Board/Minutes/2019-01-17

From OpenStreetMap Foundation

Location: Channel "OSMF Board of Directors (Public)" on Mumble - 17th of January, at 21:00 London time

Participants

Board members

  • Kate Chapman
  • Tobias Knerr
  • Heather Leson
  • Mikel Maron
  • Paul Norman
  • Frederik Ramm
  • Joost Schouppe

Biographies

Guests

  • 15 guests

Open to all OSMF members.

Guests are welcome to speak at the end of the meeting on the topics that have been discussed. Please note that text messages sent on Mumble chat may not be seen by people who join using mobile apps.

Not Present

Administrative

Previous minutes

Circular Resolutions

Previous action items

The list is sortable and collapsible. New items or updates are in blue.

Name Date Action item and status
All 2018-03-15 to send a reminder about etiquette guidelines on osmf-talk, talk & facebook page.
All 2018-02-15 to clean-up the SotM draft policy document.
All 2017-11-16 to send an email to members, months in advance of the 2018 Annual General Meeting, encouraging them to discuss and perhaps propose their own resolutions.
Frederik 2018-12-20 to contact Rail developers who have done pull requests in the previous 2 years by email regarding the GDPR tech. implementation call.
Frederik 2018-12-20 to remind the GDPR tech. implementation call on mailing lists after the 7th of January.
Frederik 2018-09-20 to update Roland Olbricht, maintainer of the Overpass API (downstream data controller).
Frederik/Paul 2016-05-28 to prepare transparency document from transparency session.
Heather 2018-12-20 to contact the Open Source Initiative after the 7th of January regarding affiliation.
# Done
Heather 2018-12-20 to send the background about the Crimean board decision (with the links) to the new board members.
# Done
Heather 2018-12-20 to draft email to start off discussion on the osmf-talk mailing list about developing guidance for our involvement in politics/activism.
# Was Peter's. Assigned to Heather on 2018-12-20.
Heather 2018-06-21 to initiate discussion on the osmf-talk mailing list about refining the Local Chapter criteria.
# Suggested period for discussion: two weeks. Was Martijn's. Assigned to Heather on 2018-12-20.
Kate 2018-12-20 to write to the Data Working Group to see if there's anything further the board can do to support them.
Peter 2017-04-18 to make a list of requirements for email self-hosting and discuss them with the Operations Working Group.
# Not necessarily a board action item. Kate will follow up with Peter (decided on 2018-12-20.
Kate 2018-02-15 to follow up with Grant about the technical workaround of having conference announcement banners on osm.org linked to landing pages on the website.
Kate 2018-01-18 to update the etiquette and add a reporting plan.
Mikel/Paul 2018-03-15 to look at the ten most active mailing lists and see if people listed as admins are active in the moderator role, what is in place, and how they manage the lists.
# 2018-05-24 Mikel drafted email and both agreed on some modifications.
Mikel 2016-08-19 to send round bullet points on diversity policy proposal.
Paul 2018-04-19 to document the evaluation process of software and services used by the OSMF. Related to our FOSS policy.
Paul 2017-02-21 to separate the State of the Map (SotM) net profit discussion items and start the follow-up discussions.
Paul 2016-10-28 to create a page on the wiki, listing software products which are used by OSMF and are closed-source and/or are externally hosted.
# Was Peter's
Topics: Crimea decision | Logistics | F2F | GDPR | AB | AOB: Microgrants | Closed: 100 Indian accounts | Admin. Assist. contract

Crimea decision

Timeline above.

  • Background has been provided to new board members Tobias and Joost.
  • New draft statement, based on the one Martijn (previous Secretary) had created, was shared internally.
    • Paul, Frederik and Peter (DWG members chose to abstain from the board decision and from drafting the initial statement. This was not because of Conflict of Interest (CoI), as there's no CoI involved between OSMF duties on a Working Group and OSMF duties on the board, but because it removes one potential criticism from the process. (post-meeting addition)
  • Feedback on the new draft statement is asked from Frederik and Paul. Both agree. It is up to them to abstain from any voting.
  • Feedback to be provided within the next 10 days.

Board logistics

Rescheduling recurring board meeting day and time after January, time limit for setting agenda
Lead: Heather

Recurring board meeting date and time: Poll for other options.

Agenda

  • Decision: Set the agenda seven days in advance for regular topics, so it can be announced earlier and translated.
  • Urgent issues can be added afterwards if needed - the membership will be notified.
  • Closed agenda items: Reminder that an explanation has to be provided for topics added to closed portions of meeting.

Suggestions

  • Start the agenda internally three weeks in advance.
  • Add estimates of topic duration. In cases of many topics, either be mindful about duration or commit to longer meetings.

Decision: Further discussion deferred to board's internal mailing list.

Topics: Crimea decision | Logistics | F2F | GDPR | AB | AOB: Microgrants | Closed: 100 Indian accounts | Admin. Assist. contract

Face to Face meeting

The board will have a F2F meeting in early 2019.

Related board discussion: 2018 Dec

Poll for possible weekends. Most probable month: March or May.

On facilitation by Gunner

  • Availability: March is doable but hard - he prefers May.
  • No objection mentioned on having him facilitate the meeting.
  • He offered to do remote facilitation as well, to help with things prior to the F2F meeting.

On location

  • Canada was suggested if it is easier for Gunner in March.

Action item: Kate to ask Gunner if a F2F meeting in Canada in March would work for him.

Topics: Crimea decision | Logistics | F2F | GDPR | AB | AOB: Microgrants | Closed: 100 Indian accounts | Admin. Assist. contract

GDPR preparation update

The General Data Protection Regulation came into effect May 25, 2018. The necessary steps for GDPR preparation have been discussed during the recent Face-to-Face board meeting (28-29 April). The Licensing Working Group published a set of recommendations, the privacy statement and the Terms of Use.

Related LWG discussions: 2018 Oct, Sep, Jul, Jun, May, Apr, Mar, Feb, 2017 Nov, Sep, Jul
Related Board discussions: 2018 Dec, Oct, Sep, Aug, Jul, Jun, May, Apr, Mar, Feb

  • Frederik has reached out to Rails developers and has to reach out to non-OSM Rails coders.

On timestamps: The LWG came to the conclusion that timestamps can stay as is.

Topics: Crimea decision | Logistics | F2F | GDPR | AB | AOB: Microgrants | Closed: 100 Indian accounts | Admin. Assist. contract

Advisory Board - monthly update

The Advisory Board members are separate from the OSMF board of directors - individuals are either nominated by Corporate Members of the OSMF or invited directly by the OSMF board of directors. The OSMF Board of Directors will publicly minute, in the board meeting minutes, any communication sent to, or received from, the AB members. This monthly section is reserved for this purpose. Overview.

AB related updates and board discussions:
2018 Dec, Oct, Sep, Aug, Jul, Jun, May, Apr, Mar, Feb, Jan
2017 Oct, May (F2F), Apr, Mar, Feb, Jan

Lead: Heather
  • Mikel asked the AB members what they think about more thorough reporting of the AB communications (Related osmf-talk message by Christoph Hormann - FOSSGIS).

Post-meeting additions:

  • BM1 asked about the desired role for the Advisory Board and presented their view about sharing information, regular discussions and maybe a regular call with agenda items, while maintaining the AB mailing list as a space for private discussion, if needed.
  • BM2 mentioned that the AB does not have an opinion as a group; it is a group of individuals whom the board or the working groups can ask for advice. Adding more privileges would make the admittance of corporate members based simply on how much they pay highly problematic.
  • BM1 responded that the OSMF Board needs information on a more reliable basis and the AB can be part of that.
  • Christoph (FOSSGIS) pointed out that his suggestion was a change in the way the AB works, by delivering advice after deliberation in a more specific fashion, to be published in full for transparency.
  • BM1 mentioned that in their view there should always be space for private discussion in the AB and it should not communicate separate from the Board. They also suggested the organisation of an open real time meeting, as not every company has a representative in the AB.
  • Local Chapter (LC) representative was interested in hearing the view of corporate members and presented their vision about the AB mailing list being a safe place for discussions to get constructive feedback. Also wondered whether the Chatham House Rules could be applied on the AB mailing list.
  • BM3 was interested in hearing the view of other AB members.

Colour key:

Topics: Crimea decision | Logistics | F2F | GDPR | AB | AOB: Microgrants | Closed: 100 Indian accounts | Admin. Assist. contract

Any other business

Microgrants

  • Invitation to board and OSMF members to start working again on Microgrants.

Guest comments or questions

Guests are welcome to speak at the end of the meeting on the topics that have been discussed. Please note that text messages sent on Mumble chat may not be seen by people who join using mobile apps.

No comments or questions.

Topics: Crimea decision | Logistics | F2F | GDPR | AB | AOB: Microgrants | Closed: 100 Indian accounts | Admin. Assist. contract

Closed portion of meeting

100 account sign-ups from India on 15.11.2018

Discussion related to the sign-up of 100 new accounts on 15.11.2018 from India, most coming from one single IP address from a company known to OpenStreetMap. There have been complaints in the past regarding edits from that company, who provides mapping services to other companies. There is some new information available regarding the sign-ups, which will become known to the membership soon. The board has sent emails to the company before the holidays and discussion will probably focus on the course of action, in light of the new information.

2018 Nov: The board rejected the proposal to preliminarily reject and individually inspect all membership applications from India from 15.11.2018 - thus all those memberships were accepted. The new members were not eligible to vote at the board election on the 15h of December, 2018. There's a precedence case for similar action with the Skobbler-case back in 2011.

Related osmf-talk discussion: 2018 Nov

  • Voice call will be scheduled with GlobalLogic.
  • Participants: two board members (and Dorothea for note-taking)
  • Suggested communication channel: Mumble
  • Will ask for recording for note-taking purposes, which will be internally shared with board.

Decisions

  • Details from the MWG report won't be disclosed.
  • Questions will be scripted beforehand.
  • Send message that a company working at scale in OSM should work transparently and honestly.

Renewal of Administrative Assistant's contract

Dorothea's contract is up in March.

Past discussions: 2018 Jan, Feb, 2017 Mar (closed portion), Apr (voting - closed portion)

Notes won't be added, as the administrative assistant was not present. Related to Res2019/05.

Topics: Crimea decision | Logistics | F2F | GDPR | AB | AOB: Microgrants | Closed: 100 Indian accounts | Admin. Assist. contract

Next meeting

The day and time of the monthly, recurring board meetings will probably change.

Meetings used to take place on the 3rd Thursday of the month, at 21:00 London time, unless rescheduled.

Meeting end

Acronyms