Board/Minutes/2021-07-16

From OpenStreetMap Foundation
< Board‎ | Minutes
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Draft minutes.

Location: Video room https://osmvideo.cloud68.co/user/ror-nt7-6tu
using BigBlueButton.

Please note that this video chat is not open to observers.

Date and time: Friday 16 July 2021, 14:00 UTC - Countdown
Acronyms

Participants

Board members

  • Allan Mustard (Chairing)
  • Amanda McCann
  • Eugene Alvin Villar
  • Jean-Marc Liotier
  • Tobias Knerr

Officers and board
Biographies

Minutes by Dorothea Kazazi

Not Present

  • Guillaume Rischard
  • Mikel Maron

Guests

Not open to observers.

Topic that won't be minuted

Suggested by Allan Mustard.

Status of hiring Senior Site Reliability Engineer

No update.

Microgrants - what's next?

Suggestions:

  • Wrap-up reporting from the grantees.
  • Make reports public.
  • Community comments on the reports.
  • Microgrants committee to submit final report and recommendations for any changes to the program.

Action item: Amanda to send note to the Microgrants committee and ask them to get all reports this month, get them on the OSM wiki and submit a final report and recommendations for any changes to the microgrants program.

Decision: Agenda topic for the public meeting (suggested by Eugene and Allan).

Bank account update

OSMF has now Bank of Ireland accounts.

Attribution Guidelines - what's next?

Decision during July Licensing Working Group meeting: Dermot McNally (LWG) to upload approved guidelines as webpage and document on the OSMF website.

Points mentioned during discussion:

  • Start enforcing the guidelines.
  • Talk to the Licensing Working Group (LWG) and ask them to contact major users of OSM data and make them aware of new attribution guidelines.

Action items

  • Tobias to ping Dermot McNally about the publication of the attribution guidelines by the Licensing Working Group.
  • Tobias to update the OSM wiki after the guidelines are formally published.
  • Jean-Marc to talk to the Licensing Working Group.

Local Chapters - what's next?

Suggested by Amanda McCann.

Difficulties in becoming a Local Chapter

  • Legal framework: There are communities that face particular obstacles in terms of legal framework and have difficulties in registering with their governments in order to become a Local Chapter.
  • Financial: Some local communities don't have the financial resources to register with local authorities.

Suggestions

  • Identify commonalities and possible solutions: Eugene Alvin Villar (OSMF board) and Naveen Francis to discuss similarities of difficulties faced by OSM Philippines and OSM India.
  • Financial support: Provide one-time grants to local communities to become local chapters.
  • Allow less formal types of affiliation: have charter, membership process, board - but not needing governmental registration. Reason: countries like Cuba which are prevented from becoming Local Chapters (can't be affiliated with foreign entity).

Other points mentioned

  • The board should not force communities to become Local Chapters but provide support.
  • Variety of types of associations in Europe, not necessarily requiring institutional formalisation.
  • OSMF provides to all user groups organisation on the OSM wiki and addition of events to calendar, regardless of formalisation.

Decision: Addition of topic to the public July board meeting.

On Uganda local chapter application

The board has not received a response.

Formation of the takeover protection special committee

Circular "To appoint Andy Allan and Michael Collinson to special committee on takeover protection" passed.

Next step: Inform Andy Allan and Michael Collinson.

OSMF events at State of the Map 2021: Lessons learned

Suggestion: Promote the video of the board questioning session once published.

Next steps for the draft strategic plan outline now that it's been out for comment

The draft strategic plan outline was shared with OSMF members on May 14th 2021 for comments.

An action item of the 2020-10 screen-to-screen board meeting was for Allan Mustard to circulate a strategic plan outline to the rest of the board members and drive forward the topic (which would then serve fundraising asks in 2021) (Topics: OSMF fundraising and Wrap-up session). The outline was created in October 2020 and board members have provided feedback on it. The draft will be published for community consultation once most board members agree that it doesn't need any further refinement.

Previous related board discussions

Suggested by Allan Mustard.

Decision: Vote during July board meeting.

Spreadsheet for collating information on a possible move out of the UK

The board has received communications from various countries.

Professor Mocnik's request to analyze IP addresses

Suggested by Allan Mustard.

Does it violate our privacy policy?

Suggestion: Perform the aggregation of data ourselves.

Action item: Jean-Marc to talk to the professor and enquire about work load for board members if they do the analysis and data aggregation.

Opensnowmap trademark licence application

Action item: Amanda to create a circular.

Request by some Local Chapters to have their boards cc'ed on Advisory Board and other OSMF communications

Suggestion: Make Advisory Board mailing list archive public. Discuss it on Element.

Action item: Amanda to contact the Advisory Board about the suggestion.

Any other business

Booking.com request

  • Meeting with their digital content marketing team took place and they had misunderstanding about the use of OSM data.
  • They implied that they don't use OSM data.

Next meeting

Public board meeting on Friday 30 July 2021, 14:00 UTC -- Countdown

Acronyms