Board/Minutes/2020-10

From OpenStreetMap Foundation

Participants

Board members

Biographies.

Guests

Open to all OSMF members.

Guests are welcome to speak at the end of the meeting on the topics that have been discussed.

Not Present

Administrative

Previous minutes

Circular Resolutions

Board_Rules_of_Order#7._Circular_Resolutions

2020/Res47 Approve active contributor membership application 2020083110000326

The Board currently decides on active contributor membership applications based on non-mapping contributions on a case-by-case basis.

Did not pass on 2020-09-25 with 3 votes against: Paul Norman, Tobias Knerr (The research contributions are probably made as part of a paid job, and therefore cannot be considered), Guillaume Rischard (Agree with Tobias).
1 in favour: Mikel Maron (important research contribution).
3 not voted: Joost Schouppe, Rory McCann, Allan Mustard.

2020/Res48 Approve active contributor membership application 2020082510000436

The Board currently decides on active contributor membership applications based on non-mapping contributions on a case-by-case basis.

Did not pass on 2020-09-29 with 6 votes against: Mikel Maron, Tobias Knerr, Paul Norman, Joost Schouppe, Guillaume Rischard, Rory McCann (No sustained long term contribution to OSM).
1 not voted: Allan Mustard.

2020/Res49 Approve active contributor membership application 2020092210000271

The Board currently decides on active contributor membership applications based on non-mapping contributions on a case-by-case basis.

Did not pass on 2020-10-05 with 4 votes against: Rory McCann, Tobias Knerr, Joost Schouppe (they have been editing for a longer while, but should give us more to work with), Mikel Maron (not seeing evidence of contribution outside of mapping. so keep on mapping to get to the mapping days requirement).
3 not voted: Paul Norman, Allan Mustard, Guillaume Rischard.

2020/Res50 Accept the proposed new contract for Dorothea

In attachment* version as shared by e-mail (Sep 4th)**, with minor additions:
  • Added the suggested hourly rate.
  • Fixed a mistake by TT ([the phrase] rate "per day" changed to "per hour", page 8).
  • Removed the "Example Quotation and Order" (last section of schedule, page 9) which seems not necessary to be voted on.
  • Minor formatting of footer (number of pages).

Did not pass on 2020-10-16 with 1 vote against: Paul Norman (Discussion has revealed unsettled issues with the contract).
3 abstained: Allan Mustard, Rory McCann, Joost Schouppe.
3 not voted: Guillaume Rischard, Mikel Maron, Tobias Knerr.

* file size: 35 KB, file type: .odt
** with Secretary
*** extended (was: 2020-10-09)

2020/Res51 Approve active contributor membership application 2020083010000426

The Board currently decides on active contributor membership applications based on non-mapping contributions on a case-by-case basis.

Did not pass on 2020-10-10 with 3 votes against: Paul Norman (Please re-apply with information about non-mapping contributions in the last year), Allan Mustard, Guillaume Rischard (No significant non-mapping contribution in the past year).
3 votes in favour: Tobias Knerr, Joost Schouppe (I think it's safe to assume this user is doing more stuff for OSM behind the scenes. The ACM information doesn't explicitly state that "other contributions" need to be recent), Rory McCann (Although there has not been a lot of activity recently, there was a lot in the past. While moving from (I assume) (regular) OSMF membership to associate membership has downsides, it's someone's choice if they want to do that).
1 abstained: Mikel Maron (I'd like to have more information on non mapping contribution over the last year. Please provide more info or apply again with more detail. With that, don't see an issue).

2020/Res52 Update ban policy to clarify procedures and length of bans

The current ban policy doesn't reflect how moderators are able to ban users for longer periods of time.

In practice, long-term blocks are (rarely) necessary for repeat offenders or grave cases. Before the website allowed this, DWG members had to contact the sysadmins to get these blocks extended manually, which was tedious.

The proposal is to update the policy to reflect current practice.

The proposed changes are shown at https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/w/index.php?title=User%3AStereo%2FDraft_ban_policy&type=revision&diff=7653&oldid=7651

Voting closed on 2020-10-19 with:
4 in favour: Paul Norman, Allan Mustard, Joost Schouppe, Guillaume Rischard.
1 against: Tobias Knerr (There are open questions regarding the interpretation of some changes in the wording. Also, this is not an urgent matter, so a circular resolution (with its relatively lesser transparency and opportunity for community input) is not the best format for this decision).
2 Loomio blocks: Mikel Maron (This propoal does the opposite of clarifying, rather it makes the process less clear. Let's discuss further), Rory McCann (This is much much too vague. "consensus within DWG" could mean "100% of DWG members agree (ie no abstinations)" or "I posted on the IRC channel and within 2 hrs I didn't hear any objections". So which is it?)

2020/Res53 Uphold Data Working Group ban on user jdd 3 AKA John D.

User jdd 3 has appealed their one-year ban from editing OSM to the Board on the advice of DWG member SomeoneElse. Their appeal was received by electronic mail from address ________* and was addressed both to board@osmfoundation.org and to individual Board members.

Passed on 2020-10-19 with 7 votes in favour: Paul Norman, Tobias Knerr (Personal information, notably the user's email address, should be removed from the text of the circular before we publish it in the minutes), Mikel Maron, Guillaume Rischard, Joost Schouppe, Rory McCann, Allan Mustard.

* Known to board. Currently not shown.

Previous action items

See Board/Action_Items.

Action items updates

Treasurer's report

Attribution Guidelines status update

The board had received a draft attribution guideline by the Licensing Working Group (LWG) and is working on its text.

Attribution related meetings, excluding recurring board and LWG meetings

Attribution related board minutes:

Attribution guidance related LWG minutes:

OSMF members related discussions:

  • Attribution guideline status update: 2019 Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec
  • Attribution: board letter to Facebook: 2019 Oct, Nov
Suggested by Joost.

Articles of Association amendment proposals

Related to this email thread on the membership mailing list. (you need to be an OSMF member to register. Archive of emails available to all).

Current Articles of Association here.

Suggested by Joost.

Personnel committee

This is related to a discussion during the March 2020 board screen-to-screen meeting, where it was suggested to create a personnel committee. The resulting action item was to "Scope out boundaries on committee, safety measures, how to mitigate effects on volunteers, e.g. de-motivation".

Previous board discussion

Suggested by Mikel.

Advisory Board - monthly update

The Advisory Board members are separate from the OSMF board of directors - individuals are either nominated by Corporate Members of the OSMF or invited directly by the OSMF board of directors. The OSMF Board of Directors will publicly minute, in the board meeting minutes, any communication sent to, or received from, the AB members. This monthly section is reserved for this purpose.

Overview of board communications with representatives on the Advisory Board.
(single page displaying all the monthly updates that are linked below)
2020 Jan, Feb, May, Jun, Jul, Aug, Sep
2019 Jan, Mar, Jun, Jul, Aug, Oct
2018 Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Jul, Aug, Sep, Oct, Dec
2017 Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May (F2F), Oct

Joost

Monthly Local Chapter presentation

About this section: New idea: Invite a LC to speak at each OSMF Board meeting.

Arranged by Rory.

FLOSSK became a Local Chapter for Kosovo last month and will be presenting.

Any other business

Closed session

Discussing the suggested new contract for Dorothea, as worked out by TimeLessTime

Reason for being closed: this is a sensitive Human Resources matter.

Related to Res50 Accept the proposed new contract for Dorothea.

Suggested by Joost.

Guest comments or questions

Next meeting

Board meetings take place online once a month.
New recurring date and time: On the 3rd or 4th Thursday of the month, at 17:00 UTC.

See the Monthly Board meetings page to find out where board meetings are announced and for a subscription link to have future board meetings automatically added to your calendar.

Acronyms