Board/Minutes/2018-12-20

From OpenStreetMap Foundation

Draft page with action items, circular resolutions - the date of the meeting might change.
Location: Channel "OSMF Board of Directors (Public)" on Mumble - 20th of December, at 21:00 London time

Participants

Board members

Guests

Open to all OSMF members.

Guests are welcome to speak at the end of the meeting on the topics that have been discussed. Please note that text messages sent on Mumble chat may not be seen by people who join using mobile apps.

Not Present

Administrative

Previous minutes

Circular Resolutions

2018/Res12 Preliminarily reject and individually inspect all membership applications from India from 15.11.2018

There had been a mass sign-up of 100 new accounts on 15.11.2018 from India, most coming from one single IP address from a company "well known" to OpenStreetMap. There had been a larger amount of complaints regarding edits from that company, who provide "mapping services" to other companies. This circular preliminarily rejects all of those applications and tasks MWG to further investigate them. There's a precedence case for similar action with the Skobbler-case back in 2011 (see https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/osmf-talk/2011-August/001139.html).
Rejected 2018-11-20 with 4 votes against: Heather Leson, Kate Chapman, Martijn van Exel, Mikel Maron

3 votes in favour: Paul Norman, Peter Barth, Frederik Ramm

More information (also posted on osmf-talk):

Those in favour argued that given the circumstances under which the registrations happened, the memberships should be investigated and decided on later. There is no assumption of ill intent.

Those against argued that the original complaint -- the suspicion that these newly created accounts were fabricated with ill intent and required further investigation-- was not supported, and thus did not have a sound legal basis for delaying membership per our current membership requirements.

All Board members are against the creation of artificial OSMF membership accounts.

On the voting deadline
There is another related outstanding question about membership timings. The Articles of Association (AoA #75) state a member is eligible to vote when they are "a member or associate member (as the case may be) throughout the period of 30 days prior to the date on which the meeting is held". In years past this has been interpreted as the start of the day 30 days prior to the meeting, according to the timezone in CiviCRM*. This is how OSMF will proceed this year, meaning eligible voters need to be signed up prior to November 15. That is before the time of creation of accounts in question in the circular. This is not the only legal interpretation of the AoA, and something we will deliberate further next year.

The members being discussed are not eligible to vote this year as they did not meet the deadline.

*CiviCRM is the platform we use for our membership database and State of the Map registrations.

2018/Res13 Have the MWG pre-process financial need applicants

The Board have the Membership Working Group pre-process applications for a fee waiver due to financial need, using a copy of lack of money transfer facilities process except where the process calls for checking for money transfer facilities, send to the board for a decision on financial need. The MWG will gather a statement from applicants on financial need and handle post-processing to create the membership in the register.
Accepted 2018-11-24 with 5 votes in favour: Peter Barth, Martijn van Exel, Heather Leson, Kate Chapman, Mikel Maron

1 abstained: Frederik Ramm
1 not voted: Paul Norman

2018/Res14 Decide for OSMF to administer payments to regional SotMs

Procurement processes to sponsor regional SotM conferences can be difficult. The OSMF Advisory Board asked us to consider a program to administer these payments.

For 2019, OSMF will administer payments to sponsor regional SotM conferences. Corporate members are eligible to ask OSMF to administer payments. The OSMF treasurer will set an administrative handling fee to manage this service. After 2019, only regional SotMs associated with a Local Chapter will be eligible for this service.

Accepted 2018-11-27 with 4 votes in favour: Martijn van Exel, Kate Chapman, Heather Leson, Mikel Maron

3 disagreed: Frederik Ramm (reason: "the proposal was not mature enough"), Paul Norman, Peter Barth

2018/Res15 Unblind fee waivers

The Board currently decides on membership applications for a fee waiver due to financial need on a case-by-case basis. Vote on whether these applications will be sent by the Membership Working Group to the Board revealing the applicant's full name (description added by Dorothea).
Decision to be added. Voting closes on 2018-12-08.

2018/Res16 Approve financial hardship fee waiver 2018120210000083

The Board currently decides on membership applications for a fee waiver due to financial need on a case-by-case basis.
Decision to be added. Voting closes on 2018-12-14.

2018/Res17 Approve financial hardship fee waiver 2018120210000092

The Board currently decides on membership applications for a fee waiver due to financial need on a case-by-case basis.
Decision to be added. Voting closes on 2018-12-14.

2018/Res18 Approve financial hardship fee waiver 2018120210000109

The Board currently decides on membership applications for a fee waiver due to financial need on a case-by-case basis.
Decision to be added. Voting closes on 2018-12-14.

2018/Res19 Approve financial hardship fee waiver 2018120710000118

The Board currently decides on membership applications for a fee waiver due to financial need on a case-by-case basis.
Decision to be added. Voting closes on 2018-12-14.

2018/Res20 Approve financial hardship fee waiver 2018120210000127

The Board currently decides on membership applications for a fee waiver due to financial need on a case-by-case basis.
Decision to be added. Voting closes on 2018-12-14.

Previous action items

The list is sortable and collapsible. New items or updates are in blue.

Name Date Action item and status
All 2018-03-15 to send a reminder about etiquette guidelines on osmf-talk, talk & facebook page.
All 2018-02-15 to clean-up the SotM draft policy document.
All 2017-11-16 to send an email to members, months in advance of the 2018 Annual General Meeting, encouraging them to discuss and perhaps propose their own resolutions.
Frederik 2018-09-20 to update Roland Olbricht, maintainer of the Overpass API (downstream data controller).
Frederik/Paul 2016-05-28 to prepare transparency document from transparency session.
Kate 2018-02-15 to follow up with Grant about the technical workaround of having conference announcement banners on osm.org linked to landing pages on the website.
Kate 2018-01-18 to update the etiquette and add a reporting plan.
Martijn 2018-06-21 to initiate discussion on the osmf-talk mailing list about refining the Local Chapter criteria.
# Suggested period for discussion: two weeks.
Mikel/Paul 2018-03-15 to look at the ten most active mailing lists and see if people listed as admins are active in the moderator role, what is in place, and how they manage the lists.
# 2018-05-24 Mikel drafted email and both agreed on some modifications.
Mikel 2017-08-24 to send email on the list to find businesses that would like to offer input on the Welcome Mat.
Mikel 2016-08-19 to send round bullet points on diversity policy proposal.
Paul 2018-04-19 to document the evaluation process of software and services used by the OSMF. Related to our FOSS policy.
Paul 2017-02-21 to separate the State of the Map (SotM) net profit discussion items and start the follow-up discussions.
Paul 2016-10-28 to create a page on the wiki, listing software products which are used by OSMF and are closed-source and/or are externally hosted.
# Was Peter's
Peter 2018-09-20 to draft email to start off discussion on the osmf-talk mailing list about developing guidance for our involvement in politics/activism.
Peter 2017-04-18 to make a list of requirements for email self-hosting and discuss them with the Operations Working Group.

Action Item updates

Topics to be added

GDPR preparation update

The General Data Protection Regulation came into effect May 25, 2018. The necessary steps for GDPR preparation have been discussed during the recent Face-to-Face board meeting (28-29 April). The Licensing Working Group published a set of recommendations, the privacy statement and the Terms of Use.

Related LWG discussions: 2018 Oct, Sep, Jul, Jun, May, Apr, Mar, Feb, 2017 Nov, Sep, Jul
Related Board discussions: 2018 Oct, Sep, Aug, Jul, Jun, May, Apr, Mar, Feb

Advisory Board - monthly update

The Advisory Board members are separate from the OSMF board of directors - individuals are either nominated by Corporate Members of the OSMF or invited directly by the OSMF board of directors. The OSMF Board of Directors will publicly minute, in the board meeting minutes, any communication sent to, or received from, the AB members. This monthly section is reserved for this purpose. Overview.

AB related updates and board discussions:
2018 Oct, Sep, Aug, Jul, Jun, May, Apr, Mar, Feb, Jan
2017 Oct, May (F2F), Apr, Mar, Feb, Jan

Lead: Martijn

Any other business

Guest comments or questions

Guests are welcome to speak at the end of the meeting on the topics that have been discussed. Please note that text messages sent on Mumble chat may not be seen by people who join using mobile apps.

Next meeting

Meetings take place on the 3rd Thursday of the month, at 21:00 London time, unless rescheduled.
The next monthly board meeting would normally be on the 17th of january, at 21:00 London time, but it might get rescheduled.

Meeting end