Date and time: Thursday 25 August 2022, 13:00 UTC - Countdown
The topics of the agenda got locked one week before the meeting, on 2022-08-18.
Location: Video room https://osmvideo.cloud68.co/user/ror-nt7-6tu
- Eugene Alvin Villar
- Guillaume Rischard (Chairing)
- Jean-Marc Liotier
- Mikel Maron
- Amanda McCann
- Roland Olbricht
- Tobias Knerr
Officers and board
Minutes by Dorothea Kazazi.
Open to all OSMF members.
- 4 guests.
You are welcome to ask questions or to comment (via voice or on the chat) at the end of the meeting.
- Please mute your microphone when you join, and to preserve bandwidth, refrain from turning on your webcam.
- If you are in a low-bandwidth environment, you may benefit from using BigBlueButton's low-bandwidth settings. To assess them, click on the 3 dots on the top right of the black video-window.
- 2022-06-30 Accepted.
- 2022-07-28 Accepted.
2022/Res17 Update Fundraising Committee to Finance Committee
|Expand remit of Fundraising Committee to include budgeting, and change name to Finance Committee with the following Charter:
The Finance Committee gathers financial needs from across OSMF, forecasts budget requirements, develops the strategy for raising funds, maintains donor relationships and coordinates implementation of fundraising plans, and tracks actual spend.
The Finance Committee is open to members external to the Board, in addition to Board members. External members are approved by the OSMF Board. Some portion of the Finance Committee work may be limited to Board members only.
The Committee will communicate among themselves and meet periodically. The Committee will communicate its activities and results in the Treasurer's report at the OSMF Annual General Meeting, maintain minutes of meetings, and may share additional communication about its work from time to time.
What we do
Approved on 2022-08-16 with 6 votes in favour: Jean-Marc Liotier, Guillaume Rischard, Tobias Knerr, Eugene Alvin Villar, Roland Olbricht, Mikel Maron.
|Circular by Mikel Maron.|
Action item updates
Local Chapters - Minimum criteria to become one
Related to the 2022-02 action item: Jean-Marc to write up a proposal for the minimum local chapter criteria before the March 24 board meeting. Will be supported by Eugene. Board screen-to-screen 2022-02 session: Local Chapter minimum criteria (including formalisation/clarification on commercial activities).
- Discussion during the State of the Map 2022 conference with members of aspiring Local Chapters (LCs).
- Progress on question about the ability of Local Chapters to fund themselves and limits which might be put on commercial activities.
- Agreement on that it is important the Local Chapters to have a stream of income to fund activities.
- Any Local Chapter activity must be in accordance to the social goals of the Foundation: promotion of the OpenStreetMap project, revolving around OSM data and open data.
Next step: Formalise unwritten rules regarding Local Chapters' acceptance with clear criteria. Expand the document on minumum required criteria on the Foundation's website.
United Nations suggested OSM meeting/hackathon
Related to the 2022-06 action item: Guillaume to post on community.osm.org about the suggestion to have an OSM meeting/hackathon in the UN general assembly room.
- People in United Nations want to have a hackathon with a prize of EUR 5,000.
- Guillaume Rischard is going to meet them and might propose something in microgrant format as everyone who works in OSM should be rewarded and it should not be up to a jury to decide.
Working Groups - Documenting practices/“rules of order"
Related to the 2019-05-18 action item: Mikel to document Working Group, draft Working Group “rules of order".
- Working Groups are currently working well.
- Request for the action item to be removed.
On Membership Working Group
The Membership Working Group (MWG) is a bit dormant.
Suggestion: make a call for volunteers.
Related to the 2022-06-30 action item: Tobias to take steps on running the survey regarding the members' feedback on membership prerequisites' changes by the board, including contacting Allan Mustard and preparing an online collaborative document with the survey questions to share them with the board.
The email to the osmf-talk mailing list about the membership prerequisites survey is ready. (Post-meeting note: Read it here).
Software Dispute Resolution panel for iD editor
Related to the 2022-02-10 action item: Tobias to start the public consultation of to update the membership about the status of the software dispute resolution panel.
- Email to membership ready.
Points mentioned during discussion
- The software dispute resolution panel (SDRP) might act as a safeguard against bad behaviour, even if it doesn't do anything.
- Reevaluation of SDRP was supposed to be in January 2022 and it was planned to involve a community discussion.
Suggestions and comments
- Suggestion to invite other projects to join SDRP, on a voluntary basis.
- The board has sent two inquiries to the SDRP, including if they are willing to get involved with the OSM-Carto project, and there was no reply.
- Perhaps the SDRP is not interested in being involved with other projects.
- The SDRP probably cannot handle a significant load of cases.
- The board to share its opinion with the membership.
- Board members do not share the same opinion. Better to ask the membership for feedback and base the board's opinion on that.
- Share the thoughts of the board members with the membership.
- Board members can participate in discussions with the members representing themselves - they do not have to speak for the whole board.
Opt-in to pseudonymous membership lists during OSMF signup
Related to the 2022-02-26 and 27 action item: Tobias to check with the Membership Working Group about opt-in to pseudonymous membership lists during OSMF signup. See: On publishing pseudonymous membership lists [Session: De-bottlenecking the board]
Tied with the implementation of the membership prerequisites, but lower priority.
|Previous reports during monthly board meetings|
Please note that additional financial-related topics have been discussed during previous board meetings.
|Presented by Roland Olbricht (Treasurer).|
Discussion deferred but please see the approval of the 2021 financial account at the end of this meeting.
Initial State of the Map 2022 report
|State Of The Map 2022 took place in Florence (Firenze), osm:Italy and online from 19 to 21 August 2022.|
|Suggested by Amanda McCann.|
The board had again an "ask us anything" session.
On the board's ask us anything session
- Positive feedback from people about the board's work.
- Questions to the board included topics such as,
- Board diversity
- Strategic plan
- Board's work
- Commercial uses of OSM
The State of the Map 2022 recordings are being processed.
On board diversity
Suggestions to increase board diversity
- Mentorship support by board members during the year before the election to people from groups under-represented in the board (who might be interested to run as candidates).
- Ask and encourage people to run for the board.
- Outline that the board needs people with various skills.
- Remind people that with the current voting system, even if you stand for election, you don't take away votes from others.
On reasons for current status of (non) board diversity
- Self-selection factors, outside of the board's control: people need time and perhaps resources to be board members.
- Some people prefer to be involved with activities related to their profession.
- Not feeling comfortable/competent to run for the board.
- Marginalised people suffer from internalised imposter syndrome.
Other points mentioned
- Being visible from people from groups under-represented in the board helps.
- Comment during SotM that people are elected because they are technical.
- People should get involved with the OSMF first, before becoming board candidates.
Link shared during the meeting: State of the Map 2022 presentation by Florian Lainez: How to kill OSM.
Responding to requests for license enforcement
Suggested by Tobias Knerr.
The board received an email from a community member regarding licence enforcement for one of the OSMF Corporate Members that does not comply with the attribution guidelines.
- The board has not pressed on the issue of attribution in the last months.
- Nothing blocking the board for reminding data users about the required attribution.
- There is an action item for Guillaume Rischard to have a talk with a representative of the OSMF Corporate Members that shows attribution by clicking on the (i) and not as mentioned in the attribution guidelines.
- It is a Licensing Working Group (LWG) matter but the LWG has asked the board to do handle the issue, as the company is a Corporate Member and it is a sensitive matter.
- Respond to community member's email.
- Guillaume asked if any board member wanted to take over his action item (no response).
- Push the action item back to the LWG.
Vote on motion to include Amanda and Mikel in the discussion - approved
Amanda McCann mentioned that she has a conflict of interest* and cannot participate in the discussion, unless the board votes otherwise. Mikel Maron as well.
* Board conflict of interest policy.
|Motion to include Amanda and Mikel, who have conflicts of interest, in the discussion|
Approved on 2022-08-25 with 4 votes in favour: Eugene Alvin Villar, Guillaume Rischard, Jean-Marc Liotier, Tobias Knerr.
- Ask the Licensing Working Group (LWG) if they are going to take action. Amanda McCann offered to take it as an action item to contact the representative of the company about attribution.
- Talk with the State of the Map organising committee (SotM WG) about not accepting talks at State of the Map (SotM) from companies that do not comply with the attribution guidelines.
- Plan a meeting of the board with the Advisory Board representatives on attribution.
- Comment that the companies already know about the attribution requirements. (Post meeting additions: Some discussions of the board with Advisory Board representatives on attribution: 2022-04 Attribution guidelines messaging and enforcement, 2021-08 Attribution Guidelines, 2020-06: Meeting on attribution).
- Create a timeline regarding future actions on the attribution issue.
- Develop better lines of communication.
- Question on concrete advice that would give the board the desired result.
- Amanda McCann to plan a meeting of the board with the Advisory Board representatives on the attribution guidelines and enforcement.
- Guillaume Rischard to respond to the community member's email.
Advisory Board - monthly update
|The Advisory Board members are separate from the OSMF board of directors - individuals are either nominated by Local Chapters and Gold or higher Corporate Members of the OSMF or invited directly by the OSMF board of directors. The OSMF Board of Directors will publicly minute, in the board meeting minutes, any communication sent to, or received from, the AB members. This monthly section is reserved for this purpose. |
Overview of board communications with representatives on the Advisory Board.
2022 Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Jul
|Presented by Amanda McCann (Secretary).|
Action item: Amanda McCann to plan a meeting of the board with the Advisory Board representatives on the attribution guidelines and enforcement. (See the topic above).
|About this monthly section|
|In 2020 the board started hourly discussions with Corporate Member representatives on the Advisory Board and inviting Local Chapter representatives on the Advisory Board to give 10' presentations during public board meetings (this slot). A year later, during the 2021-04 board meeting, delegation of the Local Chapter presentation scheduling was suggested by the Secretary (Amanda McCann), who was previously solely responsible for that. Mikel Maron and Eugene Alvin Villar offered to help with organisation.
Presenter not set.
Any other business
Approval of financial accounts for year ending 2021-12-31
Discussed during the action item updates and the "any other business" section.
- Guillaume Rischard was the Treasurer for most of 2021.
- There was a question about accounting the funds to iD developer.
Funded work on projects used in core infrastructure (Nominatim, osm2pgsql, Potlatch, iD)
|Background on the funded work on projects used in core infrastructure (Nominatim, osm2pgsql, Potlatch, iD)|
|The board funded work on the following projects used in core infrastructure:
Please see the message by the board on osmf-talk (mailing list for OSMF members) and the subsequent discussion.
The proposals for osm2pgsql and Potlatch were originally submitted as Microgrant 2020 proposals (Potlatch 2 proposal, osm2pgsql proposal) but were not selected. The board approved to fund these projects directly, together with Nominatim and iD.
Related board discussions:
Board decision: 2020/Res38 Funding of projects used in core infrastructure (Nominatim, osm2pgsql, Potlatch)
Clarifications requested on the categories which include the expenses on iD developer, Nominatim, Potlatch and PGSQL (see filed linked below).
- Potlatch: is under "Grants Issued".
- iD: under Contractors.
|Motion to approve financial accounts for year ending 2021-12-31|
Additional files supplied:
Unanimously approved on 2022-08-25 with 7 votes in favour: Roland Olbricht, Guillaume Rischard, Eugene Alvin Villar, Jean-Marc Liotier, Tobias Knerr, Amanda McCann, Mikel Maron.
- 2022-09-08 Mid month board chat, not open to observers.
- 2022-09-22 Public board meeting Thursday 22 September 2022 at 13:00 UTC.
Open board meetings take place online once a month, usually on the 3rd or 4th Thursday of the month, at 13:00 UTC.
See the Monthly Board meetings page to find out where board meetings are announced and for a subscription link to have future board meetings automatically added to your calendar.
Meeting adjourned 60' after start.