not Present

  • Martijn van Exel (Apologies)

Administrative

Previous minutes

Circular Resolutions

2018/Res10 Dorothea Help with Data Center Move

2018/Res10 Dorothea Help with Data Center Move
Offer the OWG 50 hours of Dorothea’s time to help with the data center move. Dorothea will track her time separately for this activity and let us know when it is up. The board will discuss separately further assistance to the OWG.
Accepted 2018-07-17 with ultimately 5 votes in favour: Peter Barth, Kate Chapman, Martijn van Exel, Mikel Maron, Frederik Ramm

Not voted 2: Heather Leson, Paul Norman

Previous action items

The list is sortable and collapsible. New items or updates are in blue.

Name Date Action item and status
All 2018-03-15 to send a reminder about etiquette guidelines on osmf-talk, talk & facebook page
All 2018-02-15 to clean-up the SotM draft policy document
All 2017-11-16 to send an email to members, months in advance of the 2018 Annual General Meeting, encouraging them to discuss and perhaps propose their own resolutions
Frederik 2018-04-19 to do a short writeup regarding the recent CiviCRM issues, which will be sent to experts who might be able to help
# The CiviCRM bug has been fixed
Frederik/Mikel 2018-03-15 to look at providing CiviCRM discount codes for State of the Map 2018. Will also look at how many people have already signed up and offer partial refund or suggest donation.
# 2018-04-20 Update: CiviDiscount has been fixed by Tom.
Frederik/Paul 2016-05-28 to prepare transparency document from transparency session
Kate 2018-02-15 to follow up with Grant about the technical workaround of having conference announcement banners on osm.org linked to landing pages on the website
Kate 2018-01-18 to initiate discussion about 2018 priorities over email
Kate 2018-01-18 to update the etiquette and add a reporting plan
Kate 2017-08-24 to write to the Advisory Board list about microgrants
Kate/Martijn 2016-05-28 to draft diversity policy
# No progress to report. Low priority.
Martijn 2018-06-21 to initiate discussion on the osmf-talk mailing list about refining the Local Chapter criteria. Suggested period for discussion: two weeks
Martijn 2018-06-21 to sign the OpenRailwayMap licence
# Done
Martijn 2018-06-21 to arrange a board working session on Microgrants
# Done
Martijn 2017-11-16 to create the draft of the microgrants policy, separating it from the attempted combined draft with the updated travel policy
Martijn 2017-10-26 to raise the question to the Advisory Board about whether they would like to have an archive of the AB mailing list
# Martijn will prepare a brief orientation document for the AB and will ask then.
Martijn 2017-07-18 to look at the process of regular reporting by the Local Chapters to the board and vice versa
Mikel 2018-04-19 to handle emailing and getting quotes from CiviCRM experts, in relation to our recent CiviCRM issues
# The CiviCRM bug has been fixed
Mikel/Paul 2018-03-15 to look at the ten most active mailing lists and see if people listed as admins are active in the moderator role, what is in place, and how they manage the lists.
# 2018-05-24 Mikel drafted email and both agreed on some modifications
Mikel 2017-08-24 to send email on the list to find businesses that would like to offer input on the Welcome Mat
Mikel 2016-08-19 to send round bullet points on diversity policy proposal
Paul 2018-06-21 to send the limesurvey evaluation he did to the board
Paul/Heather 2018-06-21 to check check software/services evaluation templates of other organisations. Related to our FOSS policy.
Paul 2018-04-19 to document the evaluation process of software and services used by the OSMF. Related to our FOSS policy.
Paul 2017-02-21 to separate the State of the Map (SotM) net profit discussion items and start the follow-up discussions
Paul 2016-10-28 to create a page on the wiki, listing software products which are used by OSMF and are closed-source and/or are externally hosted
# Was Peter's
Peter 2017-04-18 to make a list of requirements for email self-hosting and discuss them with the Operations Working Group
Topics: SotM | OWG follow-up | Board members' reimbursements | Microgrants update | GDPR update | AB update | AOB: Moving OSMF's registered place | Volundeer auditor | Thanks to Frederik | Guests: Microgrants question

State of the Map 2018

The State of the Map (SotM) 2018 conference will take place on the 28-30 of July 2018 in Milan, Italy (OSM wiki). OSMF will have a booth where you can become an OSMF member, donate or ask for information. There will also be some tables with representatives from Local Chapters, possibly a session related to Local Chapters and a Saturday session at 17:40 on how to "Get involved in the OSM Foundation!".
Lead: Kate

Suggestions:

  • to have a board meeting and also meet Michelle Heyden (our new accountant)
  • to have a board member to speak at the SotM session "Get involved in the OSM Foundation!", which is related to joining the Working Groups. Kate offered.

Action Item: Frederik to set up a time for the board to meet with Michelle Heyden, our new accountant

Topics: SotM | OWG follow-up | Board members' reimbursements | Microgrants update | GDPR update | AB update | AOB: Moving OSMF's registered place | Volundeer auditor | Thanks to Frederik | Guests: Microgrants question

OWG follow-up

The board has contacted the volunteer Operations Working Group - which is very busy with normal operations and the new Data Center move- about ways to help.
Lead: Paul

Move of servers from Imperial College to Equinix, Amsterdam (blogpost)

  • Everything on schedule for the physical move. Network connection might take a bit longer.
  • Equipment out on Tuesday 24th of July.

On discussions with OWG members: Caution, we should email the Working Groups, not WG individuals and then think everyone else is involved.

Administrative help requested so far regarding van hire and ferry tickets for the physical move of the IC servers and about servers' insurance.

OWG recruitment

Mikel introduced to the OWG a former colleague who is interested.

The Operations Working Group is looking for volunteers

Desired profile of candidates:

  • looking for people who can analyse our infrastructure, make plans, forecast future hardware needs, draw up budget etc. This does involve a certain level of technical expertise but it's not writing code, for example.
  • not looking for system administrators at the moment
  • see also OWG membership policy

You can get in touch with the whole team at: operations@osmfoundation.org

Topics: SotM | OWG follow-up | Board members' reimbursements | Microgrants update | GDPR update | AB update | AOB: Moving OSMF's registered place | Volundeer auditor | Thanks to Frederik | Guests: Microgrants question

Board members' reimbursement rules

Section 8 of the Board Rules of Order is related to gifts and reimbursements. Reimbursements received by OSMF board members must be reported unless:
  1. they are wholly unrelated to OSMF business or
  2. they are below £50 or
  3. they come from business relations already declared in the biographies.

Related discussion: 2018 Jun

Lead: Peter

Suggestion: to change the rule about reimbursements from other companies, so that they are publicly stated.

Points during discussion:

  • In small companies, some of these expenses are direct company expenditures and not reimbursements.
    • If we change the rule, OSMF might have unnecessary expenses. We could settle the issue by having good COI rules.
  • Stating these expenditures on the board minutes might be an overkill and disclosure on the biographies is sufficient.
  • Important for members to know if company is paying for travel for Face-to-Face board meetings or doing board business on company time.

Decision: continue discussion about whether the current rules are sufficient or if we need to change them.

Topics: SotM | OWG follow-up | Board members' reimbursements | Microgrants update | GDPR update | AB update | AOB: Moving OSMF's registered place | Volundeer auditor | Thanks to Frederik | Guests: Microgrants question

Microgrants update

Providing microgrants was a topic discussed extensively during the Face-to-Face board meeting in April, where a plan was developed. You might know similar programs from e.g. OSM-US, HOT or FOSSGIS. As a start and as a first trial we want to make a time-bound program where you can apply for microgrants until a specific date. Discussed were many of the details like the budget, a rough timeline and the need for a committee to help on with the selection and to provide some kind of “supervision”.

Related working session: Jul
Related discussions: 2018 Jun, Apr, 2017 Aug, Jul, May.

Lead: Heather

Suggestion: Session during State of the Map 2018 to get some community input. Proposed as a starting point, since not everyone is going to SotM. (post-meeting addition: There was a SotM lightning talk on 2018-07-30, room S1.5, for community feedback)

Topics: SotM | OWG follow-up | Board members' reimbursements | Microgrants update | GDPR update | AB update | AOB: Moving OSMF's registered place | Volundeer auditor | Thanks to Frederik | Guests: Microgrants question

GDPR preparation update

The General Data Protection Regulation came into effect May 25, 2018. The necessary steps for GDPR preparation have been discussed during the recent Face-to-Face board meeting (28-29 April). The Licensing Working Group published a document with a set of recommendations, the privacy statement and is working on other documents, such as the Terms of Use.

Related LWG discussions: 2018 Jun, May, Apr, Mar, Feb, 2017 Nov, Sep, Jul
Related Board discussions: 2018 Jun, May, Apr, Mar, Feb

Lead: Frederik

Changes required

  • to the API
    • halfway spelled out on wiki.
  • to downloading of data to the planet website.
    • Feedback from sysadmins: they're busy, doesn't sound like a big deal

Current status

Action items

  • Heather to respond to Kathleen Lu's (LWG member) questions
  • Some board and maybe LWG members to catch up at State of the Map

Topics: SotM | OWG follow-up | Board members' reimbursements | Microgrants update | GDPR update | AB update | AOB: Moving OSMF's registered place | Volundeer auditor | Thanks to Frederik | Guests: Microgrants question

Advisory Board - monthly update

The Advisory Board members are separate from the OSMF board of directors - individuals are either nominated by corporate members of the OSMF or invited directly by the OSMF board of directors. The OSMF Board of Directors will publicly minute, in the board meeting minutes, any communication sent to, or received from, the AB members. This monthly section is reserved for this purpose. Overview.

AB related Board discussions:
2018 Jun, May, Apr, Mar, Feb, Jan
2017 Oct, May (F2F), Apr, Mar, Feb, Jan

Lead: Martijn
  • Ajay Bulusu has joined the AB as the representative of our new Gold Corporate Member, Grab.
  • Rob Nickerson shared some updates from the OSM UK community about their Annual General Meeting in Manchester, which was combined with a mapping party. This was a joint event with Open Data Manchester (an ODI Node).
  • Some members of the Advisory Board will have a meeting at State of the Map.

Topics: SotM | OWG follow-up | Board members' reimbursements | Microgrants update | GDPR update | AB update | AOB: Moving OSMF's registered place | Volundeer auditor | Thanks to Frederik | Guests: Microgrants question

Any other business

Moving OSMF's registered place

Looking at a place attached to Cambridge University offering a registered address service. Michelle Heyden (our new accountant) has connections there.

Volunteer auditor

2017 finances: largely things are ok

  • 2016 end numbers did not exactly match start of 2017 numbers. Looking into it.
  • Suggested few small improvements regarding handling of expense reports.
  • He'll publish the report in next couple of weeks.
  • We might ask him next year.

Suggestion for next Annual General Meeting: discuss about vote for volunteer auditor.

  • we might want to propose to the same person next year, so we have someone established doing this

Thanks to Frederik for help during data center move

Thanked by Paul.

Topics: SotM | OWG follow-up | Board members' reimbursements | Microgrants update | GDPR update | AB update | AOB: Moving OSMF's registered place | Volundeer auditor | Thanks to Frederik | Guests: Microgrants question

Guest comments or questions

Guests are welcome to speak at the end of the meeting on the topics that have been discussed. Please note that text messages sent on Mumble chat may not be seen by people who join using mobile apps.

Microgrants question

Question by Nakaner

Are microgrants going to be discussed on the osmf-talk mailing list after State of the Map 2018, before voting?

> The plan is to consult everyone, not just people at SotM.

Topics: SotM | OWG follow-up | Board members' reimbursements | Microgrants update | GDPR update | AB update | AOB: Moving OSMF's registered place | Volundeer auditor | Thanks to Frederik | Guests: Microgrants question

Next meeting

Meetings take place on the 3rd Thursday of the month, at 21:00 London time, unless rescheduled.

The next monthly board meeting will be on the 16th of August, at 21:00 London time, unless rescheduled.

Meeting end