Board/Minutes/2021-01

From OpenStreetMap Foundation

Participants

Board members

Biographies

Guests

Open to all OSMF members.

You are welcome to ask questions or to comment (via voice or on the chat) at the end of the meeting.

  • Please mute your microphone when you join, and to preserve bandwidth, refrain from turning on your webcam.
  • If you are in a low-bandwidth environment, you may benefit from using BigBlueButton's low-bandwidth settings.

Not Present

Administrative

Previous minutes

Circular Resolutions

Board_Rules_of_Order#7._Circular_Resolutions

2021/Res01 Membership Working Group CiviCRM work budget ($5000-7000)

The Membership Working Group (MWG) has asked a contractor to do CiviCRM work, which includes coding and sign-up process workflow adaptations for automatic verification of usernames, validation of edits for active contribution memberships, and simplified sign-up to osmf-talk. Details below.

The contractor is quoting us between $5000 and $7000, and says that work can be done before the end of April.
Deadline set on the 12th because of the circular blackout.

"It is actually good that we are starting the project now, and not before, because the latest release of CiviCRM includes some OAuth support <https://github.com/civicrm/civicrm-core/blob/master/release-notes/5.32.0.md#civimail> for the first time. This will help with some of the features you requested. I will also probably need to contribute some code to CiviCRM to make the OAuth support more robust, but at least I will have something to build on, and other CiviCRM users will benefit from the work. We can divide your request into four categories, for the sake of initial planning:
1) Verify an applicant's OSM username.
2) Look up an applicant's contributions and activate their membership if they meet the criterion.
3) Revise the application flow to incorporate (1) and (2).
4) Other tasks (mailing list sign up etc).
All of these involve custom development, and estimates for custom development are always a very rough guess, at best. I propose you budget 50 hours of my time to cover items 1-3. We can revisit item 4 later. Depending on the annual budget of OSMF, my hourly rate will be between $100 and $140, so 50 hours would cost between $5000 and $7000. If everything goes smoothly, I may finish much more quickly, so your cost could be much lower. The end of April works for me as a completion date. Again, if we run into minimal problems, the project could be done sooner."

Accepted on 2021-01-12 with 6 votes in favour: Tobias Knerr, Eugene Alvin Villar, Mikel Maron, Rory McCann, Allan Mustard, Guillaume Rischard.
1 not voted: Jean-Marc Liotier.

Circular by Guillaume Rischard.

2021/Res02 Pay Aspiration Tech (Gunner) $2,000 to facilitate Feb 2021 Screen to Screen meeting

This is the same amount as before.

[I do not have the 2021 budget in front of me, so I don't know if it was already budgetted, but this way it's 100% clear].

Accepted on 2021-01-14 with 6 votes in favour: Tobias Knerr, Jean-Marc Liotier (If that includes preparation work, then OK), Allan Mustard, Eugene Alvin Villar, Mikel Maron, Rory McCann.
1 not voted: Guillaume Rischard.

Circular by Rory McCann.

2021/Res03 Approve active contributor membership application 2020082610000238

The Board currently decides on active contributor membership applications based on non-mapping contributions on a case-by-case basis.

Did not pass on 2021-01-18 with 5 votes against: Jean-Marc Liotier (Very active this month but very sparse before), Rory McCann (not enough evidence of sustained activity), Eugene Alvin Villar (I would encourage the mapper to continue mapping for several more days so as to meet the minimum 42 days), Mikel Maron (we should encourage them to map just a few more days to qualify), Allan Mustard
2 not voted: Guillaume Rischard, Tobias Knerr.

2021/Res04 Approve active contributor membership application 2020121110000034

The Board currently decides on active contributor membership applications based on non-mapping contributions on a case-by-case basis.

Accepted on 2021-01-18 with 4 votes in favour: Rory McCann, Eugene Alvin Villar, Mikel Maron, Allan Mustard
1 against: Jean-Marc Liotier (Insufficient activity).
2 not voted: Guillaume Rischard, Tobias Knerr.

2021/Res05 Approve active contributor membership application 2021010310000041

The Board currently decides on active contributor membership applications based on non-mapping contributions on a case-by-case basis.

Accepted on 2021-01-18 with 4 votes in favour: Jean-Marc Liotier (I'm a little biased as I have been in touch with [the applicant]* - he is a good guy), Eugene Alvin Villar, Mikel Maron, Allan Mustard
1 abstained: Rory McCann (I had voted no, since the claims weren't backed up. But if it's a renewal, they were clearly acceptable before. So I'm undecided.)
2 not voted: Guillaume Rischard, Tobias Knerr.

* removal of name

Previous action items

See Board/Action_Items.

Action item updates

Treasurer's report

Attribution guidelines update

OSM Poland Local Chapter application

Stowarzyszenie OpenStreetMap Polska has applied to be the Local Chapter for Poland.

OSMF Japan Local Chapter application

一般社団法人オープンストリートマップ・ファウンデーション・ ジャパン (OpenStreetMap Foundation Japan) had applied to be the Local Chapter for Japan. Due to a trademark issue the application did not proceed for a long time, but it is currently again active.

Freemap Slovakia Local Chapter application

一般社団法人オープンストリートマップ・ファウンデーション・ ジャパン (OpenStreetMap Foundation Japan) has applied to be the Local Chapter for Poland.

Local and membership consultations.

Investigate paid votes

During the 14th Annual General Meeting the OSMF membership instructed the Board "to investigate how susceptible OSMF members are to being forced, or coerced, to voting a certain way, and investigate how easy it is to purchase votes in the OSMF. Since the Board agrees that the OSMF should be a democratic society, controlled by its members voting in free and fair votes, the board shall investigate if a change should be made to the Articles of Association (AoA) to safeguard and protect that goal, and consider whether an AoA amendment should be proposed to the OSMF members within the next 12 months".

Inventory of free and non-free tools by the FOSS policy special committee

The FOSS Policy Committee had been tasked to conduct an inventory of free and non-free tools and report to the board of directors. The committee will present their report.

Report from LCCWG on “Call to Take Action and Confront Systemic Offensive Behaviour in the OSM Community"

On 9th of December 2020 a group of community members sent to the osmf-talk* mailing list a statement Calling People to Take Action and Confront Systemic Offensive Behavior in the OSM Community (.pdf on the wiki, Gdoc here) asking amongst others:

  • people to support the statement, help co-write and translate it and
  • OSMF to implement the suggested changes.

The content of the statement was locked on December 16th and it includes the names of 310 community members and 47 organisations in support.

The board has asked the Local Chapters and Communities Working Group (LCCWG) to work with other parts of the community and come back in January with a suggested course of action. The LCCWG subcommittee which was formed for this task will present its report.

Related discussions:

* osmf-talk is the mailing list for OSMF members (Join). All past messages are available [https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/osmf-talk/ here.

Software dispute resolution panel

Board's proposal for a software dispute resolution panel. 6 persons have been nominated by the Working Groups so far (might change):

2020 board discussions

Requested by Allan.

Advisory Board - monthly update

The Advisory Board members are separate from the OSMF board of directors - individuals are either nominated by Corporate Members of the OSMF or invited directly by the OSMF board of directors. The OSMF Board of Directors will publicly minute, in the board meeting minutes, any communication sent to, or received from, the AB members. This monthly section is reserved for this purpose.

Overview of board communications with representatives on the Advisory Board.
(single page displaying all the monthly updates that are linked below)
2020 Jan, Feb, May, Jun, Jul, Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec
2019 Jan, Mar, Jun, Jul, Aug, Oct
2018 Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Jul, Aug, Sep, Oct, Dec
2017 Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May (F2F), Oct

Rory

Monthly Local Chapter presentation - OSM UK

Presentation by OpenStreetMap UK - an OSMF Local Chapter since 2017. About this section: New idea: Invite a LC to speak at each OSMF Board meeting.

Arranged by Rory.

Guest comments or questions

Next meeting

Open board meetings take place online once a month.
New recurring date and time: Friday at 14:00 UTC.

See the Monthly Board meetings page to find out where board meetings are announced and for a subscription link to have future board meetings automatically added to your calendar.

Acronyms