Board/Minutes/2020-05

From OpenStreetMap Foundation

Participants

Board members

  • Allan Mustard (chairing)
  • Paul Norman
  • Rory McCann
  • Guillaume Rischard
  • Joost Schouppe
  • Tobias Knerr
  • Mikel Maron (joined approximately 4'20'' after start)

Biographies.

Guests

Open to all OSMF members.

Guests are welcome to speak at the end of the meeting on the topics that have been discussed.

Not Present

Administrative

Previous minutes

Circular Resolutions

Board_Rules_of_Order#7._Circular_Resolutions

2020/Res19 Adopt Conflict of Interest Policy

Adopt the Conflict of Interest Policy. Text is https://hackmd.io/wlwnR25RToKbiLIB7Q5PWg?view, the version as of May 1, 2020 at 11:10 AM GMT, marked "20200501 Final". Also attached.*

Unanimously accepted on 2020-05-08 with 7 votes in favour: Mikel Maron, Rory McCann, Guillaume Rischard, Joost Schouppe, Tobias Knerr, Paul Norman, Allan Mustard.

  • File type: .odt, file size: 24 KB

2020/Res20 Approve financial hardship fee waiver 2020042310000367

The Board currently decides on membership applications for a fee waiver due to financial need on a case-by-case basis.

Did not pass on 2020-05-10 with 3 votes in against: Tobias Knerr, Rory McCann ("Only 5 mapping days in the last 12 months"), Guillaume Rischard ("No significant contribution").
2 abstained: Joost Schouppe ("I don't map anything at all during mapathons I'm involved in. Maybe the same goes here? However, too little info to understand!"), Mikel Maron ("would like to hear more about their contribution").
2 not voted: Paul Norman, Allan Mustard.

2020/Res21 Ask corporate counsel for advice on latest Local Chapter application changes

I propose to email, and liaise with. Francis Davey, the OSMF's pro-bono corporate counsel, for a (simple?) review of the proposed new Local Chapter agreement (which we hope to sign with OSMUS). If this proposal/CR passes, I (Rory) will liaise with them.

Accepted on 2020-05-10 with 6 votes in favour: Joost Schouppe, Allan Mustard ("Yes, good idea to run it past counsel"), Tobias Knerr, Mikel Maron, Paul Norman, Rory McCann.
1 abstained: Guillaume Rischard.

2020/Res22 Approve financial hardship fee waiver 2020021810000166

The Board currently decides on membership applications for a fee waiver due to financial need on a case-by-case basis.

Accepted on 2020-05-18 with 5 votes in favour: Joost Schouppe, Tobias Knerr, Paul Norman, Rory McCann (they have provided the standard level of evidence for financial hardship), Mikel Maron.
2 disagreed: Guillaume Rischard (applicant has also applied for a microgrant. If funds can flow in one direction, they can flow in the other, or be deducted from an eventual microgrant), Allan Mustard.

2020/Res23 Approve financial hardship fee waiver 2020051210000251

The Board currently decides on membership applications for a fee waiver due to financial need on a case-by-case basis.

Accepted on 2020-05-20 with 5 votes in favour: Joost Schouppe, Tobias Knerr, Guillaume Rischard, Mikel Maron, Allan Mustard (#1 mapper in their country, and if they are unemployed, they have financial need #comment modified as it contained identifiable information).
2 not voted: Paul Norman, Rory McCann.

2020/Res24 Approve financial hardship fee waiver 2020051210000279

The Board currently decides on membership applications for a fee waiver due to financial need on a case-by-case basis.

Accepted on 2020-05-20 with 5 votes in favour: Tobias Knerr, Joost Schouppe (Accepting because under the active contributor program, they would definitely be accepted. And it is quite a big percentage of their monthly income anyway), Guillaume Rischard, Mikel Maron, Allan Mustard.
2 not voted: Paul Norman, Rory McCann.

Previous action items

See Board/Action_Items.

Topics: Licence for standard style tiles | Microgrants update | Argentina LC application | Small change to active contributor membership program | Fee waivers for full membership | Publication of pseudonymous membership lists | Conflict of Interest rules for WGs | Update on tile server overload | AB update | LC presentation: OSM á Íslandi

Licence for standard style tiles

LWG recommends to the board that we license the osm.org "standard" style tiles on ODbL 1.0 "Produced Work" terms, dropping the historic CC BY-SA 2.0 licence.

Past related LWG (if not stated) and board minutes:

Tobias

Action item: Tobias to create a circular resolution.

Topics: Licence for standard style tiles | Microgrants update | Argentina LC application | Small change to active contributor membership program | Fee waivers for full membership | Publication of pseudonymous membership lists | Conflict of Interest rules for WGs | Update on tile server overload | AB update | LC presentation: OSM á Íslandi

Microgrants update

The call for microgrant applications has closed, and the 49 proposals are on the OSM wiki.

Background:
Providing microgrants was a topic discussed extensively during the 2018 Face-to-Face board meeting, where a plan was developed. You might know similar programs from e.g. OSM-US, HOT or FOSSGIS. As a start and as a first trial we want to make a time-bound program where you can apply for microgrants until a specific date. A consultation document was shared in 2018 with the membership and the Advisory Board members, which contained an outline and top questions. There were also two microgrant-related sessions at the State of the Map 2018 conference (read some discussion points and questions).

Work on Microgrants was paused in 2018 and restarted after the 2019 F2F meeting.

Related board discussions/decisions:

Related osmf-talk discussions:

Related board working sessions: 2019 Aug & Oct, 2018 Jul & Sep.
Related SotM 2018 session: there was a lightning talk, for community feedback

Joost
  • Calls from community to make sure that process is transparent. Others to just let them be and just minute the meetings.
  • Board suggestion of having a curated observer joining the meetings, selected by board. Microgrants committee agreed.
  • Board has veto on any proposal.

Suggestions

  • board members with issues with a proposal to communicate them to team.
  • to fund some proposals from WG funding instead.

On weeklyOSM proposal: Deepl.com API use for weeklyOSM

Proposal: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Microgrants/Microgrants_2020/Proposal/Deepl.com_API_use_for_weeklyOSM

Discussion on whether the board should fund the proposal directly or ask the Communication Working Group (CWG) to decide.

Some points during discussion

  • Not have formality for formality's shake.
  • No work for CWG - not asking them to decide or manage the account.
  • It's better the Working Groups to do the work and the board to stay more strategic.

Topics: Licence for standard style tiles | Microgrants update | Argentina LC application | Small change to active contributor membership program | Fee waivers for full membership | Publication of pseudonymous membership lists | Conflict of Interest rules for WGs | Update on tile server overload | AB update | LC presentation: OSM á Íslandi
Motion: OSMF to open an account with Deepl and give access to weeklyOSM and CWG and any Working Group that wants to use it.

Not seconded, so motion died.

Action item: Guillaume to contact the CWG and enquire whether they are ok with OSMF opening a DeepL account, and give access to weeklyOSM, to CWG and to any other Working Group who asks.

Topics: Licence for standard style tiles | Microgrants update | Argentina LC application | Small change to active contributor membership program | Fee waivers for full membership | Publication of pseudonymous membership lists | Conflict of Interest rules for WGs | Update on tile server overload | AB update | LC presentation: OSM á Íslandi

Argentina Local Chapter Application

Asociación Civil Geolibres has applied to become the OSMF Local Chapter for Argentina. All necessary documents and translations have been received. The local and membership consultation period will end on the 18th of May, 2020.

Local consultation: OSM-talk-ar
Membership consultation: osmf-talk

Joost

Community and membership feedback

  • Some fundamental remarks by OSMF members.
  • Positive feedback from members of local community.
  • Willingness on osmf mailing list to find creative solution to technical issues of application.
  • Argentina team is working on a response.

Topics: Licence for standard style tiles | Microgrants update | Argentina LC application | Small change to active contributor membership program | Fee waivers for full membership | Publication of pseudonymous membership lists | Conflict of Interest rules for WGs | Update on tile server overload | AB update | LC presentation: OSM á Íslandi

Small change to the process of the active contributor membership program

Background: If you are an active contributor to the OpenStreetMap project, you should be able to vote for the benefit of the project. The membership fee should not be a barrier. The Membership Working Group is implementing the active contributor membership program, which is replacing the old program, where the membership fee was waived in cases of financial hardship or lack of suitable money transfer ability.

Related board discussions:

Joost
  • The Membership Working Group (MWG) has generated a FAQ based on the feedback. Will probably send it to osmf-talk for awareness.

Action item: Joost to create a circular about approval of the active contributor membership program. (# Post meeting addition: Circular approved)

Topics: Licence for standard style tiles | Microgrants update | Argentina LC application | Small change to active contributor membership program | Fee waivers for full membership | Publication of pseudonymous membership lists | Conflict of Interest rules for WGs | Update on tile server overload | AB update | LC presentation: OSM á Íslandi

Investigation of fee waivers for full membership

Related to takeover protections.

Currently the old OSMF fee waiver program and the active contributor OSMF membership program grant only associate membership, not normal membership..

Some differences between Normal and Associate members:

  • Only normal members can be candidates for election to board.
  • Associate members can vote their preferred board candidates and can vote on some issues, but not on all issues. See Membership.
Tobias
  • Currently people who do not pay for their membership cannot vote on Article of Association (AoA) changes.
  • Changing this would require a change in the AoA (via a General Meeting), which is a lengthy process.
  • We need to investigate if there are any legal issues before implementation.

Quick poll on whether we should pursue this: Allan, Paul, Rory, Joost, Tobias in favour.

Action item: Tobias and Rory to check with our Corporate Counsel.

Topics: Licence for standard style tiles | Microgrants update | Argentina LC application | Small change to active contributor membership program | Fee waivers for full membership | Publication of pseudonymous membership lists | Conflict of Interest rules for WGs | Update on tile server overload | AB update | LC presentation: OSM á Íslandi

Publication of pseudonymous membership lists

Related to takeover protections.
Tobias

Suggestion of publishing list of usernames of OSMF members as an additional protection against takeover concerns and to improve transparency in general. Opt-in basis to alleviate privacy concerns.

  • Might be also useful to generate some metrics.
  • Need to modify the sign up process to get consent.
  • Ask Membership Working Group (MWG) if feasible and what modifications are needed.

Points during discussion

  • MWG has worked on showing a special mark on www.osm.org next to people who are OSMF members.
    • Pull request that died.
    • Looking only on specific user page (not providing list).
    • Andy was commenting on the PR issue.
    • Ruby coding necessary.
  • We are not allowed to provide the membership registrar to anyone who is not a member, associate member or employee. Can't publish unless opted-in.

Next step: come up with a plan of action.

Decision: Topic to be added to the agenda of the next meeting.

Topics: Licence for standard style tiles | Microgrants update | Argentina LC application | Small change to active contributor membership program | Fee waivers for full membership | Publication of pseudonymous membership lists | Conflict of Interest rules for WGs | Update on tile server overload | AB update | LC presentation: OSM á Íslandi

Conflict of Interest rules for Working Groups

Related to takeover protections.

The board on 2020-05-08 adopted the following Conflict of Interest Policy.

Past board discussions related to CoI:

Tobias

Voting

Motion to consult Working Groups (WGs) if there should be a Conflict of Interest policy for WGs and committees and what changes have to be made to the board CoI policy to make it applicable to these groups.

Unanimously accepted.

Action item: Board to consult Working Groups.

Topics: Licence for standard style tiles | Microgrants update | Argentina LC application | Small change to active contributor membership program | Fee waivers for full membership | Publication of pseudonymous membership lists | Conflict of Interest rules for WGs | Update on tile server overload | AB update | LC presentation: OSM á Íslandi

Update on tile server overload

Carried over from April meeting.

Overloaded tile cache servers have caused degraded user experience on osm.org and other tools and sites which rely on our tile service. The OWG and sysadmins have been taking steps to fix the issue, including:

  • amendment of tile usage policy to reflect current practice and the increased load on the tile infrastructure.
  • addition of cache servers
  • reduction of load. A number of default user-agents and heavy use apps have had their access to tile.openstreetmap.org restricted.
Paul
  • Discussing sponsorship from commercial CDN.
  • US overload seems to have been alleviated with the measures taken.
  • Upgraded CDN network in key places, including US.
  • Preliminary investigation related to security that can't be disclosed publicly at the moment. Will be shared with the board later.

Topics: Licence for standard style tiles | Microgrants update | Argentina LC application | Small change to active contributor membership program | Fee waivers for full membership | Publication of pseudonymous membership lists | Conflict of Interest rules for WGs | Update on tile server overload | AB update | LC presentation: OSM á Íslandi

Advisory Board - monthly update

The Advisory Board members are separate from the OSMF board of directors - individuals are either nominated by Corporate Members of the OSMF or invited directly by the OSMF board of directors. The OSMF Board of Directors will publicly minute, in the board meeting minutes, any communication sent to, or received from, the AB members. This monthly section is reserved for this purpose. Overview.

AB related updates and board discussions:
2020 Jan, Feb
2019 Jan, Mar, Jun, Jul, Aug, Oct

2018 Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Jul, Aug, Sep, Oct, Dec
2017 Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May (F2F), Oct

Joost
  • Consultation on hiring. Email by the board: "Framework for the foundation's hiring practices".
    • Interesting feedback by Rob Nickerson, might be applicable to Dorothea.
  • The board has scheduled an online meeting with Corporate Members of the Advisory Board.
    • Allan's initiative after enquiring how AB Corporate Members could have better communication with the board.
  • Addition of Grab representative, Vinay Jayanthi. (see all the AB representatives)

Topics: Licence for standard style tiles | Microgrants update | Argentina LC application | Small change to active contributor membership program | Fee waivers for full membership | Publication of pseudonymous membership lists | Conflict of Interest rules for WGs | Update on tile server overload | AB update | LC presentation: OSM á Íslandi

Monthly Local Chapter presentation - OpenStreetMap á Íslandi

OpenStreetMap á Íslandi is historically the first OSMF Local Chapter. Representatives from the Local Chapter are invited to talk.

About this section: New idea: Invite a LC to speak at each OSMF Board meeting.

Rory

Are you doing any outreach at schools with young mappers?

  • Yes. Problem is the age limit of 13.
  • Would like to let the kids walk around their street and enter the colour of the houses and the roof shapes.

Comments by board members

  • French project on roof-shapes some years ago. They might have related software.
  • Suggestion to propose a new quest for Street Complete for colour of houses and roof shapes.
  • Suggestion of JOSM add-ons, e.g. for 3D, but perhaps not for new mappers.

Topics: Licence for standard style tiles | Microgrants update | Argentina LC application | Small change to active contributor membership program | Fee waivers for full membership | Publication of pseudonymous membership lists | Conflict of Interest rules for WGs | Update on tile server overload | AB update | LC presentation: OSM á Íslandi

Any other business

Banking

Barclays

  • Last date for bank account 22 May 2020.
  • Guillaume called to get an extention.
  • We will get a check from them, which will be sent to our registered address and forwarded to Triodos.
  • There might be a gap between Barclays closing and Triodos account opening.

Triodos

  • Just a matter of time till account is open.

Transferwise

  • Have some money there.

The board members thanked and apologised to Guillaume for what he went through with the unexpected closure of our Barclays bank accounts (having to find a new bank, making any necessary arrangements and more).

Topics: Licence for standard style tiles | Microgrants update | Argentina LC application | Small change to active contributor membership program | Fee waivers for full membership | Publication of pseudonymous membership lists | Conflict of Interest rules for WGs | Update on tile server overload | AB update | LC presentation: OSM á Íslandi

Guest comments or questions

No questions or comments.

Topics: Licence for standard style tiles | Microgrants update | Argentina LC application | Small change to active contributor membership program | Fee waivers for full membership | Publication of pseudonymous membership lists | Conflict of Interest rules for WGs | Update on tile server overload | AB update | LC presentation: OSM á Íslandi

Next meeting

Board meetings take place online once a month.
New recurring date and time: On the 3rd or 4th Thursday of the month, at 17:00 UTC.

Acronyms